Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfair Moderating In Pi

Options
  • 11-05-2007 2:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭

I would like to very much know why i was banned for my post on this thread 'amsterdam with the lads... i'm the gf at home' (Personal issues)

Some of the threads in there prior to mine were laughable and completely off topic (See Greenkittie and ntlbell for example who used the last 2 pages to slag each other off)

I believe the mod in this case banned me unfairly if the others didnt get banned .. I was the only one to question her as a mod and obviously on boards you dont do that apparently !

I also have not been told how long i will be banned for... ???

Me personally i thought free speech was part of boards .. i will hold my hands up and say i should have taken it to feedback but i think i just got frustrated after reading comments such as this gem by robnubis:

'He probably just wants to ride some cheap smelly amsterdam hookers while you sit at home watching Emmerdale, is that such a big problem?

Like you only go to amsterdam for 3 things:

1) Dutch Beer
    2) Weed
    3) Cheap Smelly Red Light Hookers'

Which as is thaedydals favourite beef 'unhelpful and OFF TOPIC'

I would finally like to know what is my 'persistent off topic posting' as i ve been told i do

But basically to be honest after all this im not sure ill subscribe anyway if this is the level of inconsistency in mods

Ill probably be banned for life for saying that
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

You are not a moderator. From what I saw, you continually try to moderate threads, and question the moderators. Questioning the moderators within a thread is considered 'off topic'.

There is a report post function. Use that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I was the only one to question her as a mod and obviously on boards you dont do that apparently !

It's actually included in alot of charters.

Pm the mod?
    Me personally i thought free speech was part of boards

You thought wrong, its been stated again and again by the admins that there is no free speech here.
    i will hold my hands up and say i should have taken it to feedback

So you admit you were wrong? Good girl.
    but i think i just got frustrated after reading comments such as this gem by robnubis

You should have reported the posts if they bothered you.
    I would finally like to know what is my 'persistent off topic posting' as i ve been told i do

Pm the mod?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I would like to very much know why i was banned for my post on this thread 'amsterdam with the lads... i'm the gf at home' (Personal issues)

Some of the threads in there prior to mine were laughable and completely off topic (See Greenkittie and ntlbell for example who used the last 2 pages to slag each other off)

I believe the mod in this case banned me unfairly if the others didnt get banned .. I was the only one to question her as a mod and obviously on boards you dont do that apparently !

Me personally i thought free speech was part of boards .. i will hold my hands up and say i should have taken it to feedback but i think i just got frustrated after reading comments such as this gem by robnubis:

'He probably just wants to ride some cheap smelly amsterdam hookers while you sit at home watching Emmerdale, is that such a big problem?

1) Dutch Beer
    2) Weed

Which as is thaedydals favourite beef 'unhelpful and OFF TOPIC'

But basically to be honest after all this im not sure ill subscribe anyway if this is the level of inconsistency in mods

CC - I like ya, and your contribution is always welcome in LTI, but I saw this coming a mile off. The problem is that you kept commenting on the validity of other people's comments. Now, I don't doubt for a second that you were only doing that in the best interests of keeping the thread going, but the point is that there are thousands of readers of PI, and if everyone commented on validity, that's all any thread would end up being. The only people who can comment on whether someone is taking a thread off-topic are mods, for that specific reason. If you feel like a post is bad for the thread, you have to just report it. Sometimes it's frustrating when you alone get warned for stuff you think other people are also doing, but don't take it personally, and don't talk about it in the thread - just PM the mod. My advice to you is, again, don't take it personally - sure how could it be personal? - serve out the ban and join in again as soon as the ban is up. You'll see that Thaed won't bear a grudge, none of the mods would.

hope that helps - and be prepared for plenty of patronising comments as well in this thread ;)

tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭6ix

I got banned too Cancer-Chick. I accept that I said something a bit Off Topic after the mod had spoken, so I accept the ban.

The modding of the thread was pathetic though, 2 pages of conversation between two particular posters without any intervention. When I finally posted to tell them to shutup, I got a smartassed response.

As I say, I'm banned, no biggie. I'll take it. Mods need to get their act together though.

Mods would have acted on the off topic posts if you had reported them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Cancer-chick

Thanks TBH and i appreciate what you said

But to be honest i am beyond caring what is said.. i'm a newbie still but should prob have known better
    Ill take my ban (if i knew how long for would be great but cant seem to get an answer from thaed on that one)

Such is life eh :)

Fair play Cancer-chick.

you didn't report any of those posts, tho, did you 6ix? Nobody did. Now, if I was mod of PI, and nobody reported those posts, I'd just assume that nobody had a problem with them. I can almost guarantee you that if you had reported one of those posts, thaed or one of the other mods would have "no off-topic posted pretty quick. Possibly the mods were busy and didn't get a chance to hop on boards today - and as they had no "someone has reported a post" emails, they didn't really have any reason to.

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭6ix

tbh wrote:
    you didn't report any of those posts, tho, did you 6ix? Nobody did. Now, if I was mod of PI, and nobody reported those posts, I'd just assume that nobody had a problem with them. I can almost guarantee you that if you had reported one of those posts, thaed or one of the other mods would have "no off-topic posted pretty quick. Possibly the mods were busy and didn't get a chance to hop on boards today - and as they had no "someone has reported a post" emails, they didn't really have any reason to.

Fair enough. I now understand a bit better. To be honest, until now, I had forgotten the "report post" sign existed. I've never even hovered over the button. Enough said.

• Advertisement

fair play lads - I know it's a stinger when it happens to you, but really it isn't personal, it's just to keep everything running smoothly. If anything good happens in the next (week/fortnight/month) - delete as applicable - I'll pm ye to let ye know ;)

have a good one,
    tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

You were banned as I have already stated for off topic post, not following mod directions and for disscussing the moderation of the forum with in the forum.

Ntlbell was given a ban for some of thier posts.
    If the post had of been reported the situation would have come to the notice of the mods a lot sooner.

You can but not with in the forum that the mod mods.

A banning is soley based on the posts and the behaviour of the poster who was banned not what else other people posted in the thread.

Yes there was a post quering but there were other posts which were also off topic and I have stated to you above why you were banned.

This is still under disscussion and I already told you via pm
    I also so told you when there is a decision you will be informed by pm promptly.
    Me personally i thought free speech was part of boards

There is no such thing as free speach on an internet forum in Ireland.
    The site owners ie the admins are responsible for the posts made by users which they publish via this website.

.. i will hold my hands up and say i should have taken it to feedback but i think i just got frustrated after reading comments such as this gem by robnubis:

You should have used the report post function.

1) Dutch Beer
    2) Weed

That is clearly that posters opinion about why people go to amsterdam and he is entitled to that opinion and it was not off topic.

From teh aforementioned thread.
    NTL and GREEN KITTIE Grow up children !!!
    who is banned ?
    After Gordon deleted a post and banned a used.
    Ah for god sake fine
    Consider me off this topic completely
    As if i was the only one off topic
    i suppose ill be banned for saying that too

and the last straw in which you did not report the post and commented on the moding of the forum with in the forum.
    Thaedydal i have seen you pull this sort of thing up before .. In all fairness if this is not a BS post which breaks the rules then i dont know what is .. Will this poster get a warning ??????

What has subscribing got to do with any of this ?

Subscribing to boards.ie if a way of giving something back and trying to support the site it does not get you specail privilages.
    DeVore already stated anyone looking for specailprivilages because they are a subscriber would have thier money refunded and become site banned.

There are 5 mods who moderate the persona issue forum and that does not mean that there is someone looking at the forum 24/7.
    Each has thier own style and each does thier best to uphold the charter and do right by the level of trust the site owners has placed in them.
    Again there are over 300 mods on the site over all each is different each has thier own style and each selflessly contributes thier time to this site.

Why do you think you would be banned for making an misinformed statement about subscribing ? or stating that the mods are all people and ergo the moding of the site reflects that ?

Thaed Im not going to reply to the lengthy post u just made about me

I will say that i was never under any illusion that subscribing would get me 'special priveliges' as you put it ..

Please listen to me when i say that i have the right to CHOOSE whether i subscribe or not. I was thinking about it lately and that is why i mentioned it

It was NOT an assumption that i would get special priveliges and so throwing my rattle out of the cot by saying i would not subscribe

Ill take the ban so ... best to wait til u decide how long for eh !

Thanks TBH ..

I was afraid id miss something !!!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

basically, CC, don't worry about getting banned from PI. Bans there are handed out by a "random ban generator" machine, that selects posts at random.
    At least you were a lot more dignified int he process than 6th was when he was banned from his paranormal forum recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Thaed Im not going to reply to the lengthy post u just made about me

I was just trying to address the matters you listed in your post , as it was the
    starting post of this thread in feedback I assumed it was the point of creating this thread.

Please listen to me when i say that i have the right to CHOOSE whether i subscribe or not. I was thinking about it lately and that is why i mentioned it

You do have that choice and the site admins don't put pressure on people to do so.
    Ill take the ban so ... best to wait til u decide how long for eh !

Ok as soon as I have an answer for you I will let you know the term of the ban as I already agreed to do and told you by pm last night.

(Giggles)

Sorry 6th .. But had to laugh at that one :)

Off to lick my wounds and cast mournful looks at my 'puter :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

PI is a crap forum anyway! Post in After Hours, anything goes there! :D Just don't p*ss off Ruu..........

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

6ix wrote:
    Mods need to get their act together though.
    The users really need to get their act together though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

1174330218-1174140490498.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭the hunter

Thanks TBH and i appreciate what you said

But to be honest i am beyond caring what is said.. i'm a newbie still but should prob have known better
    Ill take my ban (if i knew how long for would be great but cant seem to get an answer from thaed on that one)

Such is life eh :)

your wasting your time complaining i dont think admin (they dont get back to you when you pm them ???)will do anything about it youll just have to take your ban ????

• Registered Users Posts: 20,992 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Another "blah blah blah, banned, not banned from PI" thread? *Yawn*

Go cry about it in PI when your ban is up.
    DaveMcG wrote:
    PI is a crap forum anyway! Post in After Hours, anything goes there! :D

So long as one refers to oneself in the third person.

1) Dutch Beer
    2) Weed

2 things, as the beer is crap imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

The moderators are not hard enough of users. I want to see more bannings not less.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Boston wrote:
    The moderators are not hard enough of users. I want to see more bannings not less.
    I can help you there.

First of all you will have to post something real sh1tty in one the forums I mod and then we can look at banning you ;)

Then you can start another "why was I banned" thread here:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Hmm, someone is encouraging me to troll their forum, oh how things change.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Boston wrote:
    Hmm, someone is encouraging me to troll their forum, oh how things change.
    Heh. Today is indeed a red letter day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

@ CC

Al i ever see form you is off topic posting, trying to mod threads, and generally bitch and moan.

It seems to me you are not happy with boards.ie at all. Esp the mods. So my advice to you would be to piss off to another site where you might enjoy it more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭BigTommyBomb

Listen, you were caught being disruptive and you got banned for it. Take your weeks ban and keep off our radar for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Very good first post by tbh in this thread! Also, I think that users should remember e few things about the busier boards.ie forums.

1. There are numerous mods for these fora but they do have jobs, college, mortgages, children, in short...lives! Life means that they cannot constantly be on boards.ie although most of them will try to have the ite open in a window as often as possible.

2. The report post button really is your friend, honest to goodness! When you hit that button two things happen. Firstly the reported post gets logged in a reported posts forum (invisible to non-mods). The report is visible to the forum mods, non-forum mods, Category Mods, Super Mods and Admins. If we take a reported post in the PI forum the only people that can do anything about the reported post are the PI mods, the Soc CMod, SMod and Admins. It is highly unusual for any mod other than a PI mod to act upon any of these posts. There are circumstances where they might but normally it is left to the forum mods.

The second thing that happens is that the forum mods (PI mods in this example) receive an email to tell them that there has been a reported post. They then view the post and try to take it in context of the thread, sometimes it is obvious what needs to be done, other times it is less obvious and the mods consult with one another and try to come up with a concensus opinion...hence on some occassions it takes a little longer than normal to respond. Sometimes the mod feels no action is required.

3. There may be 5 mods for a very busy forum but perhaps one is on holidays, two are busy with college exams, one is snowed under at work or away on business and that leaves only one mod available. In a forum like PI having only one or two mods available means that things might slip through and users get away with stuff...but if you use the damn report post button it helps the mods stay on top of things!

Finally, to repeat myself again, to help the mods please, please, please use the report post button if you see something that might need dealing with...if there is no action taken it may mean that the mods have decided that on this occassion they will let it slide or that it doesn't merit any action.

In relation to free speech. It would be great to have free speech on boards.ie, unfortunately the boardsgroup company (run by the Admins) are legally responsible for everything written on this site by us (mods and users)! That is a shocking situation. Imagine you were held responsible for everything your friends and family said...you'd probably be in jail now! The Admins are currently engaged in a legal defence of the site over comments made by some users months ago, they and boards.ie are suffering because of this so unfortunately for now free-speech is not an option!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Take your weeks ban and keep off our radar for a while.
    Interesting comment

Advertisement