Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royston Brady on The Late Late

Options
  • 11-05-2007 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

Very interesting interview just now with Royston Brady on the Late Late Show. Although I wasn't a fan when he was running with FF for Europe, he came across as a rock of sense in the piece.

Didn't seem to have much time for the non-start of the campaign so far, the allowing of the nurses dispute to fester so long and only talking about talks once the leader of the opposition suggests that as the obvious way forward, the patrolling of gardai with bullet proof vests and the stupid commutes a lot of people have to do because of dodgey planning.

Didn't realise that Cyprian, Bertie's running mate, has still refused to see his new little nephew because his brother Royston lost the election and dared to question Fianna Fail about certain aspects. Bizarre.:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Dandesav

Very interesting interview! He came across as really genuine and honest- it seems that he hates the cronyism and clientelism in politics. He looked like an FFer I could (shock horror) actually vote for.

He's clearly not a Bertie fan, and I detected a slight compliment for Kenny. Interesting when he said that the government hasn't done anything over the last ten years and now they suddenly claim to have all the answers...:D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It sounds like he has turned to the opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

He's learnt the hard way.
    Seems he's no longer the muppet he used to be.
    If he was still running, he wouldn't be spouting any of that (fair, honest) talk he came out with in that interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Voipjunkie

kbannon wrote:
    It sounds like he has turned to the opposition.

He has just seen the other side of Bertie

He let Bertie down in the Euros and he is out of favour in that party he was putting his name around looking for a spot in the GE with FF a few months ago but after criticising FF after the europeans he has no future in FF.

It seems that maybe it has sunk in but I don't think we have heard the last of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

More's the pity........................:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

He came across as honest, decent, truthful and trustworthy.
    Sadly that means he has no place in Irish politics.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Is the interview online?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

Ok let me get it straight - if you criticise Fianna Fáil you are no longer a muppet, you are honest, decent a rock or sense etc etc etc.

I assume it doesn't matter if you are bitter and have a personal axe to grind.

Is it also the best way to heal a family rift to badmouth your brother on The Late Late show???

Does this method of getting respect apply to everyone??? Any looney candidate, right wing racist, etc etc

As long as you criticise Fianna Fáil you have seen the light??

I wasn't impressed with Royston Brady when he was in Politics. Didn't see the programme but based on these posts he hasnt changed.

Going down the road of "My enemys enemy is (always) my friend" is dangerous territory in mo opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,350 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Hagar wrote:
    He came across as honest, decent, truthful and trustworthy.
    Sadly that means he has no place in Irish politics.

QFT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

kbannon wrote:
    Is the interview online?

Should be on RTÉ website within the week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

nicelives wrote:
    Didn't realise that Cyprian, Bertie's running mate, has still refused to see his new little nephew because his brother Royston lost the election and dared to question Fianna Fail about certain aspects. Bizarre.:eek:
    There are two sides to every story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

wow sierra wrote:
    Ok let me get it straight - if you criticise Fianna Fáil you are no longer a muppet, you are honest, decent a rock or sense etc etc etc.

Is it also the best way to heal a family rift to badmouth your brother on The Late Late show???

Does this method of getting respect apply to everyone??? Any looney candidate, right wing racist, etc etc

As long as you criticise Fianna Fáil you have seen the light??

I wasn't impressed with Royston Brady when he was in Politics. Didn't see the programme but based on these posts he hasnt changed.

Going down the road of "My enemys enemy is (always) my friend" is dangerous territory in mo opinion.
    Perhaps you hould wait and actually see the interview before making a misinformed opinion of him.
    You seem to have taken up the wrong end of each point made here to suit your own opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Matamoros

I saw the interview with Royston Brady last night and I couldn't understand what his motivation for doing the interview was. Firstly I thought, here he is trying to build a few bridges and get back into the fold and then he goes on to criticise the FF organisation and give a small bit of praise to Enda Kenny.

I think that he needs to play the game better, he mouths off too much and he still hasn't learned his lesson obviously. There is such a thing as the party line, sometimes you just have to go with it.

If he reads this or any of his friends read this, mentioning your Father or Mother constantly just seems a mistake. Leave your family out of it as much as possible. Royston needs to think more and plan what he wants to say before major interviews like the one which killed his career.

Finally, this may have come up elsewhere but I don't know why he says that he is from East Wall. I grew up living in the same estate as him in Coolock, we moved there in 1976 and they were there before us. Do the math.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

i was very impressed wit him. came across very well. i found his story very interesting and would prefer listening to that than him blabbering on bout FF and politics

wow sierra wrote:

I agree.

Just thought he came across as slightly bitter. He could have shown some loyalty to his former mentor and the person who dragged him up the political ladder until he himself screwed up. Even if he disagrees with Bertie, he could have declined to comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

Matamoros wrote:
    I think that he needs to play the game better, he mouths off too much and he still hasn't learned his lesson obviously. There is such a thing as the party line, sometimes you just have to go with it.

I don't know what you are on about, the lad isn't in politics anymore, he clearly stated that he has no intention of getting back in to politics in the near future .. he does not have a party line to toe.

He was giving an interview as a matter of public interest - if he didn't crash and burn at the european elections he would more than likely be up for a seat in the dail this time round.

I thought it was a very good interview, the lad had a rollercoaster ride and eventually disappeared ... it gave a good insite in to how difficult life was after the election - he even said that he would have trouble employing himself !!

Personally I wouldn't have voted for him and wasn't a fan of his at all but now that he is out of public life I can't understand all this hostility towards him

Matamoros wrote:
    I saw the interview with Royston Brady last night and I couldn't understand what his motivation for doing the interview was. Firstly I thought, here he is trying to build a few bridges and get back into the fold and then he goes on to criticise the FF organisation and give a small bit of praise to Enda Kenny.

It is exactly those aspects of the interview that many would have found so refreshing and intriguing. Wouldn't it be great if we got more honesty and forthrightness from our politicians? Seems he annoyed the Finna Fail brigade. So what.

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    Seems he annoyed the Finna Fail brigade. So what.

I suspect that's why he is getting the praise he is, because people are viewing his comments through the prism of their stance on FF.

I didn't get any great insight from him. He's just like the ex football manager who snipes at his former chairman, yet never said a word when he was on the payroll.

I suspect that's why he is getting the praise he is, because people are viewing his comments through the prism of their stance on FF.

I have little time for any of the established parties. I appreciated his obvious aversion to the business of politics now that he is removed from it. And, say what you like, but the fact that he clearly wasn't looking for a way back in to the fold gives his comments a degree of credibillity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

can he list off the the new eu countries now? otherwise he still useless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Matamoros

Conor74 might have a point there about judging through prisms. Maybe I am biased against him for some reason. Maybe I am jealous, he has achieved quite a bit despite his downfall. Maybe I am a cynical person who doesn't give the benefit of the doubt to people. I just can't help feeling that when he was Lord Mayor that he spent more time showboating and photo-calling like his mentor does and continues to do instead of getting things done. His record of attending Council meetings is disgracefully low and he also insulted it's members calling them " clowns ". The use of the mayoral carriage for his wedding was an error and there was the issue of outstanding bills not paid by him. I think that he thought that he had a power base built up as a can-do Mayor hence his outburst at Mc Dowell, how wrong he was. For this reason, I say his judgement is flawed and I feel that he is an egotist. Bringing up his family especially his Dad
    again and again just reminds me of Bill Cullen and his old mother D'Arcy who has been lampooned rightly on Today FM and did we not all laugh at that? If he had any friends who have any media savvy, he should have listened to them when they told him to keep it short and sweet.

He is not a bad person and he didn't kill anyone but some people hate fakes and bull sh***ers and I am one of them.

Advertisement