Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Real thread-what brand of coffee do you like best?

Options
  • 12-05-2007 7:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭

I get Cuban stuff from a shop in Sligo, afaik its just called cuban. Nice and dark, strong coffee with nothing added. Lovely stuff.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Usually Boaters from the local Julian Graeves, or Bewleys if I can't find that. But now I have no excuse to not try some new stuff \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Arabian Mocha Java, imported from Peets in the US.
    It's great from the filter or as an espresso.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭Blisterman

At the moment I'm drinking Machu Piccu. I think it's from Tesco. Lovely stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

Maxwell house blue label. Brewed coffee is just not hot enough......ill drink it but give me instant anyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

I like lavazza, the type that comes in the black box.
    Yesterday, I drank four cups of coffee while studying. It makes you more alert, but it doesn't make you smarter.
    <sigh>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I quite like Lavazza, either rosso or oro. Tesco used to do a nice espresso in a brown bag, but they appear to have discontinued it!

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Dero

I love Palombini coffee. Dolce Italia especially. Super Crema is nice too though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I REALLY can't drink instant. And I'm an espresso man drinking
    about 10 a day.

Preferably I'll grind my own beans which I'll pick up from somewhere
    like: http://www.ristrettocoffee.com/home.asp
    or
    some Cubita from http://www.cubascoffee.com

The best mass produced pre-ground I've come across is Illy's range
    and it produces a half decent crema.

(Lavazza preground is too coarse for the Gaggia but was fine
    in the Bialetti moka pots back in my student days)

Next step for me will be home roasting my own beans ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Oh cubita! that's the stuff I like. great coffee imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭curiosity

I usually get Tesco's French roast, or Italian otherwise. It's good strong stuff and not too painful on the pocket. I only have one cup (mug?) in the morning so I'd rarely have two bags on the go at once, would take too long to use a packet. Thus I tend to stick to what I like:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I REALLY can't drink instant.
    Yeah I can't go back to instant either.
    I was introduced to a nice little espresso maker last year... I just put whatever ground coffee I can find through it and haven't looked back.

RE: Brands... I just buy whatever looks/sounds/smells interesting... I like trying new kinds when ever possible.

Mmmm, think I'll make another one now :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

what shop in sligo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Cosgroves on High street, you know it? does all sorts of fantastic gourmet and odd stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

I usually drink Nescafé Gold Blend

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Lavazza Rosso. i find it produces a nice expresso. I do like a quite bitter espresso though. I find illy quite good, but no the best as an italian friend of mine insists. Palombini is superb though, its just not available in many places, if I'm in town I try to remember to get some in the Epicurean food hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Palombini is quite nice. Don't particularly like Illy for some reason, even though it seems to be considered one of the best.

The most annoying thing is buying a new coffee and finding that it's ground too coarsely for my machine. When that happens it's time to pull out the Bialetti.

I love going to Spain and Italy and picking up different bricks of coffee to try at home. A lot can be mucky but it's fun trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

My favourite is M&S Christmas Coffee... it's lovely and tasty, not bland like some of the others.

However I'm equally happy with good instant (Nescafe, can't stand Maxwell House).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Dudara - take the plunge and get yourself a decent grinder it's as important
    as getting a decent machine and well worth the investment.

I totally hear you about the joy of picking up coffee on your travels -
    I 've had great fun travelling back from S. America with kilos of coffee
    in my bags, caused some confusion when it showed up on the x-ray
    as they were convinced it was some narcotic!

If you grind your own it's easier to get a grind that suits your machine
    meaning you can just pick up the beans. Plus you get a much better flavour
    and the coffee remains fresh longer in bean form, less chance of the vital
    coffee oils drying up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I bought some italian espresso in superquinn once. In a round black tin, can't remember the name, but it had a kind of hologram on the tin. Anyway, it way ground too finely, clogged up the filter, took forever for the coffee to come out, and it tasted like muck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 jimmytwo

Normally buy my beans from http://www.ristrettocoffee.com - 1st class quality and service (also bought my espresso machine and grinder from them)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

Nothing is better than sitting on a roof top in Guatemala with some fresh brewed Guatemalan coffee.

Orrr when at home, a Tim Hortons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

I won't let anything other than a freshly dropped cup of Kopi Luwak pass my lips :D

kopiluwakGETTY141004_450x350.jp

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

My fav. has to be http://www.illy.com/home.htm

I travel alot in France and Belgium so easily got over there and makes me smile when I see this outside a cafe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

Oh cubita! that's the stuff I like. great coffee imo.

Got some of it today, excellent stuff :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭Blisterman

BendiBus wrote:
    I won't let anything other than a freshly dropped cup of Kopi Luwak pass my lips :D

I saw that for sale in a shop in London a few months ago. Would be curious to try it, but it was £20 for a tiny pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

BendiBus wrote:

Are You kidding? You drink coffee thats already been passed through an animals digestive tract and lived to tell the tale? I'm no vegetarian or anything but there is something not quite right about that! Then they have the cheek to overcharge you on the stuff. Ah no, each to their own but wouldn't be my cup of tea (or coffee) :)

Advertisement