Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Translation work while travelling

• 11-05-2007 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi,
    I am just wondering if there is anyone out there who might be able to give me some guidance/advice.
    Basically I am getting very fed up in my current (office based) work...getting itchy feet and would like to go travelling for a few months. I would need to be able to have some income while abroad and so was wondering if there would be opportunity for doing translation work while travelling.
    I have legal qualifications and am trying to find out about getting some qualifications to translate legal documents from English into Irish. I have a pretty good standard of Irish, but am not a native speaker and am under no illusions but that I will have to make a major effort to get my target language up to standard, but with a lot of hard work I am confident that I could do it...
    But before I undertake all that study I have a few questions:

Is this a realistic way to support oneself while travelling - ie is there sufficient volume of work out there, is it possible to do this type of work on a free lance basis, and is it relatively well paid?
    Are there any course that would be recommended to get language skills up to standard?
    Is there any standard exam/qualification which I should be working towards?

I would be most grateful for any advice at all!

Thanks,
    Hoey

Advertisement