Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coffee fans - How do you brew yours?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

French press. I have one at home and my own one in work (the machine coffee in work is disgusting).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

(from the other thread I started before I was shown this one!)

I tend to use a French Press as it makes a decent cup with minimal hassle - although I might go for instant if I'm in more of a rush or out of real coffee. I think the ground coffee I use might be too fine and should be for a drip-maker - maybe someone could suggest the best type of coffee to use in one of these (or suggest a good device to get the beans to the right consistency myself!).

I also have an espresso maker which I use from time to time, but I can never seem to make anything decent out of it. Don't think it's that good a machine tbh, or else I'm just not using it right.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

flogen wrote:

I tend to use a French Press as it makes a decent cup with minimal hassle - although I might go for instant if I'm in more of a rush or out of real coffee. I think the ground coffee I use might be too fine and should be for a drip-maker - maybe someone could suggest the best type of coffee to use in one of these (or suggest a good device to get the beans to the right consistency myself!).

I also have an espresso maker which I use from time to time, but I can never seem to make anything decent out of it. Don't think it's that good a machine tbh, or else I'm just not using it right.
    Hiya flogen.

I use the french press myself when lazy thouugh the coffee should be left standing at least 3 mins before pressing, never tried it with an espresso grind, might try it later.

I bought an MC2 recently from Happy Donkey, they're a UK crowd, I ordered on a friday and recieved it on a monday. Here's a link, I discussed it in detail with Gran Hermano. If you decide to purchase let me know and I'll send you the details.

I use it for espresso grind and haven't adjusted it to try for a grind suitable for a press, I may try it out though. I use the espresso grind in my 'drip-machine' with great results IMO.

Your espresso machine may not be up to it, some of the posters here are great and will offer some good advice I'm sure. What make and model is the espresso maker? I measure the water with my espresso cup, and use about a heaped table spoon of freshly ground coffee, don't know if this ideal but it works for me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

flogen wrote:

If your espresso maker cost under €100 its probably crap. Throw it away.

If you are interested in a decent espresso machine I'd recommend a Gaggia, but you'll be spending €250+.

If you are interested in less of an investment, I thoroughly recommend a Bialletti Moka. These are 100% the best cost vs performance coffee maker out there.

I have a french press as well, I often find that you generally end up with some sentiment at the end of the mug. You need a coarse ground coffee to reduce this. So defeinetly no Illy, Lavazza etc. You could try some of the Bewleys ground stuff, or probably a better idea - avoid the supermarkets and try some of the gourmet food shops around dublin (that place on wicklow st, donnybrook fair, avoca, epicurean food hall etc etc).

Seriously consider the moka - you won't look back.

Thanks for the comments Mr. Magnolia - I usually leave it standing but sometimes forget and press it shortly after pouring the water in.

Thanks to reactor too - might get one of those moka devices as they look pretty good for their price. Anywhere in Dublin you can get them or are you better looking online?

The coffee I use in the french press does tend to get through into the mug to some degree, especially in the last cup out of it (where the coffee would be sitting in most after its been plunged).

Might have a look around and see what I can find that suits it better than the espresso grind I'd use (and the espresso machine I have probably did cost under 100 but can't be sure, someone got it for me).

• Advertisement

flogen wrote:
    hanks to reactor too - might get one of those moka devices as they look pretty good for their price. Anywhere in Dublin you can get them or are you better looking online?

Are you familiar with Stock, on Sth King St (i think), across from Wagamamma? They have a good selection. You'll probably get them in Arnotts as well.

What make and model is your espresso machine - will be able to tell you fairly quickly if the fault is with you or the machine (or both)?

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Are you familiar with Stock, on Sth King St (i think), across from Wagamamma? They have a good selection. You'll probably get them in Arnotts as well.

What make and model is your espresso machine - will be able to tell you fairly quickly if the fault is with you or the machine (or both)?

I think I might know the place you're talking about - but I know the area anyway so I'm sure I'd find it.

The machine is a Rowenta ES 055 - apparently...!

flogen wrote:
    I think I might know the place you're talking about - but I know the area anyway so I'm sure I'd find it.

The machine is a Rowenta ES 055 - apparently...!
    Right, i had an expresso machine like that once. Its not worth the bother to be honest. It won't produce anything you would consider "espresso".

My verdict: Fúck it in the bin.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but these things all take up precious kitchen space, and it won't pull its weight.

FYI its an "electric steam espresso machine"... more info:

The electric Steam espresso machine still does not produce a true 8 bar espresso, since they operate at around 2 - 4 bar. These are the famous $49 to $99 dollar specials from the department stores. They can be quickly identified by the large round, screw top on top of the machine, which is used to fill the boiler. These are entry-level machines and once people discover true espresso, they put these in the yard/garage sale.

electricteam2.jpg

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Right, i had an expresso machine like that once. Its not worth the bother to be honest. It won't produce anything you would consider "espresso".

My verdict: Fúck it in the bin.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but these things all take up precious kitchen space, and it won't pull its weight.

Ha! Not harsh at all - had tried it out a few times and never made anything other than brown water with a slight hint of coffee taste. Just wanted to be sure it wasn't me doing something wrong.

Will go on the hunt for a moka and ditch the machine - maybe invest in a solid one down the line.

Cheers for the advice - the steam thing is to be banished!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

flogen wrote:
    The coffee I use in the french press does tend to get through into the mug to some degree, especially in the last cup out of it (where the coffee would be sitting in most after its been plunged).

This is most often due to using too fine a grind for a French press. If you're
    ending up with what looks like a rusty looking rim around the inside of the cup
    or sediment in the bottom you need a coarser grind for the press.

If you're going for a moka pot, Bialetti is probably the brand leader and it'll make it easier when you're looking for
    a replacement screen or washers (you can easily order them online).
    I believe Arnotts stock them, but they're probably cheaper online.

I've found the 2 cup moka pots produce better results than the larger 4 or 6
    pot varieties.

You'll get better results from the moka than the Rowenta.;)

Edited to add Hasbean has a pretty good selection in stock including the stainless steel ones
    (easier to clean than the aluminium models) and they ship to Ireland.
    Avoid the cheaper non-brand moka pots as the rubber gaskets
    tend to cause trouble and keep them all away from the dishwasher.

• Advertisement

One more thing Flogen, there is a model of Bialetti called the Brikka.

I haven't seen it available in any store in ireland, but it is readily available online.

The difference between it and the traditional moka is that it has a special valve that creates a crema (froth on top of espresso). I used one once in Italy and I was very impressed with the results.

The normal moka coffee will have no crema, but will still taste great, but this one will be even closer to proper espresso.

Give it serious consideration.

Brikka is GBP 49.95 on Hasbean.

Don't suppose anyone has used this model, looks interesting.
    The Bialette Grillo

grillo.jpg
    Must confess I'm a fan of the original hexagonal pot from a design viewpoint.

You can get a two cup Brikka for about €42 on

http://www.bella-italia.com./cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/gondola/moka/brikka.htm?L+gondola+dxgk8465+1180487834

or $50 on

http://www.bialettishop.com/BrikkaMain.htm

so that hasbean link is overpriced.

As for the Grillo, I've seen them, same as a moka except the coffee goes straight into the cup instead of the pot. I wouldn't bother tbh.

I'd a look at the Bialetti online shop, their prices are
    pretty cheap when you take the euro/USD exchange rate
    into account. I hadn't realised they ship to Ireland.

I'd a look at the Bialetti online shop, their prices are
    pretty cheap when you take the euro/USD exchange rate
    into account. I hadn't realised they ship to Ireland.

That shop doesn't seem to ship outside the US.

The 42euro one looks good though - the site doesn't seem to have a 4/6 cup brikka though

here's a place that ships internationally - http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product_Id=4032658&JRSource=shopzilla.datafeed.BIA+06988

a lot of online reviews think the smaller 2-cup makes a better quality coffee.

Thanks for that Reactor - looks like they don't have the 2-cup ones but not a huge deal - might go with this one all the same.. works out just over €50 with shipping if I've added it up right.

Probably buy one myself for that price

Let us know what the price is including shipping once they confirm, might
    be worth you adding to the stickies at the top.

Let us know what the price is including shipping once they confirm, might
    be worth you adding to the stickies at the top.

Have one up there, Online coffee resources :) I'll add it in when I purchase

• Advertisement

Picked up a 1-cup biatteli in Arnotts today - just a normal one (not a brikka). It was either that or a 3-cup and I decided against that as I'd generally be making espresso for me only. I will pick up the Lidl one tomorrow though, just to see what it's like (and if it's crap I'll chuck it - only a fiver!)

Quite happy with the results, although it's certainly an acquired taste to some degree. Might start experimenting with different variations now too.

One thing I'm not clear on - besides monitoring the water level and figuring what height it should come up to, is there any way to know when the little tank is empty? I suppose when it starts spluttering you know there's only air coming from it...

Flogen... yes as you say, when it starts sputterring kill the heat.

Leave it for a minute though, as there might be a little carry through.

A few points to note (in case I haven't already mentioned them).

Don't use soap/washing up liquid on it. It will impair the flavour. Clean only with hot water.

The water tank over time will develop deposits / residues that you can't clean. Don't worry about them.

What kind of coffee are you using? I hope it is Lavazza or Illy or Palombini or something similar. Espresso grind.

Advertisement