Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Candidates Election 2007

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Kazbah wrote:
    Tell me about Michael McGrath? He's so young, first elected at 22! His policy is 9/11 investigation and on mycandiate.ie it says he's on the dole?

What as, class rep?

FG won't get my vote as I don't think two millionaires who have never truly worked should get my vote. Buttimer won't get it because he's never been around these parts and FG in general are a complete shambles.

FF definitely won't get it.

The PDs can kindly go rot.

I'm like Dave in that it is the lesser of evils but from the other side of that invisible left/right line. But what a choice:

Were the Greens in Govt with FF they'd be a better watchdog than Labour, but having stupid views on fluoride, the measles shot and a few other hippy gems, can they be taken seriously? On the plus, in Dublin, their people were the only ones to send back cheques to the developers, all other parties accepted them.

Labour are losing some of their liberal roots but still have some fine policies too such as state funding for parties based on the number of women in your party. Their policy on communications is the best of a bad lot and they seem to be finally getting to realise that people don't like paying high taxes to fund wasteful services. I just wish they were a bit more pro-business and more into reforming the civil service.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

QUOTE FROM DAMIEN - "FG won't get my vote as I don't think two millionaires who have never truly worked should get my vote".

Don't you think that's a totally ridiculous statement - you are referring to two extremely hard working politicians. If you sat in either of their offices for a couple of days and saw/heard what they do - you would retract that statement.

Really people - the slagging must stop - by all means promote a politician you believe in - but don't tarnish the others, when you don't know what they do.

A healthy debate on a subject is always welcome - but we're talking about the future of this country - and we can't be blasé about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Judes wrote:
    Don't you think that's a totally ridiculous statement

No - it's a well crafted statement reflecting choice in a democracy.

Personally I've no idea who to vote for. The only politician I've seen around is Michael Ahern - who chatted to me personally last week, then wrote to me saying that he'd bring my concerns up at the relevant levels.
    I'd rather not vote FF though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Ned 78, Maybe Ted's view is extreme but he has a point of view that is resonating with people who feel that a 10% increase in our population due to NON - national immigration in 3 or so yrs is a bit much. Ireland benefits from immigration in so many ways but there is a need to let people get used to the different cultures. You would advocate a laissez faire approach to open borders, which brings other problems such as the exporting of organised crime. Our borders need to be secure, at the moment they are not and maybe ted will focus peoples minds on our own security. Why I raise this is I hate the "jump on" attitude of people when immigration is mentioned. We need a debate on immigration but it won't happen when people like you shout down the other point of view. It is a legitimate right of any nation to have control over our borders.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

damien.m wrote:
    What as, class rep?

Passage West Council I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Marcc wrote:
    Ned 78, Maybe Ted's view is extreme but he has a point of view that is resonating with people who feel that a 10% increase in our population due to NON - national immigration in 3 or so yrs is a bit much.

It happens in most developed worlds. Just because Agnus and Seamus can't get used to all 'dem foreigners' doesn't mean it's a bad thing.
    Marcc wrote:
    Ireland benefits from immigration in so many ways but there is a need to let people get used to the different cultures.

How do we do that then? Do we sent out a letter to every house in the country asking "Are you used to all the foreigners yet? Tick a for yes, b for no", and as soon as 1 negative comes in, we close the doors again? That's an oversimplistic solution to the simple fact that a tiny majority of Irish people can't get used to seeing other creeds and nations sharing our streets and houses.

Marcc wrote:
    You would advocate a laissez faire approach to open borders, which brings other problems such as the exporting of organised crime. Our borders need to be secure, at the moment they are not and maybe ted will focus peoples minds on our own security.

My attitude towards open borders is steadfast in the case of European people come here, to work in our European country. Ted, nor you, nor anyone else has the right to tell an EU citzen to go home. Nor do you have the statistics, or proof to link a rise in overseas EU citzens relocating here to organised crime.
    Marcc wrote:
    Why I raise this is I hate the "jump on" attitude of people when immigration is mentioned. We need a debate on immigration but it won't happen when people like you shout down the other point of view.

We need debate on non-EU immigrants. People 'like me' are pro EU, which is a situation that has given our country economic prosperity, cultural diversity, and a new found sense of self worth.
    Marcc wrote:
    It is a legitimate right of any nation to have control over our borders.

In a European Union, with European citizens coming to our country, no it isn't our right. It is however our right to travel to other EU countries and work there. Or would you have the UK close it's border to Irish people too, because there's too many of us there taking all the jobs?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I think some people are forgeting a few things.

One is that no Party is compatible with one person. Unless you are a reall die hard you will find faults with our their policies and general outlooks. What one must do is findout what the prorities you have in personally be it crime ,health etc. Then you find out what party you think will actually do something about it.

True in this election almost all the policies are the same but we had 10 years od FF/PD and 6 FF in the north and south central areas yet cork was being safted left right and centre.

My prority is for the country to look out side the east coast and try and develop the rest of the country so that this will attract private outside investment especially R&D. All the money is going to the greater dublin region, while some of it is needed most of it is just there to try and patch up some of the **** ups of the past. If jobs were created equally around the country then the dubs wouldnt be complaining of such cronic traffic problems.... catch 22.

My vote is going Labour/FG. I think its time we had a Taoiseach from outside Leinster. Actually when was the last time we had a Taoiseach from outside Lenister?? Im thinking Jack Lynch!? If thats true then a west of Ireland Taoiseach would be more then welcome!

1)Lynch
    2)Buttimer
    3)Boyle

My No1 would go the coveney but he wont need my vote. Clune seems a bit fake to me so not going to vote for her unless she really really needs it. Im trying to look at the big picture.

Oh and I really really really hope that the good people of cork Retire John Dennehy. He has THE highest expenses of all the TDs yet only attended the Dail 4 times since 2004. What the **** is he doing!?!? Robing the tax payer.....

Ned Ned Ned, Please don't make me be condescending to you but you are doing it again.... and proving my point about some zealots who support open immigration policy ramming their point of view down the ordinary agnes and seamus's throat. You seem to dismiss their legitimate point of view. People who don't like to be served by a surly latvian in their local spar can put up and shut up is your point of view. I'm confident in my nationality and my culture and my country to know that EU citizens arriving to work and contribute in our society is a good thing and will not diminish my Irishness so I don't have very strong views on EU immigration but I can question if a policy is right or wrong. Your replies make me want to stand up and give an opposite view because you seem to think you have the right point of view. Grow up there are many shades of opinion in this country and if they want to question people's support for immigration let them. GROW up. That the end of this discusssion. Because I see that you won't accept anyone else's opinion. That's a dangerous character flaw. C U

• Advertisement

Marcc wrote:
    Ned Ned Ned, Please don't make me be condescending to you but you are doing it again

Unfortunately, I'm not doing anything. I'm pointing out weak points in your arguments, and doing so impersonally. You however, are determined to make it personal, which is against the Charter.
    Marcc wrote:
    .... and proving my point about some zealots who support open immigration policy ramming their point of view down the ordinary agnes and seamus's throat.

Of course I support it. It's the law, and it's also EU Law. No one is ramming it down anyone's throat either by the way, we've been EU members for a long long time now.
    Marcc wrote:
    You seem to dismiss their legitimate point of view.

Because it's not legitimate.
    Marcc wrote:
    People who don't like to be served by a surly latvian in their local spar can put up and shut up is your point of view.

Well, if an EU member of staff is working in the local Spar, and people get in a huff because they're not Irish, is that not a form of racism? My point of view is the same as I keep having to repeat - an EU citizen is entitled to live and work here.
    Marcc wrote:
    I'm confident in my nationality and my culture and my country to know that EU citizens arriving to work and contribute in our society is a good thing and will not diminish my Irishness so I don't have very strong views on EU immigration

So why are you arguing the point? You're obviously an intelligent person, and you can recognise the benefits, yet you support the illegal manifesto being proposed by Ted Neville? It's either black or white, no in between.
    Marcc wrote:
    but I can question if a policy is right or wrong. Your replies make me want to stand up and give an opposite view because you seem to think you have the right point of view.

Well, when the law is on my side, I guess I'm right.
    Marcc wrote:
    Grow up there are many shades of opinion in this country and if they want to question people's support for immigration let them. GROW up. That the end of this discusssion. Because I see that you won't accept anyone else's opinion. That's a dangerous character flaw. C U

First of all, this is an open debate Forum, so it's not for you to tell me when the discussion is over. It's also not for you to tell me to 'Grow up' and I've reported your post as a result of your inability to keep the debate on topic, without resorting to personal insults. I will accept anyone's opinion as long as it has a valid grounding, I have a very open mind. I'll also thank you not to assume I have psychological defects - it's a very immature stance to take, and proves you have nothing worthwhile to contribute to this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Judes wrote:
    I've been doing a lot of canvassing for FG - and I may add "very proudly" for Deirdre Clune. So please look at her website - www.deirdreclune.com - you will see how active she has been in the past and continues to be when it comes to local/national issues - and please take note of the press releases. J
    I agree. People are far too eager to hop on to the anti-Clune bandwagon simply because she has a rich father.

Jerry Buttimer's campaign smacks of oppurtunism and false promises.

Deidre Clune has done a lot of very positive work around my area of Blackrock, she sends regular newsletters with details of new traffic lights, speed calming measures, and listens to residents about parking, etc. She actually gets up off her posterior and works for a living, despite what people say. She still won't get my #1 though, but only due to personal reasons.

Judes wrote:
    Don't you think that's a totally ridiculous statement - you are referring to two extremely hard working politicians. If you sat in either of their offices for a couple of days and saw/heard what they do - you would retract that statement.

I'm sure there's a lot of activity in every election candidate's office at the moment. There's an election on I hear. Everyone can work hard at times. Do they spend a lot of time working hard in their offices or is it their people? If they spend a lot of time in their offices all the time, do they spend any time in their constituencies meeting the people they represent? I'm sure photo ops and charity balls are quite taxing.
    Really people - the slagging must stop - by all means promote a politician you believe in - but don't tarnish the others, when you don't know what they do.

Free speech is a bit of a fcker isn't it? How about stopping the blind idealism and inability to realise that people have rational reasons for not liking someone you are obsessed with? How about respecting the fact that people can pick who they want to represent them and pick who they don't want to represent them? Oh and you assume that I don't know what they do. Why do you assume that, because I have a different view of them than you do?
    A healthy debate on a subject is always welcome - but we're talking about the future of this country - and we can't be blasé about it!

But apparently hyperbole and dramatics are allowed. Should we think about the children next?

It's like this. I think most people in this thread realise how democracy works and if people are of the opinion that they think a candidate is a spoilt rich kid taking their family's "rightful place" in the Dáil, then let them have that opinion. I think it is quite insulting to people who vote if you declare they are being blasé about democracy. Cut the hysterics.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Anyone on the north side like to run me through the candidates? Am registered in North Central this time around and I'm looking around me at a sea of left wing candidates and feeling very very lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Damien - there are 52 weeks in the year and for several "years" I've been in/out of various candidates offices, as any member of the public can, if making an appointment to discuss an issue - and believe me they do work hard!!! So it very unfair to say they only work hard when it's election time. I'll say no more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

nesf wrote:
    Anyone on the north side like to run me through the candidates? Am registered in North Central this time around and I'm looking around me at a sea of left wing candidates and feeling very very lost.

Well if you're voting Fianna Fáil, I would definitely vote Billy Kelleher over Noel O'Flynn. Kelleher is quite a good TD (for a FFer anyway :) ). He's certainly very responsive to any communication. Noel O'Flynn is a master of the controversy vote. He jumped to the top of the polls last election by calling asylum seekers "spongers and freeloaders" just before the election. I hear he's expected to lose his seat this time round.

The two FG candidates are decent enough as well I think. I'd certainly have more confidence voting for them than the Dublin FG candidates(who won't be getting my votes).

Stephen Saleh's a "wtf?" character in my book.

Ted Tynan's a neighbour of mine and a nice chap but is unlikely to ever garner more than the sympathy vote.

Looks like a different Green Party candidate this time round, this one looks old enough to drink :) I think he's fairly OK, he's a sitting councillor atm.

Kathleen Lynch is the sitting TD for Labour, don't remember much about her. mycandidate.ie lists her main priorities as the price of concert tickets and hidden charges on airline tickets, which probably says it all :)

Stark wrote:
    Stephen Saleh's a "wtf?" character in my book.

I think his tactic is "Vote for me, your local skinhead".

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭douglasman

Kazbah wrote:
    Only Irish citizens are entitled to vote in General Elections.

Not so ! There is a reciprocal agreement with Britain so that the Irish over there can vote and stand for elections, so British people living here get to do the same.

Who is eligible to vote in elections and referenda?
    Irish citizens can vote in every election and referendum
    British citizens may vote at Dáil, European and local elections
    Other EU citizens may vote at European and local elections
    Non-EU citizens can vote at local elections only

ned78 wrote:
    Deidre Clune has done a lot of very positive work around my area of Blackrock, she sends regular newsletters with details of new traffic lights, speed calming measures, and listens to residents about parking, etc. She actually gets up off her posterior and works for a living, despite what people say. She still won't get my #1 though, but only due to personal reasons.

I tried to contact Deirdre Clune directly around September several times regarding City Council issues and couldn't get through. I left her detailed messages and she never returned my call. She lost my vote and that of my family. I had been supporting her but that coupled with my exposure to her as Lord Mayor changed my mind pronto!

• Advertisement

I haven't had FF yet. I'm waiting to let rip about how they're ruining the Motoring Culture in Ireland, and that to be a car enthusiast now is almost politically incorrect, and even though it won't change a thing, have a go at them about VRT, Road Tax prices in some cases almost 1000% more than the UK, lack of infrastructure, etc.

I've had none just some sorry I missed you cards. There is no vote registered at the house I live in though. My vote is at my parents house in the same constituency.

ned78 wrote:
    I haven't had FF yet. I'm waiting to let rip about how they're ruining the Motoring Culture in Ireland, and that to be a car enthusiast now is almost politically incorrect, and even though it won't change a thing, have a go at them about VRT, Road Tax prices in some cases almost 1000% more than the UK, lack of infrastructure, etc.
    I don't understand. We've had all those things since before FF were in government.

Exactly. They've done bugger all about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,957 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

We've been canvassed once, middle of the day, my mother was at home, Deirdre Clune's brother called... Only stayed for a minute, said to give her a vote anywhere, cos she only lost by a 100 votes or something...

I'm kinda surprised that nobody else has called yet, they're cutting it a bit late...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭mentalson

Deirdre Clune called around our estate one evening last week .
    A few days later we all got a letter saying that she would be taking action to ensure that we got the bollards on the footpaths that we were looking for.

The thing is noone I know in the estate had ever thought of or requested bollards on the footpath and all our neighbours are totally perplexed as to what they would be for. Obviously someone in the estate had the idea but nobody knows who he/she is or why they want them.

Did anyone catch Simon Coveney on Questions and Answers last night? He got badly savaged by Brian Cowan, heard him again on the radio this morning debating with Dermot Ahern and the same thing happened.

What are Fine Gael thinking putting him on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

mentalson wrote:
    The thing is noone I know in the estate had ever thought of or requested bollards on the footpath and all our neighbours are totally perplexed as to what they would be for. Obviously someone in the estate had the idea but nobody knows who he/she is or why they want them.

It was me. I thought it would be fun to watch blind people trip over them.

Advertisement