Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

am I mad!!??

Options
  • 11-05-2007 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭

so i went onto carzone and spotted this..

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=558617

i did a recce in one at the weekend and it was a great car lovely to be in and what not...
    im 19 and the insurance is only a grand... :eek: :eek: do they ever break down? is it a good buy?

opinions please...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

Looks ok, but its still just a 1.6 estate car, its not even 4 wheel drive. Interior in them is boring. However, I have driven an estate similar to this in the WRX form and the handling and power were class. Not sure how much poke there is in the 1.6, its a bit conserative for a young fella to be honest unless you want to put surfboards on the roof or something. You'd just be buying it cause its a subaru and they make the STi, but I'm really not gone on the lower model imprezas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

19 and an estate? Good grief! Subarus are nothing if not hardy but it'll still break down if its been neglected of course. White and an estate? Nah! :p

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭afatbollix

astraboy wrote:
    Looks ok, but its still just a 1.6 estate car, its not even 4 wheel drive. Interior in them is boring. However, I have driven an estate similar to this in the WRX form and the handling and power were class. Not sure how much poke there is in the 1.6, its a bit conserative for a young fella to be honest unless you want to put surfboards on the roof or something. You'd just be buying it cause its a subaru and they make the STi, but I'm really not gone on the lower model imprezas.

my mate had taking out seats out of a impreza (sp) and have just sent him a email asking how much they are to stick in a car... might make it look a bit better inside...

as i said i did a recce in one in killarney rally of the lakes theres enuff power in it... it was good for the bumps and was really set up for it...

as you said about the STI... its a reason but to be honest its more about holding it on bumps for recces and what not.. but i dont want to be the poor man subaru :(

(aaa STI get it ha)

ill get me coat
    i think ive allready convinced myself.. witch is a bad thing going to see it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

the 1.6 has about 90bhp, not too bad for a 19 year old is it first car?

an non estate version would probably be the same in insurance costs so why not look out for one of them?

been driveing for 2 years now... mainly a 2.3 ford and now a 2.0 audi :D

• Advertisement

why do you want a 1.6 estate then?

whatever suits yourself man, I would'nt be gone on it, it would have to be a 4 wheel drive STI for me but not a bad car I suppose if you do recceing for rallys etc. I'm not sure what a 19 year old wants an estate for though!?

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

An excellent everyday motor/service wagon/and camper for the crew :D , and reliable too...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I'd imagine at that price there's something dodgy about it....and who's that €1k quote with??

astraboy wrote:
    whatever suits yourself man, I would'nt be gone on it, it would have to be a 4 wheel drive STI for me but not a bad car I suppose if you do recceing for rallys etc. I'm not sure what a 19 year old wants an estate for though!?

im a camera man...needed the space for cameras lights sound + crew (you get paid more ;)) it is a estate or a van....
    the quote is with quinn.... go check it out..with elliot coming in i think they have gone even lower....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

I like it mate. Go for it if you like it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭carryboy

it's a good buy. go get it!;)

anto-t wrote:
    ..with elliot coming in i think they have gone even lower....

whats this about?

i noticed my quote for insurance on a honda integra type r dropped from 1600 to 1100 recently (still looking for one) and was wondering why the drop

elliot is a builder from co.caven... hes going into compatistion with quinn soon.... going for the younger driver ect... so id say us young drivers will soon have a playing field :Dabouttime...

p.s.rang,about.the.car.today....its.sold...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Try AIB for insurance. Just by chance i tried them last thursday and they beat Quinn by 110 euro. And i nearly went with Quinn thinking they were the cheapest i'd found up to that point.

anto-t wrote:
    im a camera man...needed the space for cameras lights sound + crew (you get paid more ;)) it is a estate or a van....
    the quote is with quinn.... go check it out..with elliot coming in i think they have gone even lower....
    O, for a camera man or a similar job where you need to lug around a load of stuff it looks perfect. The only vehicle more suited would be a people carrier, but they are very "family man" for a 19 year old! If the car handles well, you enjoy putting up miles on it and its reliable(as subarus are, plus there is no turbo to blow up on ya on the 1.6!) then go for it. Just try and ensure the mileage is accurate, a lot of those imports have been known to be clocked!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

anto-t wrote:
    am i mad

This isn't a medical board:D

It's a nice car, I like the look of them especially for an estate. I'd imagine you'd find it quite slow compared to the audi and ford though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Just check the exclusions on that insurance policy and be sure it covers you for recces (sp?). Normally they exclude anything to do with motorsport.

And get the car checked out by someone who knows that they're doing. €2950 does seem low but it is a white estate, which is slightly harder to get rid of than many STIs...:p

Edit: just reread and saw your note about it being sold. Wasn't meant for you so.

Advertisement