Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Injured stray/'wild' cat

Options
  • 12-05-2007 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭

For the past few days I've noted a black and white cat slowly coming to the stables for food (As that's where I feed the animals). Initially it was very shy and ran off if I got anywhere near it, but I eventually earned its trust and allows me to pet it.

However, the thing that's gotten me worried is that its tail has been injured - potentially being run overed, and fell off. I believe it's been at it for awhile as there's not much of a tail left, and the sight of it is shocking.

I have tried to get it into a transporting cage to bring it to the vet, but it just freaked out and gave me a good scratching and ran off not trusting me for the remainder of the day [I guess picking it causes it some great pain].

What advise would you give in this situation? Would it be better to call the vet to come down here if I'm unable to catch it again? Looking at the injury, it looks like there'd be a good chance of the base of the spine becoming infected, potentially paralysing it. :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭JB1

Wolf,
    not sure where you located.Would advise you find a cat rescue in the neighbourhood and get a trap.Trap the cat and get her to the vet.make sure you mention to the vet she is a ferral and needs to be handled with gloves!

Cats aid
    kitten adoption

are groups in dublin who might be able to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Yeah, the DSPCA or ISPCA should also be able to help - hopefully the plan will be to catch it, fix it, then return it to where it was caught

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Contact a local rescue or mention this on petsireland - I had to trap a stray male last week cause he had a snare around him - hes been neutered & treated & re-released into the wild.

Advertisement