Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bt broadband

Options
  • 12-05-2007 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

i have bt broad band ,and they state that is 3 meg , but **** me and i am so seriously pissed of ,is , when im downloading the max speed i get is 50 kb a second , and my question , what is wrong , ? is it the provider ,or is my setting ,??

because it seems bt are ripping me off on this one , i mean when i got it first ti was fine ,but in the last year ive got a wireless ,modem , and since then my connection is brutal

and i live right beside a national school , which i reckon is near the exchange .

it should be 3 megs ie 150 kps a second but it is more like , 50 kbs a sec,
    my modem is zytel prestege 623 r

if it is my settings can some one please help me on static ip addresses , and port forwarding >for azeaurs fsp and my modem

thanking you in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

3Mb would be around 330kb/s.

Download speeds are Up TO 3Mb so you're not guaranteed those speeds.

Check you modem for whatever speed you're connected at.

What is the download speed you get from a speedtest / heanet etc.

You might be getting confused between your download speed, and the speed you are getting through an application like Bit Torrent

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Lazairus

ok i have done an isp test and the results are as follows ,

donwload speed 436 kbps a second
    and my upload speeds are 249 kbps a second

i mean, its not as bad as last mile bb who are terrible, but i feel it could be better

Cheeers laz

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

you're right. i'm on bt 3MB. i just ran a test and got:
    2618 kbps down (327 kB)
    318 kbps up (40 kB)

as zabbo says try to download something from HEAnet and see what speen you get there. that'll give you the best indication of the speed you're getting.

you say that its been bad since you got wireless. if possible, plug the computer directly into the router and see what speeds your getting. if its much faster that way you're probably too far away or there's some noise in the area. either way, if its much faster without wireless the problem's at your end and not BT's.

if the problem isn't with the wireless then its at their end. if you plug the computer directly into the router and download from HEAnet and the speed is still slow its not a setting on your computer.

there could be some fixable problem at their end but if your line's not capable of the 3MB you might just consider dropping to a lower package.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Lazairus

did that speed test when i was plugged into the modem directly ,

i will download a file tomorrow from heanet, so please wait thanks for the advice

Advertisement