Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

unable to play online

Options
  • 11-05-2007 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭

hi all,

i enjoy playing game online when i get home from work at around 7.

but recently i have been unable to play as my ping goes above 300 or more between about 7:30 and 11:30. i am on 1meg from eircom. do guys think it is because of the contention it's 48:1. the ping is about 30-50 to English servers at any other time.

the thing is i used to never have this problem this has started in the last 3 weeks. also when i do a speed test i get a 99% quality of service.

i live in the rush north co dublin.

thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭bungholio

ugrade, there isnt to much of a price difference as far as i know

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

upgrading your connection wont work, this has been happening the last 2 to 3 weeks for me and im on the 2 meg package, to my mind its the contention ratio thats kicking in, during 7-11 pings are atrocious and online gaming is tolerable but sometimes i just log off in frustration at it

During the times of high pings and latency do a tracert, youll more then likely see what im seeing the first hop out is the one that is causing most problems for people

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Griffin87

yea its defiantly the cotention ratio.

will have to upgrade to the 3 meg package to get a better contention ratio.

they dont offer any bundels with this pakage though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Nexus

I have a 3 meg and my pings all over the place. You pay them all this money for a good package and u get shafed. Typical eircom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 noping

I have had eircom broadband since 2002 i think...might be 2004 and never had a problem once untill 3 weeks ago....pings are up the wall between 5pm and 11pm. Been doing a pile of tracerts trying to figure out where the bottleneck is and it seems to be at b-ras1.blp.dublin.eircom.net (between 70-299ms)

Gamings been out of the question with bout 120-180ms.

Its just droped down to 50ms now so im gonna get a few rounds of CSS in!!
    Still I think gone are the days of my 7ms ping :mad:

Looks like I might be making a call to Magnet!!!

pos11-3.coreb.cra.dublin.eircom.net

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

I too have had no problems with eircom until the last few weeks. I cant play online, downloads are very slow and even watching clips on youtube has become a nightmare.

I too, for the first time, am beginning to have thoughts of trying another provider.

Advertisement