Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Meteor and MMS image scaling

• 11-05-2007 6:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭

When I send a picure via Meteor MMS they are always scaled down to less than 40KB but I think that the MMS protocol allows for 100KB. So Is this the Meteor SIM or MMS settings?

Can I change it?
    thanks

🧐IMHO, God wants us all to ENJOY many,many ice-creams , 🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

It's generally the settings on your phone. What model do you have? Go into messaging and then into settings. Then into MMS Settings and have a look for scaling.

Some phones may not support larger images though, so the user will get a link to a website to view the image - which may result in them just not bothering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭dohouch

Thanks ciaranfo, it's a 6230i. just had another look at the settings. No mention of scaling in messages>message settings>configuration settins>unamed. . Then Menu>Configuration>Default config. settings>Meteor WEB,Personal Config,unamed. I can't see any details for the scaling settings.

but the point you made about sending large MMSs that other phones couldn't handle is something I hadn't thought of. I was more interested in photo blogging and uploading to Flickr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

if a phone sends an image too large for a mobile ( on O2 at least ) the MMSc checks the maximum supported resolution for the receiving handset from an uploaded xml configuration file. If the image is larger than this, it will repeatedly half the dimensions until its below the max dimension, then it will pass it onto the phone.

Check if this is what is happening or whether your phone is set to not send images more than 40kb ( some phones have the option, 100kb is the standard as thats v1.1, newer phones support 300kb which is v1.2 )

More involved than I imagined. When I select a photo , press send, select MMS, then the 1st thing it does is start scaling. So that would be my phone's/Meteor network's maximum limit as I still have to compose message and choose number or email address. I understand then from what you are saying that once the network know where its going, does any necessry further scaling. Still unable to find any scaling settings on phone. Haven't tried googleing. Will give it a go. Well found a menu stucture for 6230i and it has
    NOKIA 6020/6230/6230I/6101
    Next go to Messages > Message Settings > Multimedia Msgs

• Save sent messages: Yes
    • Delivery Reports: Yes
    Scale image down: No
    • Default Slide timing: 00:08( Can be changed by selecting and entering desired time parameter)
    • Allow multimedia reception: In home network
    • Incoming multi-media messages: Retrieve
    • Configuration Settings: Personal Config.
    • Account: Safaricom MMS
    • Allow Adverts: No
    My phone just doesn't have the option""• Scale image down: No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

i think unless you have the option to send a 'Multimedia Plus' message, it will by default downsize it to 640x480 which might be what is occuring

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭GenericName

It's unlikely to be the MMSC performing transcoding. I think Meteor use the Logica MMSC. Which means they probably have some third party transcoder unit.

It should be smart enough to not auto-scale every message that goes through the MMSC. As JNive said, it will find the UA Profile of the recipient handset and transcode based on what it finds. Is this happening for every message you send, independent of recipient handset?

Try upgrading the firmware.

dohouch wrote:
    select MMS, then the 1st thing it does is start scaling.
    My phone just doesn't have the option""• Scale image down: No

@GenericName. Software updated at christmas. 6230i ver:3.88

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I use a K750i and it offers the option to scale before it sends the message. I usually scale down for my blog (if sending via mms) and for other folk. My Pearl doesn't offer the option to scale down and some folk can receive larger images but others can't.

I dont get any option, and also not a choice in the MMS message menu. I llive with it but have been wanting to ask this question for along time. I forget now what gave arise to it originally. Yeah to send to phones it's not a problem but to send to Flickr/Gmail it would be better to pump the photo out max MMS permissable size. The MMS cost is fixed, right.

If you look at the pics on my blog generally they are of decent quality and that is having been scaled before sending to flickr.

If you want to send at the same size as the pic was taken you cansend via email (vodafone). This is slow and a bit more expensive.

• Advertisement

Yah went to your blog and flickr, did check the size and have forgotten will have another look after the last "match of the day" now just started. are your photos camera or phone? The "black peugeot 405 on the yellow lines" is 117KB on both Flickr and Blog. Which fotos came from your phone, what phone and what network???

Generally the pics on my blog are via MMS to flickr. My flickr sets include a good few pics from "proper" cameras.

Advertisement