Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun Sales

Options
  • 12-05-2007 2:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

where is a good place to start looking for a second hand .22 rifle i know i could fork out for a brand new one at the gun shop but i am a tight b*st*rd got the permission to shoot on land sorted so hopefully should have no problems getting the licence also does it have to be spicified on the licence if you want a sound moderator or can it be bought with just the licence

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

where do u live?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

gundealer?

A mod requires a cert from your local super

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭ArthurJ

A mod requires a cert from your local super

OP is it a cert or a permit or are they same thing.
    The reason I ask is, my FO told me a mod "only requires a permit and not a cert."

Think its a permit - not sure though.

Might be getting a rifle with a mod on it in the near future so will need to check it out.

Permits are not certs - permits are free and are at the discretion of the local super.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

mine is just a letter say Mr.x can use mod on rifle at Xplace

will post it later on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Speaking of Mods.........

I want one, a SAK if I can find someplace that will get me one.
    I want to get one above board. (I know some places
    will sell you one without any questions asked)

I just got a letter from my club this week saying they would have no objection
    to me using a mod on my rifle for health and safty reasons.
    Was gonna bring it into my FO and go about doing whatever I need
    to do to get a mod.

I'd like to be able to get the "facts" straight before I attempt to
    convince the local Garda to allow me to buy/own/attach one.
    I know poeple here have said before you need a letter from your super
    to legally have one, I have also heard that you just need to get your
    cert stamped to declare it and various other stories.

Where in the Firearms act exactly or in any other forms of law
    does it state that a Letter from the Super OR a permit or whatever
    it is you actually need to lawfully have one.

I want to know Specificially and clearly where it is written in Law
    where it tells me the requirements needed of me to have/own/attach one
    to my rifle.

Info like this should/could be sticky'd from everyone to see.

I have scoured the firearms
    act and it does mention silencers in the Definitions and interpretation section
    as a componant part of a firearm but it does not specify state that you need
    permission from the local super to have it. Surely if you buy one
    its considered a componant part like a magazine/barrel/scope/bolt/spring etc
    and you dont need any special permissions etc.
    Its the rifle itself that is licenced and not the compnent parts.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭J.R.

FIREARMS AND OFFENSIVE WEAPONS ACT, 1990

Possession, sale, etc., of silencers.

7.—(1) A person shall be guilty of an offence if he has in his possession or sells or transfers to another person a silencer unless the possession, sale or transfer is authorised in writing by the superintendent of the district in which the first-mentioned person resides.

(2) A superintendent shall not grant an authorisation under this section unless he is satisfied that the person who is to have possession of the silencer or to whom it is to be sold or transferred is the holder of a firearm certificate for a firearm to which the silencer can be fitted and that—
    ( a ) having regard to all the circumstances, the possession, sale or transfer concerned will not endanger the public safety or the peace, and
    ( b ) the person has a special need that is, in the opinion of the superintendent, sufficient to justify the granting of the authorisation for the silencer.

(3) The superintendent of the district where the holder of an authorisation under this section resides may, at any time, attach to the authorisation such conditions as he considers necessary for the purpose of preventing danger to the public or to the peace or of ensuring that the silencer is used only to satisfy the special need for which the authorisation was granted.

(4) An authorisation under this section may be granted for such period not exceeding one year as is specified in the authorisation and may be revoked by the superintendent of the district where its holder resides.

(5) A person who contravenes a condition attached to an authorisation under this section shall be guilty of an offence.

(6) A person guilty of an offence under this section shall be liable—
    ( a ) on summary conviction, to a fine not exceeding £1,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding one year or to both, or(
    b ) on conviction on indictment, to a fine or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years or to both.

(7) This section does not apply in relation to a person specified in paragraph (b), (c) or (d) of subsection (3) of section 2 of the Firearms Act, 1925, or paragraph (a) or (b) of subsection (4) (inserted by the Firearms Act, 1964) of that section

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1990/en/act/pub/0012/sec0007.html

Probably updated in CJB '06/'07 but it's there anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Cheers guys,

I had been reading....
    FIREARMS ACT (as amended) 1925-2006

As opposed to......
    Firearms and Offensive Weapons Act, 1990

~B

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Vinniew

u have a pm

Advertisement