Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Demoscene

Options
  • 12-05-2007 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

You know these... you tried downloading an odd bunch from ftp.demoscene.org and found some were excellent and some strange. But anyone get really really into them? The Groups and Compo events themselves? How far back did you start watching these?

I downloaded a few under the dos days in 1993-96 - especially when the net became widely available. I accidently bump into them time and time again until 2002 and started watching them more often. Groups such as .farbrausch really really grabbed my attention with demos like fr08_final.zip (classic 64Kb one with surreal scenes that play for 10mins!) and the laters ones like fr-025.zip (the one with the hippie dancer) and fr-052.zip.

I didn't realise the full extent of so many good ones out there - especially 4K ones. Most of them would get a 7/10+ by my reckoning. Some are genius like the 4K "San Angeles Observation" - a cityscene complete with music.

I decided to start going through all of these demos and organize them in a spreadsheet. I went through appox 50 so far since last week. It seems from looking at upcoming events like Assembly 2007 - it's only becoming more and more mainstream. So far I have only checked out the Pc demos - I haven't tried out the Amiga / Atari / C64 scene yet. Some awesome ones from the Vic20 there lately too. Those 8-bit ones are real tests since they don't "cheat" by swelling up in memory to take advantage of say being only a 4K packed file full of instructions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

What is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Timans wrote:
    What is this?

These are demos done by teams showing off what they can do. You can see plenty from http://www.pouet.net/

and here is a list from Assembly 2006.

http://www.pouet.net/party.php?which=7&when=2006

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

I mis-read it,

I thought it said the Demonscene.

Sorry, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Used to be majorly into it in the C64 days, TNT and Eclipse ftw!..er...yes, fond memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Future Crew's Unreal demo is the longest I have watched so far weighing at 18mins while Farbrausch's fr-08: the product comes in at 11mins. That one pretty impressive for being packed initially in a 64Kb file.

Any demo stand out for you?

the prophecy - project nemesis by Conspiracy is another outstanding demo! There are many more good ones I remember but I have come across them yet. Gone through 4hrs+ worth since last week.

• Advertisement
Advertisement