Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do some Irish Liverpool fans buy The Sun?

• 11-05-2007 10:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭

Met two more of these people today.
    One is actually travelling to the Charlton game this weekend.

One 29, the other 30. Both had heard of Hillsborough but were very vague on The Sun's role in reporting the lies afterwards.

I told them that the paper's circulation was f*ckall on Merseyside but I just got blank looks.

Why does any Irish person buy an English red-top tabloid?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Why does anyone read or look at (to be more accurate) The Stun?

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Why do Irish people support English clubs ? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Why why why..........

• Subscribers Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

nlgbbbblth wrote:

One 29, the other 30. Both had heard of Hillsborough but were very vague on The Sun's role in reporting the lies afterwards.

I told them that the paper's circulation was f*ckall on Merseyside but I just got blank looks.

why oh why isn't there a big sign on all your threads warning people not to click in to them as they are sad? can you start a thread on that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

zabbo wrote:

Kindly stick to the topic at hand. We don't need yet ANOTHER Eircom League vs everyone else topic. It's become the new Liverpool v United on this board.

Anyway personally I think it's ignorance. You'd be stunned at the amount of people that don't know what the S*n did. I think the best thing you can do is just to educate those that don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Anybody who reads the Sun is a beyond education.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

zabbo wrote:

why do Irish people prefer an English sport over an Irish one ;)

back to the topic at hand... i never buy the Sun personally and i'm not a Liverpool supporter. although i do find it a bit odd when Liverpool supporters do, ya can't judge them for being bad supporters over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

copacetic wrote:
    why oh why isn't there a big sign on all your threads warning people not to click in to them as they are sad? can you start a thread on that?

Any need for that? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

copacetic wrote:

sad in what way?

give me some examples or shut up.

if you're referring to the stag party thread then that hardly constitutes 'all' of my threads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Anybody who reads the Sun is a beyond education.

That's just silly.
    I find for sports news, the tabloids are a lot better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Page 3 :D :eek: :D :eek: :D

BTW i dont buy the sun but have read it on many occations.

nlgbbbblth wrote:
    sad in what way?

give me some examples or shut up.

if you're referring to the stag party thread then that hardly constitutes 'all' of my threads.

i'll admit I was a bit stunned by that thread and it may have coloured by judgement. shouldn't have posted on here about it. apologies..

on the sun, i'd never read it but I would never do it anyway, liverpool fan or not.
    as irish fans in general we wouldn't be as close to the feelings and possibly those guys are a little young to have felt the full effects of hillsborough. I think I was just old enough at the time, at least to remember it properly now, but those extra 2 or 3 years would make a difference.

of course with the cracker show based on the controversy and the recent protests I'm surprised they wouldn't realise but I wouldn't blame them for reading it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

nlgbbbblth wrote:

because maybe they like to read it?

because maybe they dont give a **** about hillsborough?

could be many reasons

event wrote:
    because maybe they like to read it?

because maybe they dont give a **** about hillsborough?

could be many reasons

how could anyone human, liverpool fan or not, not give a **** about hillsborough?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

copacetic wrote:
    how could anyone human, liverpool fan or not, not give a **** about hillsborough?

quite easily.

some people dont care about things like that, its simple really

copacetic wrote:
    i'll admit I was a bit stunned by that thread and it may have coloured by judgement. shouldn't have posted on here about it. apologies..

on the sun, i'd never read it but I would never do it anyway, liverpool fan or not.
    as irish fans in general we wouldn't be as close to the feelings and possibly those guys are a little young to have felt the full effects of hillsborough. I think I was just old enough at the time, at least to remember it properly now, but those extra 2 or 3 years would make a difference.

of course with the cracker show based on the controversy and the recent protests I'm surprised they wouldn't realise but I wouldn't blame them for reading it.

Apology accepted, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Here, I wasn't even born 20 years ago, but even I know that what happened in Hillsborough wasn't insignificant. Look at the stadia in the Premiership, in fact, across most of europe now. If there's a terrace in sight, 9 times out of ten there'll be nobody in them. Whatever about the deaths and the Sun's coverage, you can't argue that Hillsborough hasn't been a major influence in the modernisation of stadia across all of Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

event wrote:
    quite easily.

some people dont care about things like that, its simple really

Nice.

The Sun may appear better for sports because it gives more words over to the subject - but I find most sports coverage in tabloids (particularly football journalism) to be of a terrible standard. Speculative crap most of the time. IMO of course.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,338 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I dont know any non liverpool fan who gives a crap about hillsborough

That's complete rubbish. I'm not a Liverpool fan, but I care about Hillsborough, Heysel, Valley Parade and anywhere else that it's not safe for people to go and watch their favourite sport. By ignoring what happened at these grounds the same mistakes will be repeated, and next time it could be fans of your club that are killed. Will you care then?

As for the original question, I reckon it's because Liverpudlians took The Sun's remarks a lot more personally than Irish Liverpool fans, which is only natural.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Fine. You come across as a lovely person. Well done.

The OP is asking why Liverpool fans read it. So your above post is quite pointless in terms of the topic at hand. That incident and the Heysel disaster of 85 hurt Liverpool as an instituion quite significantly. Liverpool fans should understand the history of their club and the shock and anger that was casued by the Sun to the families and friends of those killed and injured at the tragedy.

It is well known that the Sun has only a tiny readership in Liverpool that is completely out of line with it's percentage share of the general UK market. When they concentrated on Wayne Rooney exclusives back before his transfer to Utd it was a clear attempt to up it's readership in the city through sparking the interest of Everton fans.

It is my opinion, as a Liverpool fan, that Liverpool fans in this country who feel in any way commited to their club should not buy the paper. That is what the OP asked and I agree with him. This thread is not directed at general football fans. And, as such, I think your post is a dreadful waste of time and needlessly offensive.

i know loads of non-liverpool fans than do give a crap about hillsborough, witness any of the anniversary games. any real football fan would remember and care about what happens to other fans, no matter what side they support. many man u, chelsea, arsenal fans, even evertonians have shown respect and understanding on may occasions down the years, you are in the minority.

I really don't understand people like you, presumably you don't care about any tragic event because there is always something worse? how sad. or is this some kind of troll? I find it very hard to believe anyone holds opinions so crass and ignorant.

I remember watching television on that fateful day in April 1989 and seeing the events at Hillsborough unfold right before my eyes.
    I'll never forget it. It was absolutely horrific.

My father came into the room wondering why I was not studying (my leaving cert was coming up that June and I had had a mediocre performance in the mocks) and he was struck into silence with what he saw. The two of us watched the screen as the events unfolded with increasingly grim inevitability. While neither of us were Liverpool supporters, we were football fans and knew that it could easily happen to any of us at any other stadium unless measures were taken to improve safety.

The two clubs involved that day, Liverpool and Nottingham Forest, were there because they won their quarter finals over Brentford and Manchester United respectively. It could easily have been those clubs who were involved.

So to suggest that it's only Liverpool fans who were affected by this is wrong. This was a tragedy which was far more than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

People who care about their club should know its history. Why do United remember Munich? On a happier note, why do Celtic remember the Lisbon Lions? Why do West Ham remember Bobby Moore? Why do Liverpool remember their 5 European Cup wins? Why do Spurs remember Billy Nic?

Despite the best efforts of the suits, football still clings to tradition. Respecting the memory of ordinary men and women who've served the club in some way is a bare minimum as far as I'm concerned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Slightly off topic but didn't Steven Gerrard do extracts from his book in The Sun newspaper ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

ciaran76 wrote:
    Slightly off topic but didn't Steven Gerrard do extracts from his book in The Sun newspaper ???

Nope, he would be hung for that in Liverpool, he would never do that anyway, his cousin died in Hillsborough and he is well aware of the lies the Sun published after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

ciaran76 wrote:
    Absolutely not. There is not a chance that he would ever release anything to the sun. He would have been shipped to Chelsea by the fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I think Ciaran might be kind of half right. Was it not publisjed in a sister paper to the Sun, one of the Sundays? The NOTW? (or whichever one is the suns sister paper)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Slightly off topic, but most of the daily papers reported the same story. South Yorkshire Police were, I believe, the source. To my recollection it has never been retracted......

• Advertisement

ciaran76 wrote:

absolutely rubbish.

nipplenuts wrote:
    Slightly off topic, but most of the daily papers reported the same story. South Yorkshire Police were, I believe, the source. To my recollection it has never been retracted......

hard to retract a story from an unknown/unnamed source though? who could have retracted it?
    mckensie said the source was a tory mp, and it wasn't disagreed with by a chief super. he apologised at one stage as did the sun themselves, the worst mistake in their history they said. although this was a bit mealy mouthed over the rooney issue.
    i don't believe any of the other papers reported it anything like the sun did with a front page headline and nearly all of them reported it as something the sun were reporting rather than actually state it was true.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I never buy the S*n, but if it is nearby I do take a sneaky look at Dear Deirdre from time to time. Entertaining stuff.

copacetic wrote:
    hard to retract a story from an unknown/unnamed source though? who could have retracted it?
    mckensie said the source was a tory mp, and it wasn't disagreed with by a chief super. he apologised at one stage as did the sun themselves, the worst mistake in their history they said. although this was a bit mealy mouthed over the rooney issue.
    i don't believe any of the other papers reported it anything like the sun did with a front page headline and nearly all of them reported it as something the sun were reporting rather than actually state it was true.

The Sun could have retracted it and denied it was true. But this never happened. And you're right, the reason the Sun got the stick was for the headline. But the apology was for the way the story was presented, not for the content.

Stekelly wrote:
    I think Ciaran might be kind of half right. Was it not publisjed in a sister paper to the Sun, one of the Sundays? The NOTW? (or whichever one is the suns sister paper)

that doesn't make him half right, it was the NOTW but the times/ sunday times and sky etc etc are all owned by murdoch but run by entirely different and independent groups of people..

nipplenuts wrote:
    The Sun could have retracted it and denied it was true. But this never happened. And you're right, the reason the Sun got the stick was for the headline. But the apology was for the way the story was presented, not for the content.

so what are you saying, that it was a true story?

the current sun editor said he would never have printed it and didn't believe it was true, the editor at the time said he has no reason to believe anyone urinated on the police or robbed the dead. what exactly are you looking for or implying? he used the belief that there was some truth to the fact that some fans may not have had tickets as a way of saying there may have been some truth to his story. i.e that one aspect may have been true.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

copacetic wrote:

Which part? they printed 2 headlines that caused outrage, one true the other not.

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote:
    Which part? they printed 2 headlines that caused outrage, one true the other not.

kdjac

three headlines, none true?

250px-Hillsborough_disaster_Sun.jpg

copacetic wrote:

I don't know whether it's true or not - I wasn't there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

copacetic wrote:
    three headlines, none true?

250px-Hillsborough_disaster_Sun.jpg

The reason numerous bodies couldnt be identified is because their wallets were stolen. That did happen.

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote:
    The reason numerous bodies couldnt be identified is because their wallets were stolen. That did happen.

kdjac

their wallets were missing, perhaps stolen. by who is another thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

copacetic wrote:
    their wallets were missing, perhaps stolen. by who is another thing.

Were they actually missing though? Or did people not carry wallets/not have them with them? Also wallets could easily go missing , a lot of people carry their wallets in their jackets which would have been taken off. I'm not saying either is true but they could have just as easily gone missing in the chaos as been stolen.

Stekelly wrote:
    Were they actually missing though? Or did people not carry wallets/not have them with them? Also wallets could easily go missing , a lot of people carry their wallets in their jackets which would have been taken off. I'm not saying either is true but they could have just as easily gone missing in the chaos as been stolen.

thats what I was saying, kdjacl seems to be saying people didn't have wallets on them, ergo they were stolen from their dead bodies by liverpool fans, ergo the sun was telling the 'truth'. at best, the suns take on it was the least likely of a whole host of possibilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Kindly stick to the topic at hand. We don't need yet ANOTHER Eircom League vs everyone else topic. It's become the new Liverpool v United on this board.

Anyway personally I think it's ignorance. You'd be stunned at the amount of people that don't know what the S*n did. I think the best thing you can do is just to educate those that don't know.

Who cares, get on with your life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

PHB wrote:
    That's just silly.
    I find for sports news, the tabloids are a lot better.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Paul cook the new sligo rovers manager has made one of his first bits of business to ban the s*n from his press confrences and will not speak to them ! the scouser and fromer southport manager has said he will never forget the lies they told and as a liverpudlian who lost friends at Hillsborough he said its impossible to speak to the rag!

Fiar play to him for having the balls to tell them how it is !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,956 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Dub13 wrote:
    Paul cook the new sligo rovers manager has made one of his first bits of business to ban the s*n from his press confrences and will not speak to them ! the scouser and fromer southport manager has said he will never forget the lies they told and as a liverpudlian who lost friends at Hillsborough he said its impossible to speak to the rag!

Can you provide a link for that story? I can't imagine any EL club being happy that the Sun has been banned from their press conferences over something that has nothing to do with their club.

Personally I've never bought the Sun (not that I ever bought it regularly) since it ran a small column in 1996 about how the RUC cleared a street full of IRA supporters to let a march down a road in Portadown. They could have told the full story like everyone else did and made it their main story about how Britain's paramilitary police force violently attacked Irish citizens protesting peacefully against the OO marching down the Gavarghy Road.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Zebra3 wrote:
    Can you provide a link for that story? I can't imagine any EL club being happy that the Sun has been banned from their press conferences over something that has nothing to do with their club.

Google Paul Cook The Sun and you will get it,the link is Unison.ie and I am don't have a subscription so cant post a link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

The best thing about the sun is Keeley, Katy French and striker

Dub13 wrote:

Fiar play to him for having the balls to tell them how it is !

Read that too. Fair play to him, I couldn't admire him more for it.

Who cares, get on with your life

There's 96 families out there who can't. Their loved ones not only died, but had their memories tarnished by the lies that so called newspaper printed. The survivors of the tragedy were also tarnished by those lies.

If you can't show a bit of respect and sensitivity, kindly refrain from posting in a topic as emotive as this.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement