Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Grind Or Not To Grind.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

shazzyshaz wrote:
    its spelt- arguement

Obviously grind school english lessons aren't up to much if you can't spell properly. Check any dictionary, argument is spelled........A-r-g-u-m-e-n-t.

Its quite petty of you to attempt to correct my spelling too.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

lilmizzme wrote:
    Would you give them for free?

I do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭shazzyshaz

lilmizzme wrote:
    are you sure about that?
    yes i am. the american spelling is: argument.
    the english is: arguement

cson wrote:
    Obviously grind school english lessons aren't up to much if you can't spell properly. Check any dictionary, argument is spelled........A-r-g-u-m-e-n-t.

Its quite petty of you to attempt to correct my spelling too.
    i did just check a dictionary u twit. are you really that jealous of me going to a grinds school and getting a better leaving than you cos i can afford it. yeah?

• Advertisement

shazzyshaz wrote:
    i did just check a dictionary u twit. are you really that jealous of me going to a grinds school and getting a better leaving than you cos i can afford it. yeah?

Give them enough rope......

Oh I see you used that bastion of truth, the urbandictionary.com

cson wrote:
    Give them enough rope......

Oh I see you used that bastion of truth, the urbandictionary.com

Now who is being petty?

shazzyshaz wrote:

Wait, you mean my good old collins dictionary is wrong?! The one published and printed in England. I'd imagine they would know seeing as they spawned the language.

Darren1o1 wrote:
    Now who is being petty?

Look if you're going to correct my grammar or spelling the least I expect is that you correct it correctly and use a reputable source.

If you don't, expect pettiness right back at you.

EDIT: Benefits of proof reading my posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Mary-Ellen

In reply to lilmizzme

I wouldn't charge family or friends and i'd always go out of my way to answer questions of people in my course or explain trivia stuff when people ask

But if at a predesignated time every week I've to drive to someone I don't knows house to give a grind I think I should be paid for it.

Not that I overcharge or leave on the button once the hour is over :D

• Advertisement

cson wrote:
    Consider,
    Public School fees: €0
    Grind School fees: €thousands.

Why are grind school fees so much more than public school fees? Its not for the fun of it I can tell you. There is also the ridiculous situation by which the Govt. actually pays the salaries of grind school teachers.

Aside from that, in your grind school is there religion? Sports? Extra Curricular Activities?. Public schools have an obligation to provide these.

So really if you cannot see that grind school students have a distinct advantage over public school students you need your head checked.

yeah ok we have a huge advantage over u, is this what you want to hear??

Im only there for the one year, whats the harm?? no harm done i say. whereas for you- poor crator.

Darren1o1 wrote:
    Now who is being petty?

i like ya darren!!

Mary-Ellen wrote:
    In reply to lilmizzme

I wouldn't charge family or friends and i'd always go out of my way to answer questions of people in my course or explain trivia stuff when people ask

But if at a predesignated time every week I've to drive to someone I don't knows house to give a grind I think I should be paid for it.

Do you pay tax on this grind money?

cson wrote:

mary-ellen dont answer. its no business of this impostor!!:D :D

shazzyshaz wrote:
    i like ya darren!!

Get a room.

A public school student without the resources that you have who misses their course by 10 points because the likes of you inflated it would probably see a great deal of harm in it as a matter of fact.

cson wrote:
    Get a room.

A public school student without the resources that you have who misses their course by 10 points because the likes of you inflated it would probably see a great deal of harm in it as a matter of fact.

yeah well put in the work then. cos i sure as hell am!!

shazzyshaz wrote:
    yeah well put in the work then. cos i sure as hell am!!

You really are quite amusing tbh.

cson wrote:

I don't earn enough on the grinds I do privately to be legaly required to declare it for taxation purposes

The company that employes me to give them sorts out all my taxes for me.
    Hope you can sleep better at night now :p:)

cson wrote:
    Get a room.
    - Grow up

Sad fact is that the leaving cert is a rat race and everyone will do what they can to get their course of choice.

Is is right? no, but it is all we have. That is why i help the people i do for free. However, it is better and fairer system than other systems such as those in place in the US and UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭lilmizzme

shazzyshaz wrote:
    mary-ellen dont answer. its no business of this impostor!!:D :D
    cson join date:October 2006

your join date: Mar 2007

what imposter??

• Advertisement

Mary-Ellen wrote:
    In reply to lilmizzme

No you missed my point...you say you're not in it for the money, but you're sure as hell not in it for the good of the students

lilmizzme wrote:
    No you missed my point...you say you're not in it for the money, but you're sure as hell not in it for the good of the students

I have said that i do not take money and i do it under the premise that as long as you are willing to learn i am willing to teach. I will not force anyone that doesn't want to be there to learn. That being said i only do it for family and friends.

lilmizzme wrote:

I fail to see what gave you that impression?

Mary-Ellen wrote:
    Hi everyone,

Thought you might like to hear (read) the other side

<b>I give grinds, I don't do it for the money</b> (although it comes in handy)
    I'm a student with no interest in going into teaching btw

I do them because I relaly like the subject I do and I think a lot of people tend to have a negitive opinion about.

Some students can fall behind (I'm not blaming teachers) and once they get lost enough they don't know where to start catch up and having someone to help them on an individual basis can really help.

Best of luck to everyone in the leaving:)

This would be what would have given me said impression....If you don't do it for the money, what do you do it for?

@Mary Ellen: Your grind money is still tax free then, name me another profession where you can earn €20 - €60 overtime tax-free? Please don't get on your high horse about doing it to benefit students, would you do it if there was no money involved?

@Darren101: Giving free grinds is highly commendable. Aside from that you mentioned that the leaving cert is a rat race. Exactly what is wrong with the education system in Ireland. And saying that it is better than US/UK systems is fair enough but why cant we be the standard barers of a good education system in the world?

lilmizzme wrote:
    This would be what would have given me said impression....

Wow what an explaination!

This thread seemed to be giving the impression that people doing grinds were doing it as a moneyspinner what I was tring to show in that reply is that not everyone gives grinds for that reason in my experience.

It seems pretty judgemental of you to state, I'm "sure as hell not in it for the good of the students" without any knowlegde of my situation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

cson wrote:
    @Mary Ellen: Your grind money is still tax free then, name me another profession where you can earn €20 - €60 overtime tax-free? Please don't get on your high horse about doing it to benefit students, would you do it if there was no money involved?

@Darren101: Giving free grinds is highly commendable. Aside from that you mentioned that the leaving cert is a rat race. Exactly what is wrong with the education system in Ireland. And saying that it is better than US/UK systems is fair enough but why cant we be the standard barers of a good education system in the world?

I give free grinds,(friends)mostly I find that people who need help are either genuinely weak at the subject or else have a poor teacher(of which there are many).

But how can we claim to have a good education system? On which rewards rote learning without any understanding? How many people ( I know there are exceptions before anyone delivers a barrage of criticism) truly understand the subjects they are doing?

To JC 2k3you make notes from the book?pfft I make them from my head.;) lol I agree with you about the importance of understanding though, to be able to think something through in a logical manner and understand its consequences. That is when you know, or have 'learned something'

P.S Are you a true nerd? if so who does this quote refer to and from which book is it taken. Bonus marks for the name of the author.

'It was as if he wanted to rediscover for himself 300 years of mathematics...':cool:

cson wrote:

People giving grinds are legally required to pay taxes on grinds just as anyone earning money does. Once you earn more than a certain amount you have to declare it and pay tax on it. Anyone not doing so is breaking the law.

I would and have done so before without money involved but at the same time I'm not going to apologise for being paid for a service provided to strangers

Would you spend an hour painting a strangers house without being paid?

cson wrote:
    And saying that it is better than US/UK systems is fair enough but why cant we be the standard barers of a good education system in the world?

Who says we are not? I have a girlfriend in the US doing primary/special needs teaching and she seems to think our system is pretty good there. There, what sort of education and teachers you get depends on where you live. Here schools get are funded directly in the most part by the goverment as are the teachers wages and therefore there is quite a decent balance across the country by international standards. I think a challenge could be getting teachers who have a genuine interest in the subject and who can relate to students and it is those who make the real difference.

The leaving cert is used by some international schools as the education of choice apposed to the A levels due to its broader nature and reasonable high level. In the us your grades depend(for most specific subjects) on the teacher in question and therefore is not independant. Also there is not an independant body to choose who get what place elsewhere quite like the CAO. I have this arguement with many of my international friends and as a cause they regard our system quite highly. Don't get me wrong the leaving cert is not perfect, but it is better by a long shot than most alternatives out there.

There will always be inequalities but it is just a matter of minimising them.

• Advertisement

Mary-Ellen wrote:
    Wow what an explaination!

This thread seemed to be giving the impression that people doing grinds were doing it as a moneyspinner what I was tring to show in that reply is that not everyone gives grinds for that reason in my experience.

But you didnt prove or show anything at all, because you charge people for the grinds you give, had you said that you don't charge, you may have made a valid argument...you give grinds to make money, therefore the grinds you are giving can be labelled as a "moneyspinner"

As for your sarcastic "what an explanation" comment, your quote should have been explanation of my point in itself

Advertisement