Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How bad are the party political broadcasts!

Options
  • 12-05-2007 12:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Anyone seen the party political broadcasts recently? Oh they're hilariously bad.

The the acting in Labour's one is shockingly awful. Never seen such bad acting outside of Fair City, say ten years ago.

And as for FF, the 'ah sure, its grand like' attitute shines through. Like people have no ambition whatsoever. And the good things they mention that FF did, there seems to be only two major achievements – the economy and Northern Ireland – the rest were pathetically minor issues like a plastic bag tax! Its quite honest, I suppose like, I'd say they don't really have any major achievements anywhere else, which you expect there to be after 10 years. And being thankful to FF for running water??? Whats that about? It may be running, are you sure its not polluted?!? Oh and lets not turn this into a FF achievement thread please!

Not seen the others yet... can't wait :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

I thought Enda Kenny's one was suprisingly impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

They really should not use actors. Unless you're going to hire the likes of Dustin Hoffman, or at least Gabriel Byrne, then you really shouldn't try at all.

Party political broadcasts are one situation where you really can't afford bad acting, it makes everything else seem fake and badly rehearsed too.

The opposition would be better of walking down the street with a TV camera and a mic, and showing genuine distaste for the FFPD government and seeking genuine opinions on proposed Government policy. I haven't seen the FG one yet, I hope it's better than the Labour and FF broadcasts.

why does enda keep asking me to sign a contract?
    I will sign nothing without legal advice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

I love the sketch they do about him on (I think?) 2fm in the mornings about that, it sounds like him too.

/edit: Uses offensive language, may be offensive to some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Dandesav

I have to say the acting in the Labour one is TERRIBLE!!! But at least there was a poing to it, and they got the 5 changes across in it!

The FG one wasn't too bad- Enda looked so serious!

The FF one was a joke! Are they actually claiming credit for people having electricity, phones and TVs?!! I mean what'll we get after another 5 years, running water? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

In Galway, perhaps, mabye, they *might* have running, drinkable water in a year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

ooh! plastic bag levy! i'm so impressed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jb91

The people at the start of the FF one are laughing at whoever asked them to vote for the Fianna Failures :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mick86

zappy wrote:
    Anyone seen the party political broadcasts recently?

No, Thank God. And I don't read their junk mail either. I'm also blessed by having moved to a quiet village a while back where there are not enough people to entice the canvassers. I'm going on holidays next Saturday so with a little luck I might miss the whole thing.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

They're all brutal but Labour's is comically so.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭28064212

DeepBlue wrote:
    Are these the broadcasts?...
    Yep, that's them.

Labour's is very poor alright, especially when they have such a good speaker in Pat Rabbitte. Using 'real stories' when you're going on about how sucky things are make it look like you got a bunch of whingers, irrespective of whether their points are valid or not.

At least with Fianna Fáil's, it's a positive attitude. But the OP's points are pretty accurate, there's very much an attitude of "f*ck it, don't rock the boat". Having someone at the end saying "Don't spoil it" smacks of desperation. Whoever in the party thought it would be a good idea to have the aul' one talk about electricity etc. should be taken out, given a course in PR, and then shot. Nothing in the broadcast makes it look like they have any plans for the future. Of the significant achievements they do mention, the only truly impressive one that they can take full credit for is the smoking ban, and to a limited degree, the success of the economy. Although in reality the EU and foreign companies had more to do with it than Fianna Fáil.

The National Treatment Purchase Fund was set up because of the hames they made of the public health service. Child-care is still prohibitively expensive. They have average Joes saying stuff like "less taxes=more money for me" or "Ireland has a green image abroad, farmers can be very proud of that". Saying we wouldn't have a peace process in Northern Ireland without Fianna Fáil is a crock of sh*t, it's the politicians in Northern Ireland who have done the work. Bertie just showed up for a few photo-shoots. Unfortunately, I think that this broadcast is going to play very well in the sticks. I suppose I should consider myself lucky that Bertie doesn't appear in it. Significant enough that he's the only leader that's not in his parties' broadcast.

Fine Gael's one impressed me. Kenny comes across very well, and the style is one that Labour would have done well to follow. In particular, he looks and sounds very much like leadership material in the Ard Fheis speech section. When he's talking about 'change' and 'new government', having Pat Rabbitte in the shots is a clever move, looking towards the transfer votes. Kenny appears honest and direct in the video, which contrasts very well with Bertie's general habit of talking without saying anything. If Kenny talks as well on the Primetime debate as he does on this, he'll wipe the floor with Ahern and gain a significant boost for FG in the election.

Oh, and lol at Myth's posting taking the p*ss out of Kenny

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Dandesav

28064212 wrote:
    Fine Gael's one impressed me. Kenny comes across very well, and the style is one that Labour would have done well to follow. In particular, he looks and sounds very much like leadership material in the Ard Fheis speech section. When he's talking about 'change' and 'new government', having Pat Rabbitte in the shots is a clever move, looking towards the transfer votes. Kenny appears honest and direct in the video, which contrasts very well with Bertie's general habit of talking without saying anything. If Kenny talks as well on the Primetime debate as he does on this, he'll wipe the floor with Ahern and gain a significant boost for FG in the election.

I agree- he looked very sincere and honest, very statesmand-like. I'm a little worried about the debate, but hopefully he can across like he does on the broadcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Has anyone seen the 'Christian Solidarity Party' Election ad?

It was on last night before the 'state of us'
    Hilarious stuff.

Straight out of the 1950s... not too out of place for such a conservative party.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I saw the CSP broadcast last night. Unreal!

Akrasia wrote:
    Has anyone seen the 'Christian Solidarity Party' Election ad?
    Youtube link anybody?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Please please tell me someone has the Christain party one on youtube. The guy had one milky eye. He could not pronounce any of the big words and he stammered a lot. it was awesome.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Don't forget Pat Fitzggerald in Arklow...

Dandesav wrote:
    I agree- he looked very sincere and honest, very statesmand-like. I'm a little worried about the debate, but hopefully he can across like he does on the broadcast.

Eh? This contract is so good I put my name to it. Foreman Grill anyone?

The Christian Solidarity or whatever one was just... bizzarre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

Gael wrote:

The GP video is probably the slickest PPB I've ever seen in Ireland. I wonder if it was an in-house concept or some outside PR firm who came up with it?

Meanwhile FF have called in some "big guns" for their latest offering.

The closing sequence of about 15 seconds is the most interesting. I never, ever thought I would see Ian Paisley being used as a political endorsement by any party, least of all FF. Just goes to show how times have changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

The FF PPB looks like Bertie's obituary. Tacky to say the least

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

My favorites so far are:
    1) FF (the new one)
    2) FG
    3) FF the old one
    3) Lab
    4) CSP

I haven't watched the Greens yet.

EDIT: Just watched the Greens. It's cheesy, manipulative bollix.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

I thought SF's one was good...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIcOwsD1Xuo&mode=related&search=

Couldn't resist :D

The Green one was good alright. Cheesy but I can see many votes identifying with it.

I didn't like the FF Peace Process one - seemed more like something you'd see on TV after Bertie's gone. Too much looking back at the past. They should have tried to show what Bertie's leet people skillz will do to get us through the next 5 years!

simu wrote:
    I didn't like the FF Peace Process one - seemed more like something you'd see on TV after Bertie's gone. Too much looking back at the past. They should have tried to show what Bertie's leet people skillz will do to get us through the next 5 years!
    Both of Fianna Fáil's broadcasts looked purely at the past. There wasn't one mention about any of their plans for the future.

The Green's was very well done, and I reckon could've earned them a couple of undecideds. It worked a lot better than the other two which used 'real people' (FF and Labour).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭marie_85

FF's amuses me. As I saw someone point out either here or on politics.ie, Dev would be turning in his grave to see FF using the British PM's endorsement as a method of getting votes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭thelepo

[HTML]<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XSz8wNMTSbk"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XSz8wNMTSbk&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>[/HTML]

Ok lads, I'm trying to embed here, a little help?

• Advertisement

Advertisement