Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recording set-up opinions

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

if you can get nuendo then your all set. get the firepod and then spend the rest on mics etc. the software makes no difference unless you have good sound coming in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

Nice... that's what I was hoping for.

Oh, and just a lil aside while I'm replying to this thread: If you pm me offering to record my music for money etc, please have at least read the first post and listened to the samples, otherwise yer just taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

I mean... the quality of the recording is going to be the same regardless yeah? The differant software is really all about ease of use, extra options etc?

The general consensus amongst most engineers is that the difference between the audio engines and algorithms behind the various recording programs is negligible. But don't underestimate what a good workflow and options from a good DAW will offer you offer you. I personally have zero interest in using Pro-tools for a few reasons but near the top of that list is the incredible amount of free VST's available. And as for Pro tools LE? No bloody way holy Jose! That said, while I now use Cubase SX I used to use the most basic version of Cubase when I had to with great results. On the myspace link in my sig is three songs. The first 2 were recorded on Cubase SX, the third one (Is She Real) was recorded entirely through a 1/4" jack on the free Cubase and a soundblaster card for under €100. Is there an unbelievable difference in the quality? No. Just goes to show you I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

The difference in sequencers is largely down to functionality: certain features are supporte dby different sequencers such as acidized wav loops, up to 24 inputs at once etc. Also, I think people are inclined to stick to one brand as the learning curve can be steep...there's no way I'd switch from Cubase as it's taken me some time to become proficient in using it.

So then really there'd be no problem with me sticking with the adobe audition that I'm used to? Hmmm, that's a thinker.

• Advertisement

So then really there'd be no problem with me sticking with the adobe audition that I'm used to? Hmmm, that's a thinker.

Offhand I dunno what features it has...it's all about the features! Reaper is free and kicks ass.

Excellent. EXCELLENT. WUhahahahahahaha.

Righteo, I'm gonna go shopping at the weekend then... I'll probably post up an aul list, but at the mo I'm thinking those €400 monitors, the recording input that Pinky recommended, a whack load of ram, two of those naiant mics and possibly an sm7 (was it 7?).

I should be getting all the software off a chap I know, so that's a fair bit off the price tag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Paligulus

I was in the exact same position as yourself a couple of months where I was only familier with Adobe audition and I was trying to weigh up the pro's and con's of making the hugh jump to using Cubase (or Pro Tools, I havn't used but I'm sure its just as hard). I couldn't see the point in changing since I could make music with Audition, and what difference is a glorified sequencer going to make. While I wont say a bad word against Adobe Audition, I am very glad I switched to Cubase. My workflow is better which means my results are so much better. Admitadely it took me ages to get to a comfortable stage with Cubase but it has definately been worth it.

I'm not preaching about DAW's (I only 'know' two of them!!), but dont rule out switching to a 'high end' DAW (either now or down the line when the budget suits)

Cheers
    Dave

Wow, that's nice to hear... here was I thinking I was the only person in the world that used adobe audition. Yeah, I'm thinking of checking out the nuendo thing for the craic. I'm sure in theory they can't be that differant... sure the buttons might be in differant places but I guess it's just like going from a mac to a pc, it might take you a lil more time to figure it out, but when you do it makes sense.

Wow, that's nice to hear... here was I thinking I was the only person in the world that used adobe audition. Yeah, I'm thinking of checking out the nuendo thing for the craic. I'm sure in theory they can't be that differant... sure the buttons might be in differant places but I guess it's just like going from a mac to a pc, it might take you a lil more time to figure it out, but when you do it makes sense.

Did you say you were going for an SM7 or SM57?

• Advertisement

I dunno... one mic was recommended to me a few times, I've been working all weekend so I haven't been able to get down to the business of shopping... ugh, were both mics recommended? Oh.

Well that just took a chunk out of my bank account.

Went for...

the personus firepod
    Tascam monitors
    Twin pair of Naiant msh-2
    Shure SM7
    2gb ram

Worked out altogether at about 1500. Didn't realise the SM7 was so expensive, but sure, I always like Shure stickers on my guitar case so that's a go-er. :cool:

Went for...

the personus firepod
    Tascam monitors
    Shure SM7
    2gb ram

Worked out altogether at about 1500. Didn't realise the SM7 was so expensive, but sure, I always like Shure stickers on my guitar case so that's a go-er. :cool:

Man forget the cost you've jsut amde a great investment...you'll always be able to sell on that SM7 at a a later date. You might be waiting a while on those naiants, but they're worth it. Let us know how you find the firepod and those tascam monitors...I start work Tuesday and am thinking of putting my summer cash into a revamped studio.

Ah yeah I know it's an investment, I'm not too bothered long term, it's just nasty in the short-term when the bank balance is looking slim, and I ordered it on my Dad's credit card, so it felt like a huge chunk being ripped out of me when I handed over €1500 in 50s! :p

Did you have to pay duty or anything on your naiant mics? It just occured to me an hour or so ago that because they're from America I might get stung with some sort of duty, even though they were under €100.

Ah yeah I know it's an investment, I'm not too bothered long term, it's just nasty in the short-term when the bank balance is looking slim, and I ordered it on my Dad's credit card, so it felt like a huge chunk being ripped out of me when I handed over €1500 in 50s! :p

Did you have to pay duty or anything on your naiant mics? It just occured to me an hour or so ago that because they're from America I might get stung with some sort of duty, even though they were under €100.

Nope, I think mine came in around €60, though I think Jon mentioned something about UPS price increases? How much was your shipping, I think mine was only ten dollars.

Oh and I'm glad to see I'm not the only person ordering recording gear without their own credit card!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Paligulus

Went for...

the personus firepod
    Tascam monitors
    Shure SM7
    2gb ram

Well the best of luck with the new investment. Make sure you post some samples once you get everything up and running.

TelePaul wrote:
    Nope, I think mine came in around €60, though I think Jon mentioned something about UPS price increases? How much was your shipping, I think mine was only ten dollars.

Oh and I'm glad to see I'm not the only person ordering recording gear without their own credit card!

I think in total the naiant bill was about €75. Aslong as people don't try to hold my gear to ransom until I pay some over the top fee, I'm happy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I'll be very interested to see how the Firepod works out, I was on the verge of getting one of those myself a while back.

Enjoy the new toys!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

the firepod is a brilliant piece of kit. i've been using one for the last few months and its a joy. its a shame its only 8 channels though, because when you have 6 for the drums, one for bass, and one for guitar, you are left with nothing for vocals. its not really a problem, but it would be nice to stick down a few songs live, vox an all.

pinksoir wrote:
    the firepod is a brilliant piece of kit. i've been using one for the last few months and its a joy. its a shame its only 8 channels though, because when you have 6 for the drums, one for bass, and one for guitar, you are left with nothing for vocals. its not really a problem, but it would be nice to stick down a few songs live, vox an all.

You can theoretically string two together. Or take a look at the Firestudio, up to 24 inputs.

• Advertisement

hah hah yeah, I was looking at the fire studio and then thought no, easy now, easy.

I'm resurrecting this thread because I had a decent input into it a while back and it seems I've forgotten much of the advice I was so quick to hand out!

Frankie, hows your recording going these days?

Advertisement