Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Changing network?

• 12-05-2007 6:13pm

My brother has a Sony Ericcson phone with a Vodafone number/sim. Phone got dropped and is now a little faulty. At Christmas he got a present of a Nokia O2 phone.

Any way he could use the xmas phone and keep his number? Could he ring Vodafone to ask to change to O2 and then move the vodafone sim to the o2 phone?

I suppose the only other option is to get the Nokia o2 unlocked and put the vodafone sim in.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

yes he can move to o2 but not by ringing vodafone :)

he'll have to go to an o2 store to move to o2. they'll give him a new o2 sim with his number on it.

or as you say you can get it unlocked if he doesn't want to move. what model is the phone?

Thanks for the reply
    he'll have to go to an o2 store to move to o2. they'll give him a new o2 sim with his number on it.

Would there be a charge for this?

or as you say you can get it unlocked if he doesn't want to move. what model is the phone?

I don't know at the moment....I'll post back when I get the info!

Would there be a charge for this?
    you have to buy a sim card for €13 but you get €25 credit when you register it.

I don't know at the moment....I'll post back when I get the info!
    do because i can probably unlock it for you depending on the model

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

not sure if you need to buy a new sim card even, you might be able to port it over to the existing sim in the nokia phone ( as i assume it wasnt an upgrade or bill/unlocked phone ).

If the phone was actually an upgrade ( meaning no sim card and locked to O2 ) then yes either buy a new O2 sim, and port the number over or unlock the nokia phone and use your vodafone sim

Also, what nokia is it, if its a certain type then the only way to unlock it is by getting O2 to do it for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭drdre

JNive wrote:
    not sure if you need to buy a new sim card even, you might be able to port it over to the existing sim in the nokia phone ( as i assume it wasnt an upgrade or bill/unlocked phone ).

If the phone was actually an upgrade ( meaning no sim card and locked to O2 ) then yes either buy a new O2 sim, and port the number over or unlock the nokia phone and use your vodafone sim

Also, what nokia is it, if its a certain type then the only way to unlock it is by getting O2 to do it for you

you do need to get a new sim card from the new network and throw the old one away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

so they only perform number porting at the time of purchase of a sim, what a load of bollocks roflmao :-) that means the shop you buy the SIM card in make money off O2 porting your number basically lol, since the shops get the SIM cards for free and when they sell one pay O2 about EUR4 i think for it, meaning most of the money goes to the retailer, lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭drdre

JNive wrote:
    so they only perform number porting at the time of purchase of a sim, what a load of bollocks roflmao :-) that means the shop you buy the SIM card in make money off O2 porting your number basically lol, since the shops get the SIM cards for free and when they sell one pay O2 about EUR4 i think for it, meaning most of the money goes to the retailer, lol

Retailers have to buy sim cards from the distributors.As far as i know its not free. But when you port you have to get a new sim card because how can you have a o2 sim card when you are actually on vodafone :rolleyes:

JNive wrote:

1. you have to get a sim because you can't be on the o2 network if you have a vodafone sim. its not just a matter of giving o2 the number

2. the shops don't get the sim cards for free and even if they did there's still shipping and handling costs to factor in. they're paid for just like any other stock item.

3. they're shops. they're not in the habit of giving out free stuff. none of the networks just give out sim cards for free.

4. if they did people would come in and ask for hundreds of them, especially if there was free credit on them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

It's free to port to O2 prepay from another network - you don't have to pay for the SIM.

ciaranfo wrote:
    It's free to port to O2 prepay from another network - you don't have to pay for the SIM.
    since when? do you use a replacement sim for it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

There's special porting packs!

Advertisement