Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SkyDSL "fair usage"

Options
  • 12-05-2007 11:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭

SkyDSL's fair usage, or "heavy" and "light" user prioritization is getting right up my arse at this stage.

If you are just loading webpage’s, with text and a few images, it will go nicely along at full speed, at 1.6 ~ 2mb/s

But if you download a “large” file or the page contains streaming media, any time from 11am to nearly 11 at night, your speed is bumped right down, to roughly 256kb/s. i.e. 30 bB/s. After about mid night you can download large files at full speed, which is workable I suppose.

But lately that speed bump has been going WAY down, to actual dial up speeds. 30kb/s i.e. ~ 3kB/s

I’m using Athlantic Bird 2 and when you view the current satellite usages charts you can see that it’s fairly congested during these hours.

Are any of the other available satellites any less congested as Atlantic Bird 2, has anyone else experienced slowdowns like I have when downloading a file during the day?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭lukin

I've only been using skyDSL for a few days but I haven't had that problem so far. Before I decided to get it I was a bit put off when I saw "fair usage policy" but I haven't experienced any slowdown so far.
    Last night at 9 pm I d'loaded a 60 MB file in 2 minutes.
    It started off at 1 MB/sec and went gradually down. By the time the d'load finished it was at 472 kbs/sec
    I don't use streaming media much but I listened to a few songs online at the same time last night and it was fine.
    I went on speedtest.net and got 1662 kbps for download.
    I've only watched a few youtube videos but they were fine too. I am using Atlantic Bird 3 I think.
    I haven't d'loaded any massive files yet 'cause I'm on a 3GB cap but I'll be d'loading a 350 MB file sometime next week so I'll know more then.
    I didn't know you could look up the satellite usage on the 'net.
    Have you got a link for that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Myxomatosis

Yeah, just log into your SkyDSL account and its down at the bottom, you can check your bills, usage, skyRDF usage aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭lukin

Yeah, just log into your SkyDSL account and its down at the bottom, you can check your bills, usage, skyRDF usage aswell

Oh right, I see that now, thanks.

Advertisement