Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Under 35s Canada Work/Travel Visa USIT

• 12-05-2007 1:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

Im after applying for a work/travel visa for canada this year on the under 35s programme with USIT, stupidly i left it 2 weeks late and it was full by the time i was ready, but im on a waiting list and after some investigating found im #20 on the list, so gotta wait for people to drop out!!

Now that dosent sound too bad to me, but i was just wondering if anyone else had been on the waiting lists in the past and is there a high drop out rate??

Was planning on heading for july/august/sept, but that may have to pushed back now... or turned into a 1 month drink bender in Toronto instead!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭LanceStorm

also if anyone had any stories about getting short term jobs over there, how hard is it?? n what kind of stuff can you get??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭maggz

I was on the waiting list too and got it within a week and a half. If you want to go so soon, you should actually go in about your garda cert straight away, its holding me up :(

i got my visa today, so it was only 2 weeks, even tho on usits website it said i was #24 on the waiting list only a few days ago!! oh well, happy days!!

holy crap, i hadnt seen that on the website!! bugger anyway!! i may go in tmro and get it started, how long does it usually take??

im looking to leave start of july roughly, so i need to start working on that checklist quick!!

LanceStorm wrote:
    i got my visa today, so it was only 2 weeks, even tho on usits website it said i was #24 on the waiting list only a few days ago!! oh well, happy days!!

holy crap, i hadnt seen that on the website!! bugger anyway!! i may go in tmro and get it started, how long does it usually take??

im looking to leave start of july roughly, so i need to start working on that checklist quick!!

I still dont have mine, apparantly it takes a month. and then another 8 weeks for the visa...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

If you know your local Garda they sometimes will write a personal reference and that might do. I got one a couple of years ago when I went to America. My US employer accepted it. It stated that I never had a criminal conviction or any child abuse claims made against me (my US job was with kids).

• Advertisement

it takes 8 weeks for the Visa????

but the website says:
    What is the process and how long will it take after I apply to get my visa?

There are three stages to the application process. First you will register to reserve a place on the programme. Then, if confirmed you will be asked to download the application forms and send them into USIT. If approved, this will be forwarded to the Canadian High Commission and then, if all is in order, you will receive your Work Authorisation documents. These will be sent to you a few weeks before your departure and only after you have confirmed flights and insurance. Your actual appropriate visa will then be stamped into your passport at Immigration as you enter Canada . Applications will be processed in order of date of departure.

they make it sound like only 3 or 4 weeks!!

and yeah i know one of the local guards at home so i might try swing a favour!! thanks for the tip mate!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭Innervision

I'm going to sound totally ignorant here, but what's this Garda cert all about?! I'm leaving in 2 weeks on a student visa, have all my documents from USIT long ago and no mention of this? My friend's doing the Under 35 one, and has all her stuff too, is there something we're missing here?!

4 . Please return the following to USIT:

- Completed USIT Application Form (Page 1).

- Completed CHC forms (pages 2 and 3).

- 2 passport photographs signed on the back

- A photocopy of the personal details page of your passport.

– If you wish to or need to avail of the medical, please complete and attach the ‘Supplemental Medical Form’ to your application.

- A copy of your curriculum vitae (Max 2 pages)

- All applications submitted to USIT will require a Police Certficate from An Garda Siochana. Information on obtaining one of these can be found in the FAQ section at www.garda.ie

-You must also provide a Police Certificate for every country you have resided in for 6 months or more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭Innervision

Right...I'm nearly positive it didn't say that when I sent in my application? Because 6 of us did it together in January, doubt we all could've missed it?! We were all told we were accepted by the Canadian High Commission, & we've all got our work authorisation documents & all...getting worried now though?!

the garda cert is only needed since a certain date, so if ya did it in jan your fine!!

well i finally got my entire application filled out and all sent off yesterday, im really hoping it only takes 4 weeks, as ive set myself a date of july 18 to be leaving!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

LanceStorm wrote:
    it takes 8 weeks for the Visa????

but the website says:
    What is the process and how long will it take after I apply to get my visa?

There are three stages to the application process. First you will register to reserve a place on the programme. Then, if confirmed you will be asked to download the application forms and send them into USIT. If approved, this will be forwarded to the Canadian High Commission and then, if all is in order, you will receive your Work Authorisation documents. These will be sent to you a few weeks before your departure and only after you have confirmed flights and insurance. Your actual appropriate visa will then be stamped into your passport at Immigration as you enter Canada . Applications will be processed in order of date of departure.

they make it sound like only 3 or 4 weeks!!

and yeah i know one of the local guards at home so i might try swing a favour!! thanks for the tip mate!!

It's the Canadian High Commission in London, so it takes that bit longer

does anyone know can you go ahead and book the flights with usit now before the visa comes through, cuz i really cant be waiting till that comes through, and then have to look at flights!! i'll never friggin leave like lol!!

My visa isnt through, and I've booked my flight. Im not going until December though.
    Im going to wait until my visa is through to pay for my insurance though.

the insurance isnt too much is it? only about 150 or so??

also does anyone know who you fly with usit? is it Air Canada? and is there many stop-overs for Toronto?

where are you getting insurance for 150??? ive called around all of the travel insurance places and they dont cover personal accident for 30k. They all say usit have put in that rule so u have to buy their insurance. their insurance with winter sports cover is 521.

LanceStorm wrote:
    also does anyone know who you fly with usit? is it Air Canada? and is there many stop-overs for Toronto?

I'm flying to vancouver and its with British Airways, just one stop in London

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

LanceStorm wrote:
    the insurance isnt too much is it? only about 150 or so??

Air canada fly from dublin to toronto, with a stop in shannon i think. They dont do direct flights to Vancouver from dublin

maggz wrote:
    where are you getting insurance for 150??? ive called around all of the travel insurance places and they dont cover personal accident for 30k. They all say usit have put in that rule so u have to buy their insurance. their insurance with winter sports cover is 521.

they quoted me 162euro for insurance for 3 months!! but then im just going for the very basic insurance, no winter sports!!

Ah ok, I'm getting it for the year.

well after getting some quotes on flights its looking like roughly 700-900 for the flights at this time of year, damn peak season, thats a right kick in the nads as i was hoping it'd be half that... oh well my own fault for leavin it so late!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

The fact that I had to book the flights through USIT pissed me off. I knew I could get cheaper if I could book them myself.
    These Guys are offering Dublin to Toronto direct for less than €500 return. Even less if you go outside peak season.

There's no way around it though, you have to book through USIT. Fly with Air Canada, Dublin to Heathrow, Heathrow to Toronto. It's about 8 hours from London but the entertainment on Air Canada is pretty good so the time passes quick enough.

I came over on the 1 year visa. I've been in Toronto just over a month and loving it. Got a house and job pretty quick but I think I just beat the wave of students who were just starting exams when I left.

If you have any experience doing bar work or waiting you should find a job pretty easy. Lots of restaurants down by the harbour. My mate got a job as a waiter. He works really long shifts and the basic pay is pretty bad but you make up for that with tips. Waiting wasn't for me though so I got a job in a print shop. All will be explained at your Swap Orientation.
    Here are some useful links for jobsites and other stuff.
    toronto.craigslist.org My favourite site for everything, jobs, accomodation, buy and sell sort of stuff.
    jobbank
    workopolis
    Toronto Star
    ViewIt

Let me know if you have any questions, I'll do my best to help. Maybe we should organise a boards beer for Toronto boardsies?

thanks for all the info there mate, ive had a good root through some of the sites n that craigslist will be brilliant for finding work!! im only there for 2-3months so i honestly dont mind what i end up workin in, but if i could avoid waitering i will!!

the flights r a right load of cack, but thats the trap they set ya for the visa i suppose...

yeah a toronto boards beer sounds awesome!! im going to meet some cool random people so bring it on!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 iosfra

How do you know what number you are in the q, if I try to track my order it just says "Payment has not been taken from your card. Please try again later."

Also I see most of you are going to Toronto, I was planning on going to Vancouver anyone heard what jobs/acom are like there?

i went down to my local usit office n got them to check for me, cant always trust the site!!

vancouver is supposed to be absolutely beautiful, and if toronto wasnt so close to chicago & boston, then thats where id be going!! not sure about accom or jobs tho!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 iosfra

I think I should just give them a call, and get an update, worse case scenario I'll go for the 3 months and hope to get a job offer whilst there and get a visa that way, or be an illegal immigrant, always a good option.

Think I'll scope out Vancouver before I'd go to Toronto just because like you said it is beautiful.

There is a train that runs from Toronto to Vancouver - takes 3 days but is ment to be amazing!

haha the joy of inter-railing and canada combined into one trip!!

anyone know much about traveling in canada itself??
    ive heard that the greyhound buses r your main mode of transport between towns!! but between cities your talking about flights??

i want to make the trip from toronto to chicago but a bus journey would surely take a few days??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

via rail are the main train operators
    coach canada for the buses.
    Long distance trains are very expensive from what I've looked into. Buses are cheaper but way longer.
    Flying seems to be the way to get around. For me that's kinda boring though. I'd prefer to see the country from the ground.

well ive looked into toronto to chicago!!

its:
    300 for a Return Flight - 2 hour trip
    160 for a Return Bus - but takes 11 hours
    130 for a Car for 7 days - that price was split between 2 people

so at the mo i'll be honest with you im thinkin bus, its a horrible amount of time, but to save 150quid roughly would be totally worth it!! thats a weeks rent easily!!

does anyone know about the buses for long hauls like that tho, it says there's no transfers so its just the one bus, but like do they stop anywhere to eat/stretch the legs, or could you go halfway, get off somewhere n go the rest of the journey the next day??

• Advertisement

well guys, finally got the ok from usit!!

08/06/2007 16:51:42
    Your application form has been received and we are ready to process it

08/06/2007 17:07:56
    Your application has been checked and is approved for submission to our Sponsor

18/06/2007 15:45:35
    Your application is OK to send to sponsor

18/06/2007 15:45:49
    Your application has been sent to our sponsor

28/06/2007 09:12:23
    Your Work Authorisation Document has been issued

so all in all from when they received my application it took exactly 20 days, which im really impressed with, considering it was looking like 4-6weeks!!
    now to book my flights n get the hell outta here!!:D :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

I cancelled my visa and the assholes wouldn't give me a refund. I should have just not used it.

really?? thats not fair!!
    my friend cancelled his 2 days ago after having paid for it about 2 months back, and they only charged him for 100euro and he got the rest back!!

you should get on to them again!!

on a side note, anyone ever crossed the border into the US with this visa before?? the border guys usually ok about it as long as you've a return ticket outta canada??

LanceStorm wrote:

on a side note, anyone ever crossed the border into the US with this visa before?? the border guys usually ok about it as long as you've a return ticket outta canada??

yea i think thats totally fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

maggz wrote:
    Ah ok, I'm getting it for the year.

Cool, im going the same way, same city, lezbe friends!!11 =/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rentershotline

If you are looking for a great place to rent anywhere in Canada, visit the Renters Hotline - http://www.rentershotline.ca!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

I just landed in toronto, in the hostel showerd changed and let them all know at home i'm golden and now i reallised...i dont know anyone!!!
    Damn this is scary! Like "When is the next flight out" scary!!
    Anyone else here on their own?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭mindlet

Skinfull wrote: »
    I just landed in toronto, in the hostel showerd changed and let them all know at home i'm golden and now i reallised...i dont know anyone!!!
    Skinful, I will be out in Oct, but my 22 year old niece is heading Toronto way today, do you want her details- I can ask..she is on the student visa and is staying in a condo there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

Skinfull wrote: »

Stay in the Canadiana hostel downtown for a few days. You cant not meet people in the place!!

Advertisement