Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PD's Communications Manifesto [Long post warning]

Options
  • 12-05-2007 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭

• Guarantee a state-of-the-art communications network, driven by competition, to which all playersin the market have equal access.

• Fund nationwide broadband coverage.

Woah there lads, information overload!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

There's no competition if there's only one state of the art communications network!!! The opportunities to provide competition must be provided by the state wherever possible. Lead by example stuff. If the govt has to pay for more ESB fibre for example, then so be it.

It's a rather arrogant paragraph, if I can call it that. Implicitly, it says that comms in this country is effectively brilliant and that there is not much more to do. They just put in those comments to fill the blank. Thank christ there are no PDs in Louth to pester the county with drivel like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

As I understand it, there's a massive degree of under utilization of existing fibre in Ireland. I'm not too sure laying down more is going to solve anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

It's not in the right places I understand. Is there any nationally-owned fibre running near Kiltimagh in Co. Mayo for example?

Laying more fibre to unserved areas in the border region especially will solve a lot of problems. Some rural parts in this country are much better served than other parts. Also, the ESB needs to offer a lot more connection points along its figure of 8 network, but that's not really on the topic of this thread so I'm not discussing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

The PD's are in favour of lack of regulation on the assumption that competition will lead to improvements in service however we have a monopoly based on the current government so their ideas on the matter are irrelevant.

How do the PD's propose to destroy the monopoly which is causing the problem. Anything else is a temporary solution.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Boston wrote:
    As I understand it, there's a massive degree of under utilization of existing fibre in Ireland. I'm not too sure laying down more is going to solve anything.
    Yes we have a lot of dark fibre. Even if this could be used the problem in most areas is the last mile.

• Advertisement
Advertisement