Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

De-activated Guns

Options
  • 11-05-2007 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭

hi folks, i hope somewhon can help me with this one. im thinking about inporting a de-activated firearm from england. its a military antique i know it is possible to buy them here in the country, but the one i want is overseas. the problom is does anyone know where i stand where it comes to buying it. i have a license and do i need to license this one or do i not as it is de-activated.

Comments

There has been a few threads on this..

As far I as can remember, you need a license (or cert) for it..

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

You can get a letter of authorization from your super. Usually no problem with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

When you say 'antique', just how old is it? If its Flintlock you 'might' be ok (I'm not 100% sure though, I got some antique flinters from the UK without any issues). If its percussion or bolt action then you may need a licence, as well as that it has to be sent for examination to make sure it is not capable of firing.

You will need an import licence as well as an 'ok' from your local superintendant.

What are you looking to get out of interest? I was interested in getting a de-ac No4 Lee Enfield.......but its really not worth the hassle, just hanging out to see if anyone in this country has one, or puts one up for sale that I can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

well when i say its an antique i could be a little off the mark. im tryin to import a deactivated 50's russian ak47. i know the guards will have a field day when they hear that but if its deactivated it won be any harm. im also looking into a ww2 luger

stevoman wrote:
    deactivated 50's russian ak47

Doesnt count as antique I'm afraid :o, I'd guess you'd have a fair amount of trouble persuading your local super as to why you'd want such a piece, whatever about an Enfield, Garand, Mosin Nagant etc etc that are 'old' guns, the AK47 is still very much in use......in this country too I'd imagine.

EDIT: If you want it as a display piece, then an airsoft Ak47 is an option perhaps. They are pretty realistic, the higher quality ones are made from metal with wooden furniture and 'legal' to own once its below 1 joule.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭bubonicus

I was going to bring a DE-AC Thompson back from France. But after posting on here for advice, i decided against it. I think it's too much trouble. But if you have better luck, please tell us how you get on.

well i was recently in a gunsmiths and there was a fella there who was in taking a look around and he said that he did in fact have an a.k on display in his house it was of course de-activated. i came to the conclusion that he must have got it overseas. i will have to go into the guards and talk to them about it and see what they have to say on the matter. the reason behind wanting one is just a fact that im a fan of the rifle and would like to have it as a collection piece. you can buy good airsoft ones on ebay i seen alrite but the real deal would be nice. my dream however is to get my hands on a ww2 luger complete with the stamps from the third reich (purely for historical value!) cos im my opinion i dont think you can get a beter piece of military history

I hear ya stevoman! Guns are as much a part of history as documents, photos or medals. I've often looked at UK militaria sites and wished that we had such sites here where you could get historic deactivated firearms relatively easily.....and legaly! If I had my way I'd have every Mark and model of the Lee Enfield family of rifles........but alas I can only dream.

Unfortunately I cant see the Gardaí being keen on the fact of you having an AK47....deac or not.......just imagine if you 'miraculously' converted it to fire again!! :eek: :D

Anyway let us know how you get on, I'd be interested in hearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

'Fraid if it doesn't predate 1847 or thereabouts, it's not classed as an antique stevo.
    You'd more be looking for something like this than for an AK :D

AhernMusket.jpg

yeah i know it cagey enough so it is and the guards probobly wont be happy to hear about it, but i'l tell ye what, i'l go talk to the guards about it this evening and i'l let you know on monday when im back to work and i'l pull the thread back up. have a good weekend, happy shooting!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

Lads, I honestly dont think you will have a problem getting the authorization even an AK, particularly if ye already have FAC for firearms.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Hi stevoman,

I am a collector of WWII militaria and I already imported a deactivated Sten Mk III sub-machine gun and plan to import more (particularly German sub-machine guns). You will need to get an Article 7 Authorisation from your local Superintendent. Once you got that (for that you'll need the serial number and type of deactivation) you can import. As soon as the gun arrives you will have to let your local Garda station know that it has arrived. They will then:

1) Send the weapon to the Technical Bureau in Phoenix Park to make sure it has been deactivated properly OR send out the Firearms Officer of the local area (if he knows about firearms and deacts like in my case) to check that the weapon is deactivated. After that..

2) The Superintendent will issue you a letter that you can have in your possession this deactivated weapon for collection purposes (historical collection). The letter is renewable on the same date that the Firearms Licences are renewed, however it doesn't cost anything as it is not a "certificate" as such.

I'd say you may have problems with the AK but I cannot see any problems with a Luger. The Luger 08 is also one I would like to have in my collection.

Best,
    Preusse

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kryten

Best Ive seen, A deactivated Vickers Machine Gun on tripod, complete with water can (condenser) and a belt of Deactivated rounds. This was about 8 years ago in a since closed down gun shop in Doncaster. Price was only a few hundred pounds.

If I knew then, that all i'd need is a deactivation cert (easily available) and an authorisation from the super, I would have really gone out of my way to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

there is a shop in portadown called northern guns that sells alot of de-act ww2 weapons and has afew AK`s. Prices are good and at least you can see before you buy;)

Ak`s deactivated after 95 in the UK have the bolt welded to the frame so they can not be cocked or dry fired. Strange twist of the UK law is that any gun with a bi pod or on a firing stand does not have to have its action welded, so it will cock and dry fire. He had 2 Ak`s the last time I was in that were the long barrel machine gun type with bi pod and full working action. Also has smle, No.4, stens, K98 and some russian ww2 weapons.

Do not need a licence or permit to buy in Northern Ireland which is the crazy bit:rolleyes: unlike the republic:mad:

If you want to call northern guns the number is 00447783240867

• Registered Users Posts: 44 P38Man

These are possible, but again may be dependant on your local Super's attitude to guns. I collect WW2 militaria and have a Luger P08 (DWM so its actually pre WW2), a P38, MG42, and 303 Mk4 No2, plus a pile of accessories and associated bits of hardware. No problem getting these when I was in Dublin, but moved to another area and nearly lost them.

P38Man wrote:
    Luger P08 (DWM so its actually pre WW2), a P38, MG42, and 303 Mk4 No2

An MG42.....jaysus! That cant have been cheap! :eek:. I take it you mean a No4 MkII, right? :p....sorry for nit picking (You wouldnt be interested in selling......no? :D ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Not too bad.About 200 to 2.5 to 5k around Europe depending on condition 200 euro is rotten junk found in the ground or old bunkers,etc.
    5k you get almost arsenal condition with all the bits.
    Stevoman
    If you get a Luger with 3rd Reich stamps on it.It would be worth MUCH more in firing condition and worth the hassle of liscensing it as well.Not to mind that the Lugers were already going out of fashion by 1939 .The only reason the Germans held onto them ,there was a chronic shortage of sidearms for officers in the 3rd Reich forces.The officers were encouraged to purchase privately as well,as my grandfather had to do.Most of the Lugers were DWMs that survived ww1,were re stamped in the Weimar Republic time,and then restamped with Wehrmacht stamps. Even post WW2 they were reissued to the upcoming Federal republic police forcesand the East German folk army and police for a short while.So they would be stamped again.Those are the really valuable ones.:D
    Dunno why they would be so worried about deacted AKs.Worry about the working ones.:eek:

thats excellent information thanks cos that helps a lot folks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I always get the no.4 mixed up and call it a mk4, i think youve pulled me up on it before aswell,...

I wouldn't buy deacts, it should be a crime to butcher a collectable (and considered an antique in countries without a our 1845 no cased ammo definition).
    I see it in the same way as someone being told to have their sword/bayonet collection filed blunt..
    Im sure the gardai would be more accommodating of a pistol application if they thought it wouldnt be fired (maybe not so much of the displaying aspect).

I remember hearing of a rare canadian? manufactured WW2 issued colt being turned into an expensive paper-weight in the UK, the owner discovered its rarity after it was too late, could have made a mint selling it before it was wrecked.

Suppose theres not much choice with autos though.

Tell us how you get on.

kowloon wrote:
    I always get the no.4 mixed up and call it a mk4, i think youve pulled me up on it before aswell,...

I think I may have :p......needless to say, if someone here has referred to a Lee Enfield by its wrong model or mark number, then it was probably me who corrected them ;)

• Advertisement

whats the ball park price of a decent lee enfield. i dont know much about them so i wont try to mention models but i guess i mean the most widely produced model

Try the crowd in Bisley, dont have a link, google.

Think the price will depend on what youre looking for, those No.4 T models are a couple of grand methinks.

Think you can get common models of SMLE and no.4 in the UK for a few hundred

Dont know how much older guns with volley sights and magazine cutoffs would be, but id imagine it would weight the price somewhat.

stevoman wrote:
    whats the ball park price of a decent lee enfield. i dont know much about them so i wont try to mention models but i guess i mean the most widely produced model

For a de-ac or a live firer Stevoman?

As already pointed out by Kowloon, it depends what you want from it. The No1 would have been the model produced in greatest numbers. If you are a 'collector' you will look for certain features, makers, etc etc which of course can vary the value. However for a shooter all you want is something that looks nice with a good barrell :D.

There is a thread in the shooting forum by chem enquiring about a live SMLE, importation etc, look that one up, might help.

A nice Lee Enfield mk2 with PDF markings on it for me please.Any idea what they are selling for in the US?

A nice Lee Enfield mk2 with PDF markings on it for me please.Any idea what they are selling for in the US?

Probably about $99 or so.....:D

Probably about $99 or so.....:D

Buy 2 get 1 free, and remember you get 10% off if you bring your valuecard ;)

kowloon wrote:
    Buy 2 get 1 free, and remember you get 10% off if you bring your valuecard ;)

I'd well believe it :D......ye dont know how lucky ye are over there. On a Lee Enfield forum I frequent, a guy across the pond lately picked up a 1906 made No1 MkI converted to MkI*** for very few $$$, the nice thing though is that its serial number is 'ER 87', 'ER' was the prefix added to No1 MkI's which were supplied to the new Free State army after 1922!

I'd love to get one of them baby's back here!

Give us a link to a chat group/website that deals with L Enfields.Put in a post that you will pay Double for what somone paid for theirs if they have the PDF stamps/serial nos on them. . Anyone will think this a good deal.

You were talking about this before, would we be able to get one of the big surplus dealers in the states to find some and import them through a dealer here?
    I would be more than willing to put down the cash.
    Im assuming a dealer would have less issues buying a dozen than any one of us trying to import our own.

Any takers? or is this just wishful thinking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

links,,, cost???

working action???

state of wood and steel

Advertisement