Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coffee fans - How do you brew yours?

Options
  • 12-05-2007 7:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭

So coffee fans, how do you brew yours?

Brew-ha-ha? 55 votes

Instant
    0% 0 votes
    French Press
    10% 6 votes
    Percolate
    43% 24 votes
    Espresso
    14% 8 votes
    Machine made
    30% 17 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Nordie

Perculated, straight, good and strong. XXXexpresso

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Work at starbucks so usually getting mine straight outta the ol verisimo . Been made coffee master so gonna be going deep into this coffee buisness, wish my head luck :S.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

it depends on the coffee and the time of the day.
    I have a nice filter machine for the mornings, and espresso/mokas for the afternoon. I'm not a fan of presses at all for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Press, cause its all I can afford.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Dero

Always brewed as espresso, usually consumed black, as americano, sometimes as espresso. Never make cappuccino/latte/macchiato or other milky coffees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

We have a nice pressurised little espresso maker, Morphy Richards I think.

Works a charm. Espressos mainly, but sometimes I froth some milk for a milky coffee in the afternoon/evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Instant ftw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Espresso from a Gaggia made with freshly ground beans

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I drink machine made in the morning, set the timer the night before so it's ready to go.

I perculate during the day

The expresso maker normally gets a whizz during the day too. If i hadn't already voted I'd be looking for an 'All of the above' option in that poll :D

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭curiosity

A few words in defence of the humble french press; small, cheap, easy to use, perfect for a solo 1 cup a day person. Had a percolator years ago and it wasn't half as nice. Not saying I'm against the expensive coffee-makers, but at mo I don't see the point. Am I a philistine?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

Machine ftw, I can't stop drinking coffee since we got it!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Italian stovetop pot. I'm surprised it is not a poll option.

Normally served black, but the best coffee I've ever had was in Cafe Zentrum in Vienna, black with a touch of cream.

I'm tempted to start grinding beans, but it seems like more effort than it's worth.

I also quite like those insomnia machines that they have in spar shops for some strange reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭Tchocky

Italian stovetop pot.

Yup, burnt my fingers on it the other morning. I should be more alert when using it, more....caffeinated

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Yeah stovetop moka should be added to the list. Great things for someone who likes strong coffee but doesn't want to invest in an espresso machine.

Personally I have a Gaggia Cubika espresso machine, 99.9% of the time I use that. I have a french press and a Bialetti Moka as well, they rarely get taken out of the press these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

pop some espresso roast beans in the MDF grinder

bzzzz, bzzzz

tamp into the filter with the trusty Reg Barber tamper

whack the filter into the 'ol Gaggia Classic

whirr, rattle, pour and hey presto! - espresso doppio

rinse and repeat at regular intervals :)

(few things in life give me as much pelasure)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

curiosity wrote:
    A few words in defence of the humble french press; small, cheap, easy to use, perfect for a solo 1 cup a day person.
    Hear, hear! I use a French press too and love it :) I will probably invest in a machine one day but right now there's no point.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Cardinal

At home, I use a french press, because it's all I have. I'd love to get on of those stove top fountain percolators though.

At work I use the traditional Iberital espresso machine for Lattés, Cappuchinos and espressos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Usually use a French Press myself, as I'm the only one who drinks anything but instant.
    Italian stovetop pot. I'm surprised it is not a poll option.
    :o I usually don't come across these, so it completely slipped my mind to include it...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

caffettiera.png
    You can't beat a caffitere preferrably in the shape of the original Moka Express.

I found a half cup one that makes one expresso cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

A sort-of french press, at least until the percolator jug gets replaced.

scafehms.jpg

Add grounds, hot water, leave stand for five mins, plunge, add milk, drink.
    Handy, especially if there aren't many coffee drinkers in the office - means you don't have to clean an entire machine for one cup of coffee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

French press and a grinder for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 jimmytwo

Espresso machine and vacuum pot for me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

My wee Bialetti on top of the gas cooker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

olaola wrote:
    My wee Bialetti on top of the gas cooker.
    i concur...the best,but in my case on top of an aga...takes less then a min!!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

only instants for me at the moment.

Was thinking of getting a coffee maker, but I'm the only person in the house to drink coffee so it'd probably be a bit extreme for 1 cuppa.

How does the cafeteire thingy work (the image in Captn Midnight's post)?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

byte wrote:
    only instants for me at the moment.

Was thinking of getting a coffee maker, but I'm the only person in the house to drink coffee so it'd probably be a bit extreme for 1 cuppa.

How does the cafeteire thingy work (the image in Captn Midnight's post)?
    that's a Bialletti Moka Express.

MokaCoffeePot_2006-07-14.png

Basically there are 3 components, the whole thing screws apart. The bottom part (A), you put in the water, then into that slots a "basket" (B) where you put the coffee, then the "jug" part (C) screws onto the top.

You horse it onto the stove and pressure builds in the bottom as the water boils, and its goes up through the coffee under pressure, and out a spout into the top part.

Its the way italians traditionally make their coffee at home. It makes strong (espresso strength) coffee. Obviously can be topped up with boiling water to make a normal strength.

They come in all sizes, so if you're the only person who drinks coffee, then go for the 1 cup size. I have a 3 cup, but I'm a glutton. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I posted a youtube clip showing exactly how to use:
    http://pie.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055091825

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

I've had a few machines, including two Gaggias (one of which was very expensive), a press, a Balletti stove top perculator (still have one for taking away with me on hols) but currently make all my coffee, fresh ground, from this Jura machine:

http://www.fairfax.jura.com/home_fairfax_x/products_home_use/c_line/impressa_c5.htm

It's the best I've experienced and I'd certainly consider it worth it if you can afford it (especially, I guess, if you drink several cups a day).

What I actually drink depends on humour and the quality of beans I have in - good beans and I'm more likely to drink espressos or Americanos. Poor ones and I'll make a latte.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    that's a Bialletti Moka Express.

MokaCoffeePot_2006-07-14.png

Basically there are 3 components, the whole thing screws apart. The bottom part (A), you put in the water, then into that slots a "basket" (B) where you put the coffee, then the "jug" part (C) screws onto the top.

You horse it onto the stove and pressure builds in the bottom as the water boils, and its goes up through the coffee under pressure, and out a spout into the top part.

Its the way italians traditionally make their coffee at home. It makes strong (espresso strength) coffee. Obviously can be topped up with boiling water to make a normal strength.

They come in all sizes, so if you're the only person who drinks coffee, then go for the 1 cup size. I have a 3 cup, but I'm a glutton. ;)
    Ah thanks for that. Might get one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

French press all the way. For now... :D

Advertisement