Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike transport bags

Options
  • 11-05-2007 5:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭

Going to grab one of these for my flight back home next week. Just wondering if anyone here uses them. Thinking of getting an unpadded one and throwing some foam in. Still annoyed at Aer lingus charging 30 quid for putting a bike on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Shaymoboy

Its worth investing in a half decent bike bag, if you travel a lot with bike.

From my experience, baggage handlers don't give a toss about the bag, so the more padding the better if you like your bike.

S

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

how to pack a bike

I have a good soft shell bag with a metal fame to hold the bike solid. It's been all ovre and no problems. If you're only going to travel once, a well packed box from a bike shop is a good (and free) option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

you could get one of the cardboard boxes that the bikes comes in off your local dealer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

What do folks do if/when they intend to start cycling as soon as they reach their destination and therefore can't bring any kind of box or case with them?

I'm flying to two different destinations this summer to go touring. In each case I'll be able to get my bike there safely enough but not back again. Any suggestions?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

an old sleeping bag helps too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

What do folks do if/when they intend to start cycling as soon as they reach their destination and therefore can't bring any kind of box or case with them?

Get a cardboard box from a shop at home, look up local shops at your destination and get another box from them. Ditch the boxes at other ends. Shops are usually glad to give you boxes as it saves them having to dispose of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Very useful link that. I think the girl makes it - it's nice to see a chick pay good attention to her box. More of Sarah here:
    http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/features/clothing.shtml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

Thanks for the link tel, I've just ordered that gear for my g/f - all I need to do now is sort plan a ride... :D

Thanks for the link tel, I've just ordered that gear for my g/f - all I need to do now is plan a ride... :D

Thanks for the link tel, I've just ordered that gear for my g/f - all I need to do now is plan a ride... :D

• Advertisement

Advertisement