Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why buy an old car....

Options
  • 11-05-2007 2:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭

I saw this and thought why.... even if you get a small discount... why?

the car looses about 2k the minute you drive it off the lot, so why make it worth less by buying an older model?

dsc02164ub3.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

There's a garage in Cork with a 99 Beetle on the courtyard that still hasn't been registered and AFAIK there's basically no appreciable discount on it if you were to buy it. Of course, it would be a 07...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

can you imagine what kind of rust would be developing on that car.... I'd say the brake discs are bright orange! and I'd wonder what the engine would be like eith the oil settling in it for 8 years...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

steve06 wrote:
    the car looses about 2k the minute you drive it off the lot, so why make it worth less by buying an older model?

Because if you buy the older car you're not the one losing the 2 grand. If you buy a second hand car tomorrow you can probably sell it for the same money the next day.

A mechanic friend of mine bought an Opel Vectra for IR£1000 in 2001. He sold it last year for €1000. That's not bad depreciation for 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Because if you buy the older car you're not the one losing the 2 grand. If you buy a second hand car tomorrow you can probably sell it for the same money the next day.

A mechanic friend of mine bought an Opel Vectra for IR£1000 in 2001. He sold it last year for €1000. That's not bad depreciation for 5 years.
    I think he's talking about an old model not an old car.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

methinks the OP is talking about old models being sold new, not second hand cars...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Yeah agreed stevo.

I think the same thing when i seen the C-Class merc driving along with 07 plates ... do they not know a replacement is just around the corner.

Same with the 07 Corollas driving around as opposed to Auris

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

Some people think it is worth it because they get toys thrown at them in the "run-out" model. Personally, I wouldn't buy a new car of any description with my own money, so I don't get it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Doesn't make financial sense, but some people prefer the old model over the new one. I know one lad who rushed out and bought an old shape Mondeo just before the new one came in, as he'd seen a picture of the new one and thought it was disgusting. I could never figure that particular one out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Good for the environment? :D
    Not driving (excuse the pun) the demand for a new model by buying the old one?
    (Although of course the new ones are manufactured in advanced in their 1,000's)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Agreed, I cannot see the logic in buying a run-out model unless you are getting a very serious discount.
    The only car I saw which was not affected too much in depreciation stakes when the new model came in was the Seat Toledo. There was good reason for that. What a horrible looking yoke the newer one is.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

I don't see what the problem is though - some people do prefer the older models of cars. While it is a bit mad doing it with a new car, I can definitely understand it. I still prefer the look of the original Leon over the new one, and given the choice brand new, I'd go for the older one. I bought a Mark III Golf GTI (the '91-'98 type) because I didn't like the look of the Mark IV that came out in '98, even though a Mark IV will have depreciated less since the newer Golf came out in '04...

Maybe whoever bought that CR-V didn't like the new one, same for the guy in the C-class. To some people, liking what you buy is more important than it being a good financial investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

JHMEG wrote:
    I know one lad who rushed out and bought an old shape Mondeo just before the new one came in, as he'd seen a picture of the new one and thought it was disgusting. I could never figure that particular one out.

I'd take the looks of the Mark II Mondeo over the Mark III anyday. The Mark III is all German and boaring looking like a Passat or something.

Of course the Mark IV on the other hand..... mmmmmmm

I agree though, generally the new models come with better spec, the only reason I could see is if the was a considerable discount!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Funnily enough, when the e60 5 Series was launched in late 03, we had people in 04 looking to buy the last of the e39's. People are mad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

ye, and then there's another new 5 Series coming out at the end of this year again... but I bet people will still but the one available now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

I saw this and thought why.... even if you get a small discount... why?

Because in this particular instance Honda wanted to shift all the stock they have of this CR-V to make way for the newer ones and as such you got a CR-V exec spec for €5k (€43k vs €38K) less than the list price. Also bear in mind that the fully loaded exec spec for the latest CR-V is nearly €50k (without even going to the EX-T spec). You are in reality getting this car for nearly €12k of a saving to have an "older" model.

So the question is, if you wanted a CR-V, why would you spend an extra €12,000 to have the same spec in the latest body shape?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

C_Breeze wrote:
    Same with the 07 Corollas driving around as opposed to Auris
    The Corolla still exists. Only the hatchback is the Auris now, which very few people buy here anyway. I don't think I've seen a '07 E120 Corolla.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Can make perfect sense if you get an enormous discount and plan to keep the car for years.

My father once bought a run-out pre facelift (so there wasn't even a new model on the way, just a facelift) Audi 80 for the price of a VW Golf (about 25% discount iirc).

And it wasn't a car that had been rotting away somewhere. When he bought it, the car still had to be manufactured - so any option, colour, etc. could still be picked.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The old model Renault clio is still selling well in the UK, according to Top Gear! Renault are still manufacturing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

There are a number of "old" models still on sale.

Fiat Punto old model is aparrently still available

Renault Clio badged as the Campus is still available (as was the Renault 5 Campus when the Clio was lanched)

Skoda Octavia old shape is being sold as the Octavia Tour (popular with taxi drivers)

There are a few good reasons to buy an old model or one that is about to be (or has just been) changed,
    The old model may have a higher standard spec than the new model.
    Dealers often recieve incentives for selling old models, and these are usually passed on in the form of high trade in prices or lower prices. Dealers will often he happy to make less profit on an older model to shift the old stock. Compare this with what happens when a new model is being sold. dealers hold their margin. The difference in price can be significant, more often than not this saving is greater than the amount the customer will "lose" by having the old model 3 or 4 years down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

...plus you save yourself the hassle of being a beta-tester for the brand new model :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement