Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

SYL & DTB are finished

• 11-05-2007 6:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭

Jukebox wrote:
    [On May 2, 2007] InsideOut Music and the Tora! Company held an exclusive media showcase for the new Devin Townsend solo album 'Ziltoid The Omniscient', including an appearance and Q&A session with the man himself. This turned out to not in fact include a musical performance from Devin, but a hilarious puppet show using Devin's superb hand-made rubber Ziltoid puppet he uses in the videos on the Ziltoid MySpace page, and held a press conference from a booth on the stage of the Underworld in Camden, London. Ziltoid took questions from the audience and during his answers he mentioned Devin would be moving into the mountains, never to be seen from again.

"The audience thought it was part of the Ziltoid act, but after a while a tired looking Townsend emerged and confirmed that he is, indeed, quitting and moving to a remote town in Northern Canada. He plans to continue to make 'a ton of music,' some of which will be heavy, some ambient, like his other new CD 'The Hummer', and everything in between. He's going to build a new studio at his new house, and will be keeping his studio in Vancouver where he produces other bands. So every now and again a Devin Townsend album will emerge, possibly on the Internet, but he won't tour and won't be doing any other kind of public appearances, like interviews etc.

"Eight months ago he and his wife had their first child, Reyner Liam Johnstan Townsend, and his arrival has accelerated Devin's decision to back away from the limelight, but is not the sole reason for it. He said these are feelings he's had for some time, and is just so tired of touring and doing interviews and being the focus of things. He also said he's tired of STRAPPING YOUNG LAD. The last tour was a real struggle for him to muster any enthusiasm, mostly because SYL was initially created to vent all his frustrations, which no longer exist. He's not the angry early-twenties nutter anymore. He's a mellow mid-thirties nutter, and doesn't feel the need to be screaming at everyone.

"So, STRAPPING YOUNG LAD is over for good. So is the DEVIN TOWNSEND BAND. Devin's music will be made solo from now on, and he will continue to produce other people's music, but will not tour.

Don't think it's been posted yet.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

He'll be back touring eventually, he's been saying this sort of stuff for years. He left a message on his website:
    Journalism is a crazy thing. (and one of the main contributing factors to my current state of burn out)

Heres the deal:

When and if I feel like it, I'll let you know. I'm officially burnt out on travelling, touring, and self promotion. I want to produce and make records for an undetermined length of time. Please respect that.

I love syl and dtb, and the members of those bands mean a great deal to me, but I have to do it for the love, when it becomes a burden, it's time to step away for awhile. After Ziltoid, there will be no real interviews for as long as it takes for me to build up strength again.

I'm sure at some point I'll get the itch to play, but in the meantime, please respect that I've burnt myself out and need to get away from it all. I'm no good to anyone as a tired shell going through the motions for money.

Enjoy the music...enjoy the productions...there will be a ton of them.

btw - Ziltoid is a self parody, and I don't intend on milking it into a commercial light ... mainstream acceptance makes me nauseous...

Thanks,
    Devin

This was obviously going to happen sooner or later, I mean he's been going non-stop putting out stuff for the past 10 years or so, a quiet year for him would be 2 albums and producing a couple of other albums as well as touring. He's got a child now too so I think a break is the right decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭MagnumForce

"mainstream acceptance makes me nauseous"

oh boohoo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

So the man isn't looking for what you might be out of his music, is that a problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

Personally, I was never a huge fan of his work, but I do think he's doing the right thing here. At least he's making music for the right reasons, unlike a lot of artists. Hopefully when he comes back, which I'm sure he will, he'll be better than before.

Advertisement