Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I stop the birds wanting to enter my room?

Options
  • 11-05-2007 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭

I'm beginning to get sick of these damn birds at sunrise.

I don't have dreams. Or at least none that I can remember when i wake up. But when ever I do have a dream, there is always something bird related in them. Then during the the dream I remember why the birds are in my dream.

The f*ckers are trying to get in again. So I immediately wake up. And hear the tapping and scratching. I pull across the curtain and no they dont fly away. They goddam look at me. Cheeky little gits. Stand there looking right at me then continue to tap on the window and scratch the frame. So i basically open the window and they fly away and don't come back.

It happens around sunrise. Before and after. Lately it's about 5am. It's beginning to effect me in work as I'm tired. Only happens maybe once a week.

So how do I stop they from wanting to get in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

What type of bird are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Black and White ones. Magpies I think. Sometimes the dirty big black one is about too. He is the loudest. But the other black and white ones chase it away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

BlackWizard, can I ask what kind of windows you have? Something new/plastic/double-glazed.. or older ones with putty holding the glass in?

As a kid, we had the occasional magpie pecking away at whatever had caught its eye in the frame, leaving dents/marks in the putty. Attracted by the linseed oil in the putty?

Also, there might be critters/bugs etc nestled in the side between frame and wall, magpies love rooting food out from situations like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Paste a hawk silhouette on the window

I have double-glazed windows. But they are old. I thought they just want to come in because its warm. If the window is open, sometimes during the day, they stick their head in through my wooden blinds. It's very freaky. I found my old pellet gun. It's an air gun so it wont hurt them. I've yet to have a visit from them since I posted.

I'll actually have a look at the window seal to see if it's being picked at by anything. But it really seems like they just want to come in. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Paste a hawk silhouette on the window
    Good idea, there's also stuff you could put on the outside of the window sill to stop them landing on it not sure what but something uncomfortable for them to land on without hurting them.

DO NOT go using pellet guns.

I haven't used the pellet gun yet. Its only a little toy gun, wouldn't hurt a fly. But it's noisey enough.

Still no visit from the birds. However this is probably because of this lovely young cat that sits outside my window at night which might be scaring away the birds.

I feel like adopting the cat. :) But I've no idea what I'm getting into there. I already have a Dog too.

Advertisement