Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I figured you people could help me ?

Options
  • 12-05-2007 10:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭

I need a soloution. So I want to send some data, in ASCII format over say RS232 serial, I need to send it between 1 and 2 kilometers not line of sight really, I was thinking cb or something, it doesnt need to be fast (5kbps is alright)

Does anyone know of a protable rs232 transciever that opperates on a licence free band in this computer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

RTTY?

There are a couple of amateurs who frequent here, and will probably have a better idea than me.

Any ideas, folks?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

433MHz Licence free modules come in 1200bps 1km or 9,600bps 500m versions that take TTL serial (adapting to PC RS323 is simple).

With a couple of 70cm band Yagi you should get 2km. I don't know it that is legal or not. There may be an ERP limit.

WiFi will do 5km to 8km (2420MHz) on a pair of MMDS style dishes. Dlink have a dedicated WiFi Bridge which is reverse SMA, then use a reverse SMA to N-Female for the cable tail on the mesh dish.

Weather proof box and run CAT5 up to chimney.

You don't want RTTY, It's only 5 bits or so and 75 baud!

You can also buy comercial outdoor boxes on the Licence free 864Mhz band that do RS232.

Both the 433 and 864 are one way. If you need two way then use both solutions as the 864 & 433 MHz are easily filtered. You can't do two way full duplex on either channel on its own.

The 2.4GHz doesn't need "real" LOS for 2km. I've used a pair of video senders on MMDS dishes with no additional amplifier for 6km with no TX visible.

Advertisement