Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aiste, sceal, Diospoireacht/oraid no alt?

Options
  • 12-05-2007 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭

What are you hoping to do on the irish paper? Aiste, sceal, Diospoireacht no alt?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Scéal ftw.

Our teacher gives us nothing but aistí to prepare/do as homework, I hate them although I usually get between 80 and 90 for them, yet I did a scéal in the mocks and got 88. I like scéalta much more, and the titles are so broad, like in the mocks the title was "Díoltas".

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

What are you hoping to do on the irish paper? Aiste, sceal, Diospoireacht no alt?
    Aiste, a debate or a speech.They all belong to the same family.As our teacher says you just adjust the same basic essay to fit into whatever one you are doing..like you stick in debate openings and phrases but write your normal essay.The sceal and the alt can be dodgy.Hard to get good marks in those unless you're VERY good-otherwise it looks just like a very good junior cert attempt apparently..which is no good for the leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Scéal ftw.

Our teacher gives us nothing but aistí to prepare/do as homework, I hate them although I usually get between 80 and 90 for them, yet I did a scéal in the mocks and got 88. I like scéil much more, and the titles are so broad, like in the mocks the title was "Díoltas".
    That was a nice title.........what kind of length did you get into it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Scéil = Dodgy, according to our teacher and some correctors anyway. Apparently very hard to score highly in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Aiste or Alt if (if the subjects ok), otherwise scéal.

• Advertisement

lemansky wrote:
    That was a nice title.........what kind of length did you get into it?
    5 pages, a good bit of dialogue increased the length.
    obl wrote:
    Scéil = Dodgy, according to our teacher and some correctors anyway. Apparently very hard to score highly in.
    Yeah, but I have the advantage of being in an all Irish school and I'm quite good at writing stories anyway. Teachers warn against it on the basis that it's easier to learn off points for topical essays than to write creatively. I'm going to write the story in English too.

20/20 for ábhar in my mock :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Im only looking for a pass tbh. Irish is one of my weak subjects and almost definitely won't be any use for my points. Ill probably stick with a sceal unless Im 100% sure what the aiste titles mean. Also need to look over the seanfhocail again since theyre also a sceal title!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Aiste for myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Whim

According to my very experienced teacher, the titles make no difference. You can give a speech about social problems under "Scéal" and it's marked the same. He says he doesn't understand why they have the different titles and that it would make much more sense to give ten titles and you're on your own.

In terms of length, two pages is minimum and three is maximum. You're not going to lose marks for going on longer but there's no point.

And this is a man who knows what he's saying. Every year people with terrible Irish (like me) end up with B's and C's in honours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 mongo19

howya, is there any chance that somebody would kindly post the opening few lines of a speech or a debate! i am of the opinion that they are very much similar to that of the aiste and will prob. do one if im stuck for ideas!! cheers:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I hate the way it's marked 80% for correctness of Irish, and the rest for the content. I always get pulled on the T.G but only very occassionally now for séimhiú's and urú's, whereas my content is good, varied and eh, flows...

I want the Aiste, or Díospoireacht, maybe the speech. No way the alt or scéal..

I hate the way it's marked 80% for correctness of Irish, and the rest for the content. I always get pulled on the T.G but only very occassionally now for séimhiú's and urú's, whereas my content is good, varied and eh, flows...
    It's not 80% for correctness of Irish. It's:
    40% - correctness
    40% - quality of language
    20% - content

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

mongo19 wrote:
    howya, is there any chance that somebody would kindly post the opening few lines of a speech or a debate! i am of the opinion that they are very much similar to that of the aiste and will prob. do one if im stuck for ideas!! cheers:D
    A chathaoirligh, a mholtoirí agus a lucht feachana, tá mise anseo inniu chun píosa chainte a dheanamh ar...

Now, god knows there's probably ****loads of spelling and grammar mistakes in there but that'd be a general gist. I'm way better at speaking Irish than writing it...

A chathaoirligh, a mholtoirí agus a lucht feachana, tá mise anseo inniu chun píosa chainte a dheanamh ar...

How about:
    A chathaoirligh, a mholtoirí, a lucht a fhreasúra agus a cairde go leir, tá mise anseo inniú chun píosa chainte a dheanamh ar...

That way you've got the opposition in there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 eimear89

Anything but the scéal. I don't really mind whether it's the aiste or diopoireacht. Ideally I'd like the diopoireacht because you can fill a page by just doing the introduction and the ending

ZorbaTehZ wrote:
    How about:
    A chathaoirligh, a mholtoirí, a lucht a fhreasúra agus a cairde go leir, tá mise anseo inniú chun píosa chainte a dheanamh ar...

"a chairde" ;)

You might be FRC, but I'm not. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

ZorbaTehZ wrote:
    How about:

True. Depends on if you're doing a speech or debate. I was in a speech competition thingy last year so I know that start off by heart at this stage...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

Excuse my ignorance but why are you referring to more than one chairperson?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

cocoa wrote:
    Excuse my ignorance but why are you referring to more than one chairperson?

You're excused;)

No only messing...I was wondering about that as well.

• Advertisement

howtocheatintheleavingcert.com
    LMAO, it's actually a site.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

JC 2K3 wrote:
    LMAO, it's actually a site.....

XD

Thats brilliant. And they expect you to pay up for their secritz!

Advertisement