Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

comparing Macbeth to how many miles to babylon.

Options
  • 12-05-2007 9:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this question is a bit anal but, I have had no English teacher for the last three weeks and I am really finding it difficult comparing Macbeth to babylon and My left foot.

I understand them quite well its just I find linking Macbeth to the other two is not working particularly well for me, and to make matters worse I am covering the single text on my own as my teacher is totally incompetent and hasent covered the single text in a satisfactory manner.

I got a C1 in the mocks which I wasnt expecting, but I would like to at least maintain that mark with the comparative.

Anybody care to enlighten me?:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Hmm.. well it all depends on what angle you want to compare them from?

Actually honestly I can't remember either of these texts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Did you change your texts?, I did and I am probably going to pay the price.:o
    I was thinking mainly the general vision and viewpoint and cultural context which is easy with the other two but a bit tricky with Macbeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

The themes you identify don't have to be identical in the three texts, identify one theme in a book and say if it is present in the other two, or not and if not why not? That sort of thing. Say in Macbeth, there is a bloodthirsty desire to succeed. In mlf this sort of emotion manifests as a desire to beat the odds of christy's condition. Arguably Christy succeeds because he picked the right way to do it, unlike Macbeth who fails. Something like that.

Thanks for the advice brian:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Naikon wrote:
    Did you change your texts?, I did and I am probably going to pay the price.:o
    I was thinking mainly the general vision and viewpoint and cultural context which is easy with the other two but a bit tricky with Macbeth.

No I've just neglected my comparatives! I'm ok on a theme/issue (I can remember from what I did in the mocks. Got a C1 too) but for viewpoint and cultural context I'm not up to scratch

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Naikon wrote:
    Thanks for the advice brian:)

No probs, afraid I've never read babylon so I don't know what to say about that, but its the same basic idea.

I was abandoned by my English teacher in LC too, the bint!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

OK, Im doing Macbeth for the single text but bsabylon as part of my comparative.

Anyway, you could mention that the relationships between Macbeth & Lady Macbeht ANd Alec & Jerry both fail.

You could also mention how both socities are corrput with violence and family life is very damaging.

Thanks again for the help so far:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

Are you sure Macbeth is one of your three comparatives?

Afaik, Macbeth is the stand alone text and you don't contrast it with any of MLF and Babylon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

There are like 5 or 6 stand alones. Macbeth can also be used in the Comparative if it is not used as the stan alone.

MacB & MLF: Christy's mum encourages him & works for him to better himself (Dr. Cole & Wheelchair) and one could also argue that Lady Macbeth pushed Macbeth into doing what he did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

I suppose you could compare and contrast them all in relation to the wife-husband dynamic. All of them put a fair bit of focus on marriages and theyre all fairly interesting.Between Christy's mother and father, Frederick and Alicia and Macbeth and Lady macbeth theres a lot to compare there

Advertisement