Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat loose in my house

Options
  • 12-05-2007 1:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭

I had the back patio door open in my house earlier while taking in clothes from the clothes line and when I came back into the house I locked the patio door. I saw a cat in the hall and I jumped and let out a scream. The cat made a lunge for me and ran at the patio door, and knocked himself over. I was unlocking the door and he jumped at me again and tried to get out the door, hitting his head very hard on the glass. He fell over and ran off into the hall. Now I cannot seem to find the cat anywhere in the house. There were no other windows or doors open, so I cant see how he could have escaed without me knowing. What are the chances he's concussed or dead somewhere in my house? I am really freaked out, as he isnt to be seen anywhere. I am also afraid of frightening him even more, seeing as he's tried to jump on me twice. He's a stray cat by the way - not a house one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Just leave the door open and stay away from it (the door) as far as possible while keeping a quiet eye on it.

The cat has probaly hidden behind or on top of something and is a bit slow to leave that safe place ...given some time it will eventually, provided you don't scare it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Well I'm sitting in the house alone, away from the door. I havent moved from my seat in about 30 mins. Its been an hour since this happened, and I cant sit here all day. Could he have knocked himself out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

First off, don't panic!
    He was desperate to get out, that's why he was jumping at the door, he was more panicked than you.
    He's probably hiding somewhere, the bang on the head can't have helped at all. If he's concussed, he'll come around, puke a bit and then try to get out again.

Try opening your patio door fully and all the other doors *inside* the house so that he can find his way out.
    It might help if you open a tin of tuna fish and put it just outside that patio door, it almost never fails to attract a cat.
    Go out an sit in the garden, he'll sense the silence and hopefully try to find his way out.
    Hope it works for you. :)

Ok my boyfriend came to my rescue and found him. He's hiding in my wardrobe in my bedroom. I pity him having to coax it out. Thanks for your reassurance and advice. I didnt want to put food out at the door, as there are a group of stray cats in the area, and I dont want to attrct them all.

If your boyfriend likes the arteries in his wrists to stay intact, I'd advise him NOT to reach into that wardrobe to get the cat out :D

Open all windows in the bedroom, lock the door, leave the cat alone.

It'll leave all by itself eventually (having said that ...the insides of wardrobes are very comfy ...we have great trouble getting tame cats out of there ...so it may take some time)

• Advertisement

I dont particularly feel like having the cat loose in my bedroom. I need to get dressed! He's trying coax out the cat with food. He's had cats all his life, so I hope he understands them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Poor puss. I had a feral cat come in and I caught it by pouncing on it with a laundry basket, then sliding a tray under to trap it.

Ok, so the cat isnt interested in food. Plan B is in action - moving him with a hurl. Not hitting him or anything, but gently coaxing him out. My nerves are shot!

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭ambman

boxer dog should sort your problem :D:D:D

The more you move in on the cat, the more it's gonna retreat.

Just give it some space and time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Angus MacGyver

Crisis over! I think this cat was just lazy and comfortable so i gently pulled all the clothes out from around him with the butt of a hurl. He poked his head out so I kept back, giving him as much room as possible. He came out slowly and I was expecting him to make a dart for it but he just trotted out past me to the top of the stairs, walked down and out the door.

Nightwish thanks ye for all help and sugestions

Boxer Dog! Ha Ha Ha, Briliant

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Ya can't beat a happy ending now can ya!

Advertisement