Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Grind Or Not To Grind.

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Load of bollocks.

If a students has enough drive he/she won't need a school/teacher and can just learn from books. Most don't have this much drive, however. It's always better to have someone go through the course with you first.

A teacher is someone who goes through the whole course with a class and exposes them to the content of it.

The difference between a good and bad teacher isn't really that big. As long as they go through the whole course with a class and will answer any questions students might have they've done their job IMO.

There are atrocious teachers and brilliant teachers, but both varieties are rare, and I'd say there are more brilliant ones than atrocious ones anyway. Most teachers are in between, they do their job and it depends on the student after this.

Bad teachers are bad teachers. i.e they will make it harder for you to learn. Good teachers provide the information and more that will make it easier for you to learn.

While a lot depends on the student it is clear that going to the institue or another grind school gives an advantage. They focus on getting the marks in the exams and that's what they do. They give notes (which some might say are crap - or whatever) and you just learn those notes and you're sorted. Bad/lazy/whatever teachers won't put that effort into their classes.

I think the teacher is responsible for how the students enjoy the subject. If you don't enjoy a subject it's most likely because of the teacher more than anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 eimear89

I go to grinds in Maths because my teacher simply isn't very good at explaining them. Maths is just one of those subjects that you need a good teacher in. In other subjects I don't really think you need to go to grinds. For example I have the most useless Chemistry teacher but I don't go to grinds because chemistry is just one of those subjects you learn and you can understand it yourself. I think a lot of it is down to the student. Like what I said about Chemistry, there is a girl in my class who could do just as well as I do in the subject but she just chooses not to put the effort in.
    My school is okay, it's not great but at the end of the day it's up to me to make the best of it. My sister was an average student and worked incredibly hard and she ended up going to Cambridge thus proving that you don't need to pay thousands to get results.
    I don't really agree with the whole grinds culture. I suppose if a student is really struggling they can be beneficial but I know a lot of people in my year who go to grinds in every subject and claim it as study time which I find totally ridiculous

Advertisement