Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2 new F1 street circuits for 2008

• 11-05-2007 9:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭

Well, 2 new street races have been anounced for 2008 in Valencia & Singapore, with the latter being run at night!
    Should be interesting and depending on the layouts may give more chances for overtaking!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

They're both street circuits so I wouldn't be too sure on there being more overtaking. Although in the case of Valencia at least it does go through a port area where it could be opened up a little.

I'm looking forward to the Singapore race, racing through city streets at night should be an interesting spectacle and even if it's not ideal for overtaking I do think there's room for some tracks to be like that - it's never hurt Monaco - it just makes qualifying and strategy more important and makes those few overtaking moves you do get all the more spectacular.

As for Valencia, everything about the race seems dodgy. One of the stipulations of the contract is that the race only goes ahead if the current President of Valencia gets reelected in elections this month. I think it's pretty easy to see the motivation behind the birth of this Grand Prix.

It's also a bit odd to add a second Spanish GP straight after the FIA were so keen to limit the Season to one race per country as the sport expanded to other territories. Even more so creating a brand new street circuit at a city that already has a perfectly good purpose built track that F1 teams regularly use for testing.

Definitely a very politically motivated choice, but at the same time it could potentially be an interesting track and there's certainly room for more street races. Ideally I'd like to see them phase out Barcelona in favour of the new race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

steviec wrote:
    As for Valencia, everything about the race seems dodgy. One of the stipulations of the contract is that the race only goes ahead if the current President of Valencia gets reelected in elections this month. I think it's pretty easy to see the motivation behind the birth of this Grand Prix.

Definitely a very politically motivated choice, but at the same time it could potentially be an interesting track and there's certainly room for more street races. Ideally I'd like to see them phase out Barcelona in favour of the new race.
    Bernie claims to be misquoted om that one. He wants to wait until the elections are over so he "knows who he's going to be dealing with". Needless to say the ridiculously sensationalist spanish media went to town on this statement. THere might be something in it but it's not all that likely.

Re Barcelona: it's a bit crap for f1 racing, especially when the turbulence issue affects drivers even when they're 2.5 seconds behind the guy in front. It'd be nice if the f1 cars could piss off and stop rippling the tarmac in the braking areas and spoiling things for real motorsports!

Advertisement