Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless Adapter

• 11-05-2007 7:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hey there,

Im looking for some advise as my head is now wrecked.

I have a wireless network at home (Linksys Router)and a few PC's at home are connected to the network and its working well.
    I recently repaired a old desktop and stuck Windows 98SE on it. Its working well and pretty fast actually.
    So now here's the problem.
    I have a Linksys Wireless Network Adaptor (WUSB54GS Ver 2.1) and I'm trying to join this old pc onto the wireless network using this adaptor but guess what the adaptor says only for use with Windows ME or XP. So when you try and install the software it comes up with that message.

What am I to do. Do I need to go out and fork out on a network adaptor that is Win98 compatible or is there a way of getting this other one working?

A message that I found on the net suggests there is but it wont work for me

All help appreciated :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

IMO It can be hard enough to get a network pci card to work in win 98.. I'd imagine getting a wireless lan card installed could be even difficult..if I had to though, i'd try install the lan card my self. can pick them up for a fiver these days .unless of course it has to be wireless?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭bbbbb

I can't remember the details, but I got a buffalo (I think) wireless card working on a W98 machine. Signal strength wasn't great, so I ended up getting a wireless ethernet bridge which I could put at the other side of the room, and a pci ethernet card instead.
    Another possibility would be to put linux on the machine and install firefox (if all you're doing is web browsing?).
    You can try out ubuntu by burning it onto a CD & booting your pc off it (doesn't install until you tell it).
    Wireless cards can be tricky, but there are good FAQs out there. To see if the system has picked up the card and what model it is use:
    sudo lspci

after that, google is your friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Norfork Nights

Hi & thanks for the reply.

Yes It needs to be wireless as its a good 15/20mtrs away from any other Pc or access point!

Can a wireless PCMCIA card be installed easily in a standard old type PC running windows 98 ? Or am I best off getting a usb network adapter thats compatible with Win98|SE

RE: Linux - I tried it. I loaded up Fedora Core 3 (Graphic Interface) and it was seriously slow. Would Ubuntu be faster ?. The PC is just for web browsing and storing MP3's. Its flying with Win98 though faster than XP! (which wouldn't be hard I suppose on an old machine)

Thanks
    N.N.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭bbbbb

Ubuntu says it requires a min 256MB of RAM (no mention of CPU).
    I originally put Suse 8.3 on the old pc. The box says anything from a celeron up, 64MB Ram min, 128MB recommended. (Suse is now 10.2)

I think its a celeron processor with 64megs of ram! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭formatman

Linksys WMP55AG is a decent enough PCI wireless card with 98SE drivers available

Hi there.
    Would it be tough to install in a fujitsu siemens tower pc. It's from about 1998.
    And i'm no pc genius!

Advertisement