Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underpasses in Ireland

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

Wild Bill wrote: »
    They could, like that blue overbridge on the Portlaoise inner-bypass, be classified as the very definition of "white elephants" ! :)
    The portlaoise bridge, when built was over the combined N7+N8 route, and was needed, as it linked the town center with the shopping center and the BusEireann bus stops.. Unfortunately, it wasn't possible to teach the population to use the bridge, and lights were introduced to stop all the near misses, etc from jay walkers randomly crossing that road, instead of using barriers to force people to use the bridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭crocro

Underpasses in Monaco are popular, well lit and furnished, monitored by CCTV and there are 500 police for 32,000 people.

They are also varied, some with chandeliers, other naturally lit, mirrors, marble, flowers, you name it.

Here's one:
    193705213_9fd20f2137.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

Underpasses are the preserve of rapists, doggers and neer do wells

why on Gods Earth would you seek them out

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Barname wrote: »
    why on Gods Earth would you seek them out

Casual sex and somewhere to take a piss at the end of the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Barname wrote:
    Underpasses are the preserve of rapists, doggers and neer do wells
    ...maybe in Ireland, but obviously not everywhere...
    crocro wrote: »
    193705213_9fd20f2137.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Cuauhtemoc

Not sure if the one on the roundabout over the M50 coming into tallaght counts, both cycle lane and pedestrian. It's partially enclosed anyway.

Also think i might've seen one linking the two Esso stations(think it was them anyway) on the Naas Rd, which is presumably private use.

C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Cuauhtemoc wrote: »
    Also think i might've seen one linking the two Esso stations(think it was them anyway) on the Naas Rd, which is presumably private use.

C.

I think that was the old entrance to Goffs before the N7 upgrade that you might be referring to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Dirigent

Cuauhtemoc wrote: »
    Not sure if the one on the roundabout over the M50 coming into tallaght counts, both cycle lane and pedestrian. It's partially enclosed anyway.

C.

Don't think so! I was heading south before Xmas, there was a guy in the Esso uniform at the central Armco barrier waiting for a break in traffic to run across the last 3 lanes! :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

There's two under the N3 at Blanch. One where the Mill Road passes under the N3 and one pedestrian one from the Garda station to Corduff cottages (http://osm.org/go/es9_fmkAm-)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Theres one under the N25 at Mother Hubbards which I saw today.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

The one joining the two service stations on the Mullingar Bypass (which I thought was sealed) is actually open and well-lit.

You can't drive through it any more - which is probably just as well. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭biffoman

you can drive it.Just depends on what your driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭teekayd25

number10a wrote: »
    There's one under the Skehard Road in Cork, near Aldi and the CSO. It's horrible. Loads of bonfire patches inside there on the gorund and everything.

Was gonna mention that one myself, apparently the long straight walk it's part of is one of the old railway lines (Cork-Passage West), so maybe it was a much larger tunnel once upon a time.

3884906.jpg

http://maps.google.ie/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Skehard+Road,+Cork&sll=53.401034,-8.307638&sspn=7.262286,21.643066&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Skehard+Rd,+Cork,+County+Cork&ll=51.890372,-8.412094&spn=0.013534,0.042272&z=15&layer=c&cbll=51.890462,-8.411827&panoid=L0IUAF2tnFgCt8KFPDqxcQ&cbp=12,5.16,,0,5

• Registered Users Posts: 78,375 ✭✭✭✭Victor

No, that section of road is relatively new - perhaps the last 30 years.

I think there were ramps on the path originally, I suspect the underpass is only 15 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

deccurley wrote: »
    There are at least two under the Athlone Bypass linking Coosan to the town centre side of the road.
    flazio wrote: »
    Athlone Rail station uses an underpass for passengers using Platforms 2 and 3.

There is a pedestrian tunnel under the town bridge as well, on the westside only.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Prof_V wrote: »
    I believe there was one on Kilbarrack Road towards the fire station end - I've no idea if it's still there, though it doesn't seem to appear on maps any more.

There was defo one on the Kilbarrack road somewhere between the railway bridge and the fire station, not sure exactly where though. :confused:

Gone a long time anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭teekayd25

Victor wrote: »
    No, that section of road is relatively new - perhaps the last 30 years.

I think there were ramps on the path originally, I suspect the underpass is only 15 years old.

Good call on that, this photo from slightly further back shows the older, and now disused Skehard bridge.

http://photosbyfred.fotopic.net/c1318553.html

Advertisement