Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone's "unlimited" 3g broadband

Options
  • 11-05-2007 3:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

With Vodafone's 3g unlimited broadand package the user is charged if they go over a fair usage cap (~5gb) they're charged the usual data rate. However the only way to check your cap is to contact the help desk and their system is about 36 hours behind. Is this kosher? I thought services which charged over a cap had to be "live" ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

I think you can check online as well, at least that's what Vodafone told me. However, I myself am on the old Unlimited Data system, so I don't get charged, no matter whether I download 3 GB or 30 GB. At some point, I am sure Vodafone would not want me as a customer anymore though. :)

Edit: Hmm, I don't have much faith in their bandwidth measuring. I asked them once what I had used in the last month, and they insisted I had used 40 MB. I know for a fact that I used a lot more. Also, the Vodafone router resets my usage upon each connection, and there is no way for me to check how much I have used overall. I am just glad I got it before they introduced a cap.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

If you use the "vodafone mobile connect" software to establish a conection it will keep track of download volumes ... but I use a linksys router myself so that doesn't help me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Urban, have you got a copy of the T&C that you signed up with? I thought even the earlier T&C (as in the one that went up just days before the product was launched, and stayed up for about 2 weeks) had a clause where they retain the right to charge for over usage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭6digitnumber

I signed up for the original unlimited package also and i use over 20Gb a month and have never been charged extra....I believe that if vodafone feel you are abusing the fair usage policy they will notify you and give you a warning before they consider making you pay an extra tariff...so far ive had no complaints from them for their usage...anyways, what good is broadband if you only get 5Gb?...waste of time!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

anyways, what good is broadband if you only get 5Gb?...waste of time!
    Better than no broadband if you can't get anything else.:)
    I'd say the reason they introduced the cap is overuse on their original offering.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

I think Vodafone have come in with the low cap because they are having issues with their backhaul being congested, not the actual 3G cells being congested. At that price, there is no reason why they could not equally have a 30 GB cap if they managed their network properly.

Advertisement