Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

new 2.0 petrol engine MPG

Options
  • 11-05-2007 1:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭

have a new 2.0 petrol auto car... i am wondering is it harder on fuel for a few thousand km, until the engine settles in? will it be better on fuel when there are a few thousand km on it? ( honda accord)

have only 1200 km on it and the first full tank returned 31mpg
    and the second tank 33mpg....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

In my experience, new cars do get a bit better on fuel as the engine beds in. On the other hand, you may drive a bit faster as you get used to the car. Just keep an eye on it, time will tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Yeah not only will it become a bit more economical, it will become faster too as the engine lossens up. I doubt it that you will get better than 34-35 mpg on average,even when it is fully loosened up though(assuming you do the same kind of driving and keep the same driving style of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Plus its an automatic so less economical than a manual (assuming driven properly).
    Thats not too bad for a 2L though.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

30s MPG is pretty good for a car like that. You're probably not doing that much start / stop traffic and your foot is probably light enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

Four year old 2.0 Auto car here returning 34mpg here (tank method). It really depends on how it's driven, I've found it possible to bring it up to 38-39mpg or quite easily down to 25mpg.

• Advertisement
Advertisement