Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don't believe the hype?

Options
  • 12-05-2007 11:09pm
    Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Im aware that many of the promises are deliberatley misleading e.g. promised tax cuts (subject to what is likely to be unreaslitic economic growth) whilst many other promises have been said before.
    Do you actually believe any of them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

kbannon wrote:
    Im aware that many of the promises are deliberatley misleading e.g. promised tax cuts (subject to what is likely to be unreaslitic economic growth) whilst many other promises have been said before.
    Do you actually believe any of them?

Based of the broken promises in the last ten years I do not! We are having statistics trotted out daily by the CSO and therein is also a good deal of folklore!

I would vote for the opposition on the mere basis that the incumbents have made an unholy hash of things so I would be curious to see if others could do any worse!

We have one of the highest paid, lowest sitting parliaments in Europe, presided by a man who mistrusts banks and gets dig-outs from "friends", some of who get appointments as friends would.

The scary promises are the FF/PD ones where in ten years we are still waiting for the original promises to materialise. Ten years in politics is a very short time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

No I don't believe any of them ie. FF, PD, FG, Labour

FF/PDs for obvious reasons of pissing up every penny as possible over the past 10 years

FG/Labour with our economy going to be up the sh!tcreek for the next 5 years tax cuts to 18% etc. will be completely unsustainable

Broken promises from both sides are absolutely inevitable.

The issue for me out of that lot is who will do the best job of trying to manage the economic mess that will hit our country for the next 5 years. If FF/PDs couldn't get it right under 10 years of incredible prosperity and healthy budgets what chance in hell do they have of doing it when budgets will be slashed! I trust FG and Lab to do a better job of managing the sh!t that hits the fan but broken promises from them are inevitable and as a result FF will be having a field day in oppositon attacking them over the mess they themselves has created.

In saying this, the Labour giveaway with FG may see may Labour vote float the way of the Greens come May 24th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭JerkyBoy

Most likely most of all of the main promises will be dependent on a strong economy. Since that is not certain then the promises are not certain.

This might not bode well for Enda Kenny if he is elected since he is running on a platform of his "contract" and is giving gaurantees.

Of all their promises most are the same but I will be voting LAB\FG because I believe one of their policies contrasts sharply with FF\PDs.

I believe LAB\FG will reverse the trend of subsidising the private health service, while FF\PDs will continue it and worse, increase it with their plans to build more private hospitals on public grounds.

The private sector should fund itself completely and should compete with the public sector.
    The Government should focus purely on reforming the public sector and improving it and not spend our money enriching the private health market.

I will personally continue to make use of the private health system, but will vote for those who I believe will improve out public health system so that I may some day return to it.
    That is FG\LAB.

It is clear that FF\PDs have no plans to figure out the health service mess and are due to continue ahead with helping to enlarge the private sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I beleive the Green when they say that they can cut VAT on most products.

But being ultra green I would put VAT on products with lots of unneed packaging or packaging that isn't recyclable. Just an Idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

That's elections for you and it has always been that way. Nowadays though there are so many promises that one or two is bound to register. FG have targetted everything and promised to change our lives. FF have promised to be good, the PDs have promised not to return us to darker, scarier times, the Greens to let us have a few roads and even SF have promised to promise what everyone else is promising.

As regards the broken promises, it is important to identify the ones that genuinely matter. Promises will be broken in politics for many reasons.

Massive lists of everything that anyone ever failed to do can give us a picture but without the perspective.

• Advertisement
Advertisement