Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scam alert: Email sales enquiries

Options
  • 12-05-2007 7:35pm
    Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭

Im used to getting scam emails, but a new type has been arriving in my inbox, and I thought I should mention it here. It would mainly concern people who are in sales.

The emails are variations of the following:
    Dear Sir

I'm from Indonesia and i want to order some product from your store.
    Did you accept an international order? Also can i pay my order with my
    Visa or Mastercard and last, what shipping agent that have for
    shipping your product? Hope hear from you soon. So i can send my
    detail order list.

Best Regard
    Setiawan

I havent replied to any and Im not quite sure how the scam would work, but I know its not genuine as Ive had about 10 identical emails all supposedly from different people in Indonesia and other countries:rolleyes:
    Its a change from the usual 419 type, and on first reading seems valid (I sell online and on ebay so it wouldnt be unusual to get mail from abroad), I just wanted to warn anyone who gets one not to get sucked into whatever these guys are at.

Edit... mod if this needs moving to online selling... apologies, and please do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

its an interesting approach he is using for sure..
    would you not reply to him and drag the conversation a bit further so you can find out how it works?

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭rgfuller

It's a stolen credit card scam:
    http://www.slack.com/scam.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Archeron

I got this a lot in my last job. These mails came from the far east (mine were mostly from Hong Kong and Taiwan) and they would be trying to buy product via credit card. The guys doing it knew there stuff too, as they were trying to buy really specific and unusual telecoms equipment.
    I went through the procedure as normal with prepping pro forma invoices and what have you (it was not unusual for us to sell equipment to places such as this, as we had a global customer base), and at the point where he gave me card details, then it fell down.

Essentially, I think they use stolen cards, as the value of the transaction was about US$9000. When it failed on the first attempt, he gave me two new cards to break payment over, and then one of THOSE failed. This guy gave me his address as being the registered owner of the cards. When I got suspicious, I contacted our companies bank who put me through to a credit card checking facility. For £2 sterling a pop, you can give them the card number, and the name/address that you;ve been given, and they will tell you whether that card is actually registered to that address. In all 4 cases where I provided details, it turns out they were using stolen cards.
    I'm not sure of the number for this checking facility, as i was put through from other bank departments, and didnt dial in to them myself, but I'm sure if you contact your own bank, they should offer the same service.

Advertisement