Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Open Insurance only for professionals?

Options
  • 11-05-2007 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭

Is it possible for someone to get open insurance to drive any car, or at least cars within a certain range, eg excluding super cars and maybe including bikes?

Is such a thing possible in Ireland?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Nope. I'm fairly sure anyone can get it, but it's restrictded to over 25s with a licence normally. anyone under that age needs to be named

I think my uncle has it and he's a drummer so not just for professionals

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Im 21 and have had that since i was 19 so there is no age restriction as long as you have a full licence... open insurance is part of fully comp insurance anyway(i.e. you can drive any other vehicle within the same catogory as yours with the owners consent)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

What do you mean within the same category? I got insured in my 1.4 a few years back(I was 20 at the time) and noticed on my policy that it had Drive Other Cars, rang them up and queried this and they said that I was covered in any car, I joked saying my Dad drives a 4.0ltr Lexus and could I drive that and she said that yes I could but to be careful :eek: :):D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

I am 22 and my insurance covers me to drive any car provided it is not owned by me or rented to me. is only third party cover. i have a full licence and was included in my policy, not an extra. am with hibernian by the way. fully comp open insurance is also available but i think most companys will only give this to over 25's. then there is also a trade policy which garages have to cover multiple cars and people, i work in a garage and there is about 25 of us on the policy. i also know of a fella who has his own trade policy, he is about 24 and he pays about 8-10 grand a year for it as he owns a few cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

As I understand it, some policies allow you to drive other cars - BUT: the cover while you are driving the other cars is 3rd party only, so if you wrap someone else's Ferrari around a Micra, the Micra is covered but the Ferrari isn't:eek:

• Advertisement

fletch wrote:
    What do you mean within the same category? I got insured in my 1.4 a few years back(I was 20 at the time) and noticed on my policy that it had Drive Other Cars, rang them up and queried this and they said that I was covered in any car, I joked saying my Dad drives a 4.0ltr Lexus and could I drive that and she said that yes I could but to be careful :eek: :):D

I mean that you can only drive catogory B vechicles in the same insurance band as you... i.e. if your insured to drive a car (cat b) which is under private insurance you CANNOT drive a van(cat b) that the owner has insured as commerical.

Lucifer wrote:
    fully comp open insurance is also available but i think most companys will only give this to over 25's.

IM 21 and have had this since i was 19.Im with quinn at the moment but i shoped around first and there were many companies that offer the same open drive full comp cover..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Hmm, I'm fully comp with FBD and have a full license and am well past 25 years old, but am pretty sure I don't have an open policy. Will have to check it on Monday.

What about hopping on a motorbike, I've a full bike license also, is it possible to get a dual bike and car license also here?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

hobochris wrote:
    IM 21 and have had this since i was 19. Im with quinn at the moment but i shoped around first and there were many companies that offer the same open drive full comp cover..
    According to the Quinn website, and the PDF of their policy conditions, they offer 3rd party cover only when driving another vehicle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

fletch wrote:
    yes you are right, i have that on my policy and have driven some nice cars just because im covered :)
    I range hiberian around 5 times to confirm this last year and all the phone attendent said yes that i can drive any other car once the owner lets me

• Advertisement

Alun wrote:
    According to the Quinn website, and the PDF of their policy conditions, they offer 3rd party cover only when driving another vehicle.
    My point was that its not just offered to over 25's

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

hobochris wrote:
    My point was that its not just offered to over 25's
    Sorry, I thought what you meant by "open drive fully comp cover" was that you got fully comp cover on other cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

I doubt there are many policies that give fully comp on any car, and if there were they would be really expensive. Most policies give you third party on other cars.

Makes sense because a ferrari and an focus could potentially cause the same amount of damage to a third party.

Big difference for the insurance policy if the have covered you to replace your €3000 micra and you were driving a supercar.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Longfield wrote:
    Hmm, I'm fully comp with FBD and have a full license and am well past 25 years old, but am pretty sure I don't have an open policy. Will have to check it on Monday.

What about hopping on a motorbike, I've a full bike license also, is it possible to get a dual bike and car license also here?

With FBD I'm pretty sure your covered 3rd party to drive any car, i know i am.... best ring and check with them, or lookup the documentation they sent out... with FBD its just standard as far as i know...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Quinn-Direct give it as standard but...

the car can not be owned/rented by you,your spouse or employer...

and it needs to already have a valid insurace policy on it..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

I'm pretty sure "Open drive" is the facility that allows any other person with a full licence and over 25 to drive your car with your permission, not the other way around.

Driving other cars TPO is almost 100% standard on all policies now, isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

MojoMaker wrote:
    I'm pretty sure "Open drive" is the facility that allows any other person with a full licence and over 25 to drive your car with your permission, not the other way around.

Driving other cars TPO is almost 100% standard on all policies now, isn't it?

Yes thats what it means

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

The correct title for everyone is talking about here is:

"Driving of other cars"

It only covers third party only. The only way to get comprehensive cover on another vehicle is:

1. Get insured as a named driver on the car owner's Fully Comprehensive policy
    2. Do a "Temporary Substitution" with your policy, normally free with most companies. However be aware your own car will not be covered during this period.
    3. Do a "Temporary Additonal Vehicle", this will add the car to your policy in addition to your own car. Some companies will do one or two of these for free a year, others may charge a fee, the size of the fee can depend on the risk (i.e. value, cc, etc.)
    4. Get a motor traders policy. You only need this if you are planning the regularly drive different cars. some of the companies that offer this require you to have a premises although you might find a company that will offer it without you having to have a business premises. Some of these policies will allow you to name up to 4 vehicles on the policy but allowing cover on any vehicle. e.g. One of the lads got a policy with his car, van, motorbike & recovery truck on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭maidhc

wingnut wrote:
    Big difference for the insurance policy if the have covered you to replace your €3000 micra and you were driving a supercar.

Not really. The actual value of the car isn't hugely relevant. A moderate accident can often result in a personal injuries claim of far greater proportions than the value of a Ferrari.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

wingnut wrote:
    I doubt there are many policies that give fully comp on any car, and if there were they would be really expensive. Most policies give you third party on other cars.
    Of course all of this usually depends on the other car being insured under a separate policy, which takes care of damage to that car.

You might need to check out the policy on the other car to make sure it is covered for other drivers and doesn't have restrictions like "no, you are not to lend this Silver Ghost to 19 year old, substance abusers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

jhegarty wrote:
    Quinn-Direct give it as standard but...

the car can not be owned/rented by you,your spouse or employer...

and it needs to already have a valid insurace policy on it..

Very important, the other car you are driving must be insured by someone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Ghupta Yahd

I was shopping for insurance in the last week and according to the Quinn-Direct online quotation you have to be 26 or over to be eligable for their open drive policies. How did the under 26's who have open drive with Quinn-Direct get it?

Advertisement