Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guitar masterclass dvd's

Options
  • 11-05-2007 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭

recently got my hands on a copy of john petrucci's rock discipline and just getting through it at the moment, have to say its very interesting!

is what i'm after is something else along the lines of this, similar approach maybe, now i'm sure there is a catolague of dvd's but tbh i haven't been come across them over the net, so to break it down is what i'm asking is 'what is similar quality or alternatively what worked for ye'?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Can't go wrong with anything by Paul Gilbert. He's got a good few DVDs out, he's a good laugh too, certifiable loon to be honest, but a smokin' player.

He's good a fairly recent one just out, so it should be better quality than the older ones. I've been meaning to check it out myself, i'll let you know what it's like.

In the meantime, here's a good reason why he's a nutter but great at the same time:D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84l3AvsShwc

Spice girls with a Led Zep solo...:confused::D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

Can't go wrong with anything by Paul Gilbert. He's got a good few DVDs out, he's a good laugh too, certifiable loon to be honest,

wow 2 of my favourite bands right there:rolleyes: :D:confused:

ah no!" heard bout him before but didn't get a chance to check him out yet, i'll check that youtube link when i get home, they only pay me to surf boards unfortunatley:D

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Music4life

You could check out Speed Kills By Micheal Anglo.It Fairly old though.Its for pure Shred.He a funny guy too.That Paul Gilbert thing was brillent

Music4life wrote:
    You could check out Speed Kills By Micheal Anglo.It Fairly old though.Its for pure Shred.He a funny guy too.That Paul Gilbert thing was brillent

cheers for that but it wouldn't be shred that i would be Primarily in to, the most shred i would do would be along the lines of slash tbh, i more play bends, double tap harmonics, pentatonicy, bluesy, major scaley stuff with the whammy bar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I'll be frank. Nothing beats John Petrucci's DVD.

I've got 2 Paul Gilbert DVDs, but as good as they are, they don't come close to Rock Discipline.

So the Gilbert and Michael Angelo DVDs are worth a look, just don't expect anything that comes close to Petrucci's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Speed Kills nearly made me cry. It was so horrific, so cheesy and cack-handed. I wanted to take Michael Angelo out the back and saw off a few of his fingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

ah its fun to watch, dont take it to seriously

i remember seen petrucci's rock dicipline dvd on google videos, its all up there if u wana search for it

nowadays youtube has everytihng you need

just got a chance to watch that video there, thats brilliant! , never heard him play before, he's class!, love the use of double-tap harmoinics as he breaks in to the second solo

yup cheers for the advise lads i'll check out his stuff and the other chap too...........
    Can't go wrong with anything by Paul Gilbert. He's got a good few DVDs out, he's a good laugh too, certifiable loon to be honest, but a smokin' player.

He's good a fairly recent one just out, so it should be better quality than the older ones. I've been meaning to check it out myself, i'll let you know what it's like.

In the meantime, here's a good reason why he's a nutter but great at the same time:D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84l3AvsShwc

just got a chance to watch that video there, thats brilliant! , never heard him play before, he's class!,

Paul's just a good oul laugh, he doesnt take himself too seriously. He's a very good teacher though.

His stuff tends to be simpler than the likes of Petrucci's. Lots of short simple, general purpose pentatonic licks and patterns - if you can get them into the back of your head, they'll creep into your playing very quickly.

actualy of the top of you head, would ya be able to recommend a dvd for using the oul whammy bar 'tall?........right like!:D :D

• Advertisement

S t e v e V a i

excellent! i be checking reviews of his stuff over the net now.............

any in particular that you would recommend al?

im sure u can get a masterclass vai dvd, but its probably kinda crap, usualy some guy for a half hour or so playing a few of his licks n riffs

Steve Vai - Live in the astoria is prob the best one, it's a great live dvd, to see some of his stuff, and just get it from there, there wont be explaning to the stuff but if u know your way around the instrument well then you'll be set, monkey see monkey do! Satriani has some wonderfull whammy bar stuff to, but vai takes the cake

-=al=- wrote:
    monkey see monkey do!
    Yeah, I don't think whammy bar antics are so difficult that they need a tutorial DVD. Just check out a few guys who are known for it.

Vai is one, Jeff Beck is another. Working your way through a few of their tracks would definitely help improve your pitch control, and get a few of the general 'tricks' (like whammy gargles) under your fingers.

Pitch control is the most important, but i'd bet you could sit down and in two minutes come up with your own excercises to work on that. Just simple stuff like playing through a scale, but pulling up a step (or 1/2) to each note. A great way to develop the ear, and turn the whammy bar into a real musical tool instead of just random divebombs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Paligulus

For general technique, Petrucci's Rock disciplince is as good as it gets.

For general licks and stuff I'd recommend the Lick Library series. I got the Joe Satriani Legendary Licks DVD:
    http://www.licklibrary.com/Store.aspx?Page=5

Now it dosn't deal with technique as such, but it breaks up the song into bar by bar or lick by lick sections so you can see exactly how it is played. I can honestly say I would never have learned those Satch songs buried up to me neck in guitar tab!!!
    I see your not into the shred stuff but I'd say theirs one their for your favourite guitarist. I think Danny Gill is very good. He does most of those videos...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

The one i use is not a dvd, but a book with cd.

'Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar' by Troy Stetina.

Got all the excercises you need to prime those left hand fingers and syncronise them withe right hand for picking.

Check it out at Amazon.com......not very expensive, but it's a gem.

Darren.
    :):):):)

The one i use is not a dvd, but a book with cd.

'Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar' by Troy Stetina.

Got all the excercises you need to prime those left hand fingers and syncronise them withe right hand for picking.

Check it out at Amazon.com......not very expensive, but it's a gem.

Darren.
    :):):):)

say fretting/picking hand... not left hand or right hand... we got lefties here remember :D;):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Maccattack

I'll be frank.

Ok Frank. I'll be ... Steve.

Advertisement