Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Candidates Election 2007

Options
  • 12-05-2007 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

Who are you voting for and why? Also do you vote people or parties?

I'm in South Central and I'm thinking

1) Senator John Minihan (PDs) - Party vote would like the PDs to be in power.

2) Dan Boyle – (Green) He supports Arts & Drama in Cork - A selfish vote rather than for the greater social good. Hopefully he will improve the rubbish recycling facilities in Cork City Centre, plus I couldn't care less if he increases the proce of petrol.

3) Ted NEVILLE – (Independent) Immigration Control

4) Michael Martin – (FF) Don't want to vote FF but I think MM gets stuff done especially wrt Education/Health

I don't know anything about these guys Maurice Fitzgerald (Ind /YFG) and
    Gerard Linehan (Ind). I googled them briefly but didn't find much. Possibly would give them a vote depending on policies.

Maybes (further down the list)
    Micheal McGrath (FF)
    Ciaran Lynch (Labour)
    Jerry Buttimer – (FG) Community/Roads

Definate no votes:
    0 – Deirdre Clune
    0 – Simon Coveney
    0 – Henry Cremin
    0 – John Dennehy
    0 – Morgan Stack (Ind)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Cork South Central too. I'm thinking . . .

1. Michael McGrath (FF) - Good with local issues and very hard working.
    2. Dan Boyle (GP) - Intelligent Dáil speaker, would like to see a promotion of public transport/recycling in Cork.
    3. Deirdre Clune (FG) - One of the few candidates who has come to my door and disagreed with something I said. Fair play.
    4. Michéal Martin (FF) - One of the more competent government ministers.

I wouldn't vote for anyone else due to ideological/personal/policy issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

I would haved to give Deirdre Clune a vote as the only female however having seen her give various speeches through City of Culture and her Lord Mayor term there is no way. She came across badly to me. I think she's a poor public speaker which is never the hallmark of a successful politican. She seems to have no charisma. I emailed/left voicemail her re a few issues last year and she never responded. I think she's a 'yes women' with a monied background. I think she's in politics for the prestige not the policies.

Tell me about Michael McGrath? He's so young, first elected at 22!

ETA:
    Micheal Martin 20%
    Simon Coveney 14%
    Dan Boyle 14%
    John Dennehy 11%
    Michael McGrath 11%
    Ciaran Lynch 9%
    Jerry Buttimer 7%
    Henry Cremin 6%
    Deirdre Clune 6%
    John Minihan 2%

Wow John Minihan seems really unlikely as the only PD candidate I thought he's have more support, I think the PDs are outperforming FF.

I presume Morgan Stack is a joke candidate? His policy is 9/11 investigation and on mycandiate.ie it says he's on the dole?

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

I had Morgan Stack as a lecturer in UCC last year. What a joke of a man. We had his class on a friday at 10 o clock and he rarely showed up. When he did he just rambled rubbish, drank a can of coke and didnt even wear a belt. I heard he got "let go" and i couldn't think of a more deserving indiviual. I wouldn't let him mind a stuffed animal, not to mention vote him into government.

Oh yeah, i'm Cork South Central too.

1. Michael Martin
    2. Dan Boyle
    3. Ciarain Lynch

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Well, as my girlfriend is Polish, Ted Neville and his idiotic arguments will never get my vote, nor my partner who is living in Ireland for 4 years, with an Irish car for 3, and paying taxes for 4 years in a good, high paying job. The Stormfront "Irish White Nationalist Community" are promoting his virulent racist manifesto :

http://www.stormfront.org/forum/showthread.php/icp-candidate-running-cork-384575.html?

Simon Coveney will get my vote, because when my motorbike Insurance Company went into liquidation in 2001, Simon listened to everything I said on many many occasions, and brought my arguments to Dáil Eireann, and I finally recouped most of the 2700 Euro I stood to loose. He's also spoken up for me when the Gardaí wanted to introduce the unenforcable concept of no-tolerance speeding fines.

• Advertisement

ned78 wrote:
    Well, as my girlfriend is Polish, Ted Neville and his idiotic arguments will never get my vote, nor my partner who is living in Ireland for 4 years, with an Irish car for 3, and paying taxes for 4 years in a good, high paying job.

I think Neville could have a lot of votes if he did some advertising.
    Only Irish citizens are entitled to vote in General Elections.
    Since You Last Voted...

> €1.5 Billion has been spent on the asylum support
    process! - an extraordinary sum when one considers that
    90% of applicants are found to be illegal. The free legal-aid
    system is used to fight appeals at great cost "up to the
    steps of the air-plane", as one Government official put it.

> The Government told us that 10,000 workers max. would
    come from the new EU accession states, but the real figure
    is 200,000, a huge distorting figure in a small economy .

> The Government's failure to 'ring-fence' its child-support
    payment scheme, means that €90 Million goes annually
    to children actually resident in those accession states.

> While our primary school-children put up with overcrowded
    class-rooms, 800 recently-sanctioned new teachers have
    to be allocated to teaching English to newcomers-children
    with no improvement in the ratio.

> The English language teaching schools have been used
    as a loophole through which students dissappear into the
    black economy during or after their courses .

> The demographic make-up of our capital city has altered
    dramatically - and predictions have been made of areas
    where the native population might soon be a minority
    itself !

> 20% of prison committals are from the foreign national
    community - hardly the trend we would have expected.

> There are huge expanding populations in the third-world
    countries, many of whom now see Ireland as an favoured
    destination - we can't cope with this and must send a
    signal that it's not sustainable. Immigration Control
    Platform policy favours using the vast sums of asylum
    support expenditure as overseas-aid where it can really
    help a greater number of these people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

Wasn't Ted Neville's house in Douglas vandalised a few months back?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Dan Boyle got booted off my ballot card when he spammed this very forum. He's very much an opposition politician anyway, he hasn't a single policy of his own.

Why anyone would vote FF or PD after the lies and deceit of the current lot is beyond me.

adam

When he did he just rambled rubbish, drank a can of coke and didnt even wear a belt.
    Does he not realise? The true conspiracy is a secret plot by the government of the United States of America to promote and encourage the consumption of Coca-Cola through brainwashing and mind control!

• Advertisement

dahamsta wrote:
    Why anyone would vote FF or PD after the lies and deceit of the current lot is beyond me.

adam

I can't understand how FF are predicted to pick up three seats leaving the PD the least likely party candidate.

dahamsta wrote:
    Not everyone in FF/PD's are bad.

Kazbah wrote:
    I can't understand how FF are predicted to pick up three seats leaving the PD the least likely party candidate.
    John Minihan is a blatant populist who's making promises that are the complete antithesis to the party line. Luas for Cork, more doctors/nurses/police, no debt for Cork Airport, etc. I'd vote for him if he actually challenged the above issues.

John Minihan is a blatant populist

By that do you mean he tells people what he thinks they want to hear?
    Couldn't you say the same of all politicians?

Kazbah wrote:
    I think Neville could have a lot of votes if he did some advertising.

I think the "Irish White Nationalist Community" or, as they should be called "The racist, let's get everyone out of Ireland now Community" are doing enough advertising for the likes of him. His policies appeal to the uneducated, and ill-informed, people like him are not needed in this country.

ned78 wrote:
    His policies appeal to the uneducated, and ill-informed, people like him are not needed in this country.

Well that's a bit of a sweeping generalisation I have two postgraduate qualifications, one of which was a scholarship. Have First Class in both plus my undergraduate degree and I spent the afternoon taking the time to research all the candidates in my constituency.

Personal attacks are not neccessary for political debate.
    Maybe that's why one should never talk about politics.

BTW Dennehy is apparently the most expensive TD and has only visited the Dail 4 times since his 2004!

Here's some of the manifesto published by Kazbah from Ted Neville's site :
    Since You Last Voted...
    €1.5 Billion has been spent on the asylum support
    process! - an extraordinary sum when one considers that
    90% of applicants are found to be illegal. The free legal-aid
    system is used to fight appeals at great cost "up to the
    steps of the air-plane", as one Government official put it.

90%? Hardly. Show me the statistics Ted, and your 'source' too if you wouldn't mind.
    The Government told us that 10,000 workers max. would come from the new EU accession states, but the real figure
    is 200,000, a huge distorting figure in a small economy .

The Government didn't promise anything of the sort. As an EU member, Ireland has no say on how many other EU workers wish to come here. That's called the Open Border Policy.
    The Government's failure to 'ring-fence' its child-support payment scheme, means that €90 Million goes annually
    to children actually resident in those accession states.

Children, who's Parents actually pay taxes while working here ... so they're actually entitled to the child-support scheme :rolleyes:
    While our primary school-children put up with overcrowded class-rooms, 800 recently-sanctioned new teachers have
    to be allocated to teaching English to newcomers-children with no improvement in the ratio.

Again, more stats pulled from Ted's arse.
    The English language teaching schools have been used
    as a loophole through which students dissappear into the black economy during or after their courses .

No idea what the man is on about here, but it sounds like the usual scaremongering you'll find on a badly xerox'd flier pasted to an ESB box on the Grand Parade. He's saying a lot, but actually saying nothing.
    The demographic make-up of our capital city has altered dramatically - and predictions have been made of areas where the native population might soon be a minority itself !

So, what's the solution there Genius? Leave the EU? Close our Borders? It's called the 21st century, where people live side by side from different cultures, with different languages, in other words diversity. Long may it continue. And even though you place it on your agenda, there's bugger all you could even do about it if you were elected anyway ... thankfully!
    20% of prison committals are from the foreign national
    community - hardly the trend we would have expected.

Source?
    There are huge expanding populations in the third-world
    countries, many of whom now see Ireland as an favoured destination - we can't cope with this and must send a signal that it's not sustainable. Immigration Control Platform policy favours using the vast sums of asylum support expenditure as overseas-aid where it can really help a greater number of these people.

The stupidity of this statement beggars belief. So, in Ted's expert opinion, we should no longer have an asylum seeking system here, but rather, send the money abroad in the hopes third world countries will say "Oh look, Ireland sent us money, let's not go there"?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

You should have said "or ill-informed" ned78.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Well no prizes for guessing who I will be voting for, as per my sig. I've been deciding, because its very difficult, very very difficult, who to vote for in terms of 1,2 and 3. I can never make up my mind which order I will vote for Jerry Buttimer, Deirdre Clune or Simon Coveney. I was tempted to put Simon at number 1, but I reckon that a lot of people who want to vote FG will vote for him, so I think I'll put either Jerry Buttimer or Deirdre Clune first, and the other one second. My reason for this is because of PR system of voting. It would be very bad for say Simon to get 30% of the vote and Fine Gael only getting 1 seat, which is what would happen if everyone supporting FG only voted for him. If people transfer properly 30% will get a party 2 seats. Simon will probably get my third preference for this reason.
    Ciarán Lynch(Labour) will be fourth, and Dan Boyle(Green) will be fifth, and that will be it.

Minihan is only interested in Minihan. Not in to the whole party loyalty thing at all. Cremin, well he is a Shinner, need I say more?
    I hope people like Ted Neville get the 1 vote a candidate is guaranteed(their own). I hate political correctness, like you cant have a chairman anymore, it has to be a chairperson ffs. Or a black coffee? nope its a coffee without milk these days. But I hate muppets like that who choose to blame foreigners for all our woes even more so. I think that that is morally wrong.

Michael Mc Grath is Feel and Fail at its worst. He also has the solutions to all the problems that FF+PDs failed to solve in the past 10 years. That would explain why hes been able to sent no less than 3 leaflets about what he would do if elected.

E92 wrote:
    snip
    That's a lie, and a slanderous lie at that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Doesn't really matter who you vote. Improvements only really happen if your local TD manages to be given a ministerial position. Nyeh Mr Tayto is probably the vote for the dissatisfied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Have edited my original post re same. I apologise unreservedly for the comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Registered Users Posts: 10,957 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I don't know the order yet, but i will be giving my top 4:

Coveney (FG)
    Clune (FG)
    Boyle (Green)
    Lynch (Lab)

Would have voted for Buttimer but my brother said he was a right old bastard to him cos he found out his friends who were with him were only 17 so he just ignored them and walked off (despite my brother being 18 and wanting to talk to him)

Won't be giving the wacko independents a vote, nor the sinners... Might give the Fianna Fáilers a sympathy vote but probably won't touch PD man either...

If I had to pick one of the FG I'd take Buttimer over Clune. Even on the FG website all they can say about her is her family history. She's poor Councillor material not a TD.

Cmon Ned 78, Back up the truck a little as george hook would say, If someone wants to speak up for immigration control, then they have a right to with out you making it out that maybe its racist to do so. Let's not go all politically correct just because you have gone a bit exotic and got a foreign girlfriend

Sorry Marcc, but it's got nothing to do with being OTT. Ted Neville is about closing borders completely, and going against everything the EU stands for, not about immigration control.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

I've been doing a lot of canvassing for FG - and I may add "very proudly" for Deirdre Clune. So please look at her website - www.deirdreclune.com - you will see how active she has been in the past and continues to be when it comes to local/national issues - and please take note of the press releases. J

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

daveirl wrote:

my dad said exactly the same....
    i saw him over my road the other day in a nice flash car driving into his nice house.

• Advertisement

Judes wrote:
    I've been doing a lot of canvassing for FG - and I may add "very proudly" for Deirdre Clune. So please look at her website - www.deirdreclune.com - you will see how active she has been in the past and continues to be when it comes to local/national issues - and please take note of the press releases. J

Absolutely not, I'd vote for Morgan Stack first!

Advertisement