Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Problem getting 2nd computer to access net

Options
  • 11-05-2007 9:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭

I've got eircom broadband home plus with a wireless router running fine in the house. Now one of my housemates has been trying to connect via the wirelss router and is having trouble.

I've gone onto the eircom site and generatede a 2nd password for him and he can access the router ok - but it won't let him connect to the net. Just wondering has anyone encountered a similar problem before. I'm on a Mac, he's on a PC. I've tried to look through his settings etc. but they're all in German so I'm stumped.

Any suggestions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

is the network adaptor set to receive an IP address from DHCP? if not and you havent specified an ip or a gateway manually you wont be able to connect..Click on properties in network connection and click optain an ip automatically..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I've got eircom broadband home plus with a wireless router running fine in the house. Now one of my housemates has been trying to connect via the wirelss router and is having trouble.

I've gone onto the eircom site and generatede a 2nd password for him and he can access the router ok - but it won't let him connect to the net. Just wondering has anyone encountered a similar problem before. I'm on a Mac, he's on a PC. I've tried to look through his settings etc. but they're all in German so I'm stumped.

Any suggestions.

Why did you generate a second password for him? Are you using wep or wpa?

Does his laptop connect wirelessly elsewhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

JohnnieM wrote:
    is the network adaptor set to receive an IP address from DHCP? if not and you havent specified an ip or a gateway manually you wont be able to connect..Click on properties in network connection and click optain an ip automatically..

Ok - so I need to do that on his laptop I presume (I'm **** at these things so forgive a bit of stupidity please).

I'm using WEP - I generated a second ID key because I went on the eircom broadband page and enabled multiple Wireless IDs and it seemed to need to generate a second key. When he uses it it connects to the router so I'm presuming that it's working.

I'll get him to check it out in another location and make sure that the wireless card is working properly on his computer.

Advertisement