Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rc50 loop machine need info

Options
  • 11-05-2007 2:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi Guys,
    I am a Trad Vocalist/Guitarist and I play with a Banjo player doing live gigs.My problem is sometimes he is not available and I then have to do the gig on my own which can sound a little vacant with just voice and guitar.I can also play Banjo(finger pick the verse and I can play chords)
    My question is ...is it possible using the RC50 to play the Banjo for say "The Fields of Athenry"ie verse/verse then chorus/verse/chorus into the RC50????? and then allow it to accompany me on the guitar because I hear this is the most advanced machine around and there is 3 patches......(I don't really know what that means).
    If anyone knows or has experience of the RC50 loop or any other device which would allow me to record the Banjo to accompany my playing please let me know because it would make my music much easier than been on my own.
    My son who is 14 is a class rock guitarist and told me about the RC50 machine.
    Best Regards,
    Rithim

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

I assume you'll need a mic to mic the banjo unless it has a piezo? That'd be the main concern, otherwise you're fine, you won't have any worry of running out of time - you have 49 minutes mono. Just set the tempo and play tight to the metronome, You might also consider the RC20 but I don't know how that'd take a mic. The RC 50 ahs phantom power so you could record banjo with a condensor microphone.

Patches are presets, I assume they have bass and drum backing tracks. Lemme know if ya have any more questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Rithim

Thanks for reply but I still a bit confused.Some songs are verse/chorus repeating and so I know the banjo riff would loop to repeat this but I don't know whether the rc50 would accomodate verse verse chorus verse chorus riffs the way most of the trad songs are.Thanks for the help.

Basically a loop is a phrase contained within a few bars....I get the feeling that you'd be more inclined to use the RC50 more like a tape-machine...play the entire banjo part and overdub live with the guitar...

Otherwise, I'm not sure, but you may be able to trigger different loops mid song, i.e have the verse stored under one setting and trigger the chorus with the tap of a foot, though I'm not sure if this is how it operates.

Loop machines aren't really designed with a whole song in mind, more repeating phrases.....they excel with songs that consist of a set number of repeated changes (U"s 'with or without you' for example).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Does the RC50 store the loops in its memory? From the sounds of things I'm guessing Rithim wants to record his friend and use him as a backing track, would a minidisc/CD of the banjo on its own not be more practical (and lighter to carry)?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Rithim

Ta for reply guys...Yes I have heard that I may be able to trigger the chorus by tapping a footpedal on the device....may be ok but possibly awkward.I am going to have to go into town and try one out ....I'll let you know how I feel about it.I was going to play the Banjo myself......my mate would'nt be too pleased if he thought I was able to get by without him and I would'nt blame him.I just could'nt use backing tracks it would go against the grain for me ....at least with the rc50 I might be able to put my own stamp on it.................................
    Thanks guys......great forum for help.

Advertisement