Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sea Trout

Options
  • 11-05-2007 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭

Anyone have any tips on how to catch sea trout, like what bait they take and the type af areas they are in. Any help much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭3greenrizla's

what part of the country are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Welruc

Im in Belmullet Co Mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Sea trout are very hard to catch in the sea. I never caught one myself even though they used to regularly jump clear out of the water in front of me in the evenings. Someone told me that you can get them by floating a small sliver of mackered on a small hook close to the surface and slowly reeling in. Another guy told me that you can get them with some small spinners and saltwater flies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

A few sea trout were caught at our club competition in Mullaghmore over the weekend, and a few in Dunree Donegal as well. They can be rather partial to sand eel. Where streams enter the sea can be good.
    http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/bulletin%20board/viewtopic.php?t=11233
    photo too
    http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/bulletin%20board/viewtopic.php?t=10910&start=120

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

Very small sea trout you caught in sligo- I hope you returned him?.
    I used to catch a few in my younger days, on the rivers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

I wasn't at comp, but all our comps are catch and release so back he went!

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

two of the three sea trout i have ever caught fell for a strip of mackerel.. the third was caught spinning for mackerel..

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭3greenrizla's

belmullet. the newport river is ok for sea trout. theres places around achill where sea trout are caught. the head river above the powerstation in ballycorrick gets a run of sea trout late in the season. ballycastle river and lacken strand are also got spots for trout. where you are fishing will determine what to use. sandeel mackeral strip, flies, worm and spinning are all good ways to take them. good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 busty

deuceswild wrote: »
    Anyone have any tips on how to catch sea trout, like what bait they take and the type af areas they are in. Any help much appreciated.

did you try ards monestry at creslough use sand eels very good

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

busty wrote: »
    did you try ards monestry at creslough use sand eels very good

Its a bit far from Belmullet though! ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement