Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Smashing Pumpkins-Zeitgeist-07/07/07

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

yes she is the bassist

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭fortuneg

who's the guitarist?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Jeff Schroeder is the new guitarist

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

Here's a link to the entire Paris show, individual MP3's.

http://www.thepumpkins.net/music/music_-_the_grand_rex.html

:)

There's a new song called Gossamer that's not going to be on the album and it's amazing! Download this.

http://www.thepumpkins.net/mp3/grand_rex/The_Smashing_Pumpkins_-_Gossamer_(live_07).mp3

Yea that Gossamer song kicks ass. suprising it isnt on the album

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 DCorkey

I love the pumpkins,the new song is awsome,i heard some others from the grand rex concert too and they sounded great.Really hope they play ireland sometime in the future.
    I really liked the Zwan album too,found it in one of those bargain baskets in a local cd shop for a fiver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Blackpitts

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Brendygg

Brilliant new song, like it a lot. Hopefully the rest of the album will be just as good. Pray to god they come to Ireland, hearin them live would be unbelieveable.

http://www.spinner.com/2007/05/18/new-music-tarantula-by-smashing-pumpkins/

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Floydaholic

I heard that a new album was coming out for them, but I didn't know until now when it was coming out. Well, at least now I know. I absolutely adore the Smashing Pumpkins. I only have Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness, but that doesn't mean that I am not a big fan of them. I've been a fan of there's for a few years. Only in the past 3 years or so I have actually started to buy albums, and I have a big collection now, which I will always expand on. More Smashing Pumpkins are in need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Hypergasm

saw them in madrid last nite in the bullfighting arena...pretty cool.played today, bullet, and finished with muzzle. only played for an hour which is ****ty on their part. enjoyable gig but something missing................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Neo#

Only played for an hour!:eek: Thats crazy. Id have been mad as hell. They usually play for a lot longer than that. I wonder was something wrong.

^^Theres only so long a big crowd can keep it up with someone like Ginger playing:p...sorry!

An hour....I'd be pissed at first, but then the dawning realisation that I'd have just seen the Pumpkins live would be enough to not actually give a crap. All I really wanna do/hear is hear Jimmy playing a single Smashing Pumpkins song live in my presence. Preferably BWBW, or Geek USA, or Silver****, but just one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Duff Luck

Lads Is there ANY rumours of them playing Ireland?? I'm a student in Cardiff...coming home for the Summer next Tuesday 19th...when they announced they were playing London that day I was on the comp the morning the tickets went on sale at 9:30 sharp but no luck:( so I'm really hoping they play Ireland now when I'm actually there...there are a few free dates around the Scotland gig....Tom Dunne usually has some inside info, but the fact that the Point is being redeveloped doesnt really help the cause....everywhere else is just too small:confused: .....Jeees why couldnt they have carried out this work in the last 7years????:mad:

^^Yeah, I'm always here checking for an Irish date just incase. I'd say if they do play, it'd be around that Scottish gig time, that week anyway. Be perfect for me. If they do play, Marlay would most likely be the venue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,156 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Just got myself a copy of this. Listening to it now, a couple of songs in. Liking what I'm hearing so far. Very dark heavy sound to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

just listening to Doomsday Clock now, and i have to say it's very dark (not that is a bad thing).

the drumming is amazing tbh not that i ever doubted it wouldn't.

i'll report back when i listen to it more.

Have to say i am not impressed with this album at all.
    Musically i suppose it's ok but i think Corgan has really lost something vocals wise. It's like he's been going to singing lessons and has lost that snarl from the first 4 albums.
    Also the vocals just don't seem to fit over the music very well, i can't really pick out what this is down to.

As far as the music goes im very disappointed with the lack of dynamics, thats what really set the Pumpkins apart from many other bands of their time.
    Most songs start out fast and heavy and continue in the same vein, theres nothing even remotely close to the changes from the likes of Geek USA, Porcelina, Soma, Thru the eyes of Ruby, etc.
    Perhaps this is the result of James Iha leaving, he always did seem to be more about atmosphere than heavy riffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,156 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Hmmm, I'd rate the album as so so, maybe a bit better than that. I do like the heavy dark sound but it does start to get boring after a while. There's no real 'hits' on this album but I'm never bothered by that. Last 2 songs aren't great, especially the last.

It is good to crank up the volume and rock out to. Early favourites for me would be Doomsday Clock and Starz. I'd probably have been more impressed with the album if it didn't finish so poorly. Still, better than Machina though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Just finished listening to this. Best thing about the album is the cover art. Doomsday clock and Tarantula stood out for me, but the album is so mundane and lifeless. I don't mind dark but there is no energy. Very average in my opinion. Wouldn't bother listening to it again any time soon. Vocals are decent, so is everything else... meh best sums up how I feel. I'd be closer to knocking it off than listening to most of it honestly.
    I'm sure I'm in the minority though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭dead air

I've only heard Tarantula, Doomsday Clock and Bring the Light so far. I really like Bring the light, best new pumpkins track I've heard so far. Well, that and Gossamer from the live shows, great shame that's not on the album, although it is 20+ mins long.

Can't wait to get the album, i'm not listening to any more until I have the CD. Was forced to listen to bring the light and doomsday clock in my friend's car today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

This...album...is....unreal!

I downloaded a dvd of their RockAm ring gig and I was very impressed. Bleeding the Orchid sounds class. So tempted to download the album but going to wait until it comes out on cd.

Neo# wrote:
    I downloaded a dvd of their RockAm ring gig and I was very impressed. Bleeding the Orchid sounds class. So tempted to download the album but going to wait until it comes out on cd.

Do it i dare you!

What's wrong, McFly. 'You chicken?

its one of those albums that seems great for a little while becuase we want it too but then youll gradually realise it really isnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Duff Luck

evad_lhorg wrote:
    its one of those albums that seems great for a little while becuase we want it too but then youll gradually realise it really isnt.

Well put..i know that feeling with albums...its a sort of similiar to when you listen to an album more because you bought it and can't help wondering would you bother listening to it if your friend copied it for ya......but I have a feeling I'm going to be the exact same way when I buy the album:confused:

fortuneg wrote:
    Do it i dare you!

What's wrong, McFly. 'You chicken?

Stop! Nobody calls me chicken! You hear!:D

I finally gave in and downloaded it. ill buy it someday too. I swears;) I like it a lot. 7 shades of black is a great rocker. Bleeding to orchid and tarantula are my favs so far.

Waiting outside Golden Discs in Bray today to get it...they finally open up and....order hasnt arrived yet:eek:. Now I've to wait...damn it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Mushy wrote:
    Waiting outside Golden Discs in Bray today to get it...they finally open up and....order hasnt arrived yet:eek:. Now I've to wait...damn it!

i know! i got off work early for lunch to get into town to buy it.
    driving galway to cork this evening and i wanted it for the trip.
    your one said that it looked like everywhere as going to be delayed.
    Does anyone in dubland have it or is the whole country delayed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭PCros

i know! i got off work early for lunch to get into town to buy it.
    driving galway to cork this evening and i wanted it for the trip.
    your one said that it looked like everywhere as going to be delayed.
    Does anyone in dubland have it or is the whole country delayed?

Yep its the whole country. It missed the shipment last night. Will be out on Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭James Hunt

They had a few in Tower Records in Wicklow St. in Dublin today. I saw them there, but I wanted to ask about a limited edition one, there was a queue at the counter, so I fecked off for half an hour, came back, and they were gone.

Advertisement