Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biology Pop Quiz

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Do i get another question? if so name a disease caused by a prion?

Oh crap forgot about corrupts question. I dunno personally but answer his question as well plz next person.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Hahaha 'his'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭adam_ccfc

Do i get another question? if so name a disease caused by a prion?
    Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease (or CJD if you prefer!)

Emmmm... give one piece of evidence to support the Theory of Evolution by Natural Selection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭bright

comparitive embryology

how does amoeba -move?
    -reproduce?

They move by forcing the ectoplasm and the endoplasm into pseudopodia. They reproduce by binary fission.

What a joke of a chapter- bring back spyrogyra I say..

How are pollen grains formed?

• Advertisement

They move by forcing the ectoplasm and the endoplasm into pseudopodia. They reproduce by binary fission.

What a joke of a chapter- bring back spyrogyra I say..

How are pollen grains formed?
    The microspore mother cells divide by meiosis. Each of the newly formed haploid microspore cells then divides by mitosis, with both nuclei entering the one cell. This results in the pollen grain, with one nucleus termed the Tube Nucleus, and the other the Generative Nucleus.

What bones compose the Appendicular Skeleton?

err.....................thats an awful lot of bones you wanna name there. but its basically the bones in the arms, legs, shoulders,hands, feet and pelvic bone.Other examples would be the femur, humerus, metatarsals etc etc.

Name the protease found in the stomach and its precursor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭shazzyshaz

err.....................thats an awful lot of bones you wanna name there. but its basically the bones in the arms, legs, shoulders,hands, feet and pelvic bone.Other examples would be the femur, humerus, metatarsals etc etc.

Name the protease found in the stomach and its precursor.

the precursor is pepsinogen and the protease is pepsin

Name the gland that produces intestinal juice for the stomach.

shazzyshaz wrote:
    the precursor is pepsinogen and the protease is pepsin

Name the gland that produces intestinal juice for the stomach.
    Eh? The stomach secretes gastric juice, the intestinal juice is added in the intestines!:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Juice is also added to the small intestine by the pancreas (pancreatic juice -> water, sodium bicarbonate (to neutrailse the chyme) and enzymes) and the liver (bile)

• Advertisement

Right so anyway.

Name a hormone, gland it's produced from, whether exocrine or endocrine, what the hormone does and what deficiency or too much of the hormone can do (If it has that effect).

Insulin, islets of langerhans in the pancreas, endocrine regulates blood glucose levels, deficiency causes diabetes

name a type of bacterium involved in nitrogen fixation.(nitrifying bacteria is not the answer, i want a proper name)

Insulin, islets of langerhans in the pancreas, endocrine regulates blood glucose levels, deficiency causes diabetes

name a type of bacterium involved in nitrogen fixation.(nitrifying bacteria is not the answer, i want a proper name)
    The syllabus specifically states that the names of Nitrifying bacteria are NOT required, so that question is void.

Next, please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

Where does filtration take place in the urinary system?

the ehhhh kidney?

adam_ccfc wrote:
    The syllabus specifically states that the names of Nitrifying bacteria are NOT required, so that question is void.

Next, please.

Yes but i dont remember the first post mentioning it HAD to be on the syllabus. But anyways an example was Nitrobacter which is fairly easy to remember.

As for filtration, it occurs in the kidney or more specifically in the cortex part of the nephron or even more specifically between the glomerus and the bowmans capsule.

Qt: What are the 5 kingdoms into which organisms are divided and give an example of each.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭bebop!

Monera e.g. Bacteria
    Fungi e.g. Yeast
    Protista e.g. Amoeba
    Plants e.g. Ferns
    Animals e.g. Me

Q. Name a mineral required by a plant, state its source and its use.
    Do the same for a mineral required by an Animal.

Yes but i dont remember the first post mentioning it HAD to be on the syllabus. But anyways an example was Nitrobacter which is fairly easy to remember.
    :confused:

What's the point of this whole thing so? Why not just join a science forum if you want a general knowledge quiz?

bebop! wrote:
    Q. Name a mineral required by a plant, state its source and its use.
    Do the same for a mineral required by an Animal.
    Plant: Phosphorus, soil water, used in construction of ADP and ATP.
    Animal: Iron, red meat, allows haemoglobin to carry oxygen.

What is an organ system? Give two examples of organ systems in animals.

adam_ccfc wrote:
    :confused:

What's the point of this whole thing so? Why not just join a science forum if you want a general knowledge quiz?

Yeah youre probably right. But it was in my book and its the kinda thing Id expect might impress an examiner.

As for the question, an organ system is a group of connected organs which combine to perform function(s). Examples include urinary system, respiratory, circulatory and digestive systems.

Give two different shapes/types of bacteria and give an example of each.

• Advertisement

Spirillus and coccus. Coccus- straphylococcus, and spirillia- ooh, I believe one of the STD's is...syphillis??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

Round - pneumonia
    Spiral - syphilis

What is a gonad?

Edit: Hmmmm Corruptedmorals... Your answers seem to be a lot more sciency than mine. Though that's what it said in my book...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Heh, gonad.

gonad - an organ which produces sex cells in animals.

Explain the induced fit modal of enzyme activity.

My biology grinds teacher says it's complete lies, as is the lock and key theory, the real thing is wayyyy more complex.

Anyway, all enzymes have active sites, where the substrate acts on the enzyme, fitting into the active site 'notch', creating two end-products.

Basically..

The picture is definately needed for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

What's Translocation?

The movement of sugars and/or minerals through the phloem of plants.

What causes Down's Syndrome? What's the number of the chromosome involved?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Captain Smiggy

An extra chromosome in pair number...... 23?(so you've three rather than two)

give a balanced equation for respiration

anaerobic or aerobic and if anaerobic which kind

aerobic: C6H12O6+6O2--->6CO2+6H2O-2880Kj
    Anaerobics: C6H12O6--->2C3H6O3 or C6H12O6--->2C2H5OH+6CO2

name 2 different types/shapes of viruses.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

Rod: Tobacco Mosaic Virus.
    Complex: T-Phage

What are HGV's and explain their role in reproduction?

Advertisement