Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

5 years for arson attack on Ferrari

Options
  • 12-05-2007 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭

I just don't understand the Irish legal system. Albanian scumbag burns a Ferrari and gets sentenced to 5 years in prison. Lituanian scumbag knocks down and kills 3 men while drink driving and gets 3 years in prison. WTF.

"AN Albanian man who said a "message from God" told him to set fire to a Ferrari car valued at €132,000 has been jailed for five years.

Safet Bukoshi (34), of Whiteoaks, Clonskeagh, told gardai he "received a message from God in English" to burn the Ferrari and his wife's Ford Fiesta, but he was unable to find a lighter to set fire to the Fiesta.

A jury at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court found him guilty on day-five of his trial of arson of two cars, including the €132,000 Ferrari, at Whiteoak, Clonskeagh, on May 12, 2004.

He was also convicted of attempted arson of a petrol pump and setting fire to a brief case and jacket in the forecourt of the Shell Service Station, Roebuck Road, Clonskeagh, endangering customers on the same day.

Judge Frank O'Donnell told Bukoshi: "I regret to have to say, that from the evidence and your likelihood to repeat given the fact you are wanted in Scotland for a similar offence since commiting this one, that you are a walking time bomb." He imposed concurrent sentences totalling five years' imprisonment. Mr Michael O'Higgins, SC, told the judge there was an arrest warrant outstanding for Bukoshi for a fire allegedly set in Scotland before he was picked up by gardai in March 2005. He added the Scottish authorities application to the High Court that Bukoshi be surrendered after sentencing in Ireland had been granted."

http://www.unison.ie/stories.php3?ca=9&si=1828375&issue_id=15615

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Five years for burning a car sounds pretty crazy to me. Especially given that the perpetrator is most likely unwell.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

DonJose wrote:
    I just don't understand the Irish legal system. Albanian scumbag burns a Ferrari and gets sentenced to 5 years in prison. Lituanian scumbag knocks down and kills 3 men while drink driving and gets 3 years in prison. WTF

Recidivism

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭maidhc

unkel wrote:
    Recidivism

Indeed.

Nothing to see here, move along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

5yrs is alot for burning a car in my opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Anan1 wrote:
    Five years for burning a car sounds pretty crazy to me. Especially given that the perpetrator is most likely unwell.
    Its not extreme, he has a habit of burning things it seems, he should be off the streets. 10 years it should have been if you ask me.

The lad that murdered the 3men whilst drink driving should also be jailed for 10 years in my opinion.

This country needs more jails and longer sentences to sort it out, theres no deterrents whatsoever in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

The guy who burned the car went out to with the intention of burning the car.
    As bad as it was what the drink driver did, he didn't intend to kill those people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Under normal circumstances and just looking at it basically, one man kills people the other burns a car, then it doesn't make sense. But on the other hand... in the real world, like it or not, thousands of people in this country drink and drive. It's being clamped down on, but it's still accepted as something that happens. One guy does it, and pays the ultimate price by killing people. He'll have to live with that for the rest of his life. Now it's his own fault, and I'm not condoning it in any way, but thats the way it is. This other guy is a fruit cake who is wanted in another country for crazy acts, and tried to burn a petrol pump among other things... that could have been catastrophic. He's like a time bomb - a regular offender. Thats where the judges logic is coming from.
    If the first guy was wanted in another country for drink driving and had 4 or 5 convictions here for it, I guarantee that after killing someone then his sentence would be far far worse.

Nuttzy wrote:
    Its not extreme, he has a habit of burning things it seems, he should be off thestreets. 10 years it should have been if you ask me.
    I'm no psychiatrist, but it would seem obvious to me that someone who keeps setting fire to things is not well. We have facilities for the criminally insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Anan1 wrote:
    I'm no psychiatrist, but it would seem obvious to me that someone who keeps setting fire to things is not well. We have facilities for the criminally insane.

Yeah, in this guys case; a 1 way ticket back to Albania plus being forbidden to set foot in the state again sounds about right to me.

The guy tries to blow up a petrol pump and some goon comes along saying it's nothing as major as accidentally killing 3 people (albeit with mitigating circumstances in favour of the prosecution). EDIT: I suspect the sentence took other offences into account...i.e He didn't get 5 years JUST for blowing up a Ferrari

It would seem that that could lead to the intentional death or serious injury of many people within a radius of a few hundred yards of the pump.

Remember the incident in Tipp a few months back: Bin set on fire, bin explodes sets car on fire; car explodes sets house on fire; woman dies!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭omega man

Onkle wrote:
    As bad as it was what the drink driver did, he didn't intend to kill those people

Thats why we have such a bad drink driving record in this country. If you drink and drive you are in a position to kill yourself or worse, others. Its the same thing imo. He may not have got into his car and thought i am going to run someone over but his actions predetermined that this outcome was possible if not inevitable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I'm with Anan here, that man needs professional help, not prison.

But what about little Anto or Jonno who burn a car a week? (on purpose)
    Do we have to wait until they've racked up the value of a Ferrari before they get punished?

peasant wrote:
    I'm with Anan here, that man needs professional help, not prison.

But what about little Anto or Jonno who burn a car a week? (on purpose)
    Do we have to wait until they've racked up the value of a Ferrari before they get punished?
    Regardless of whether someone is bad or unwell, society needs to be protected from people who set fire to things. The question in each case has to be whether punishment or treatment is more likely to yield the desired results.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

ninty9er wrote:
    The guy tries to blow up a petrol pump and some goon comes along saying it's nothing as major as accidentally killing 3 people (albeit with mitigating circumstances in favour of the prosecution). EDIT: I suspect the sentence took other offences into account...i.e He didn't get 5 years JUST for blowing up a Ferrari
    No petrol pump was burned out, a car was burned out. In the other case 3 people died, 3 families lost loved ones. Your logic says a lot about who you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Its more mental homes are needed here, not jails, most of the crime commited in Ireland is due to poor mentality and madness. Instead of locking people up with other loonatics they should be helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

there seems to be a lot of confusion between personality disorder ( the person is just bad) and psychosis.
    The guy said he had heard voices but as far as I know there was no psychiatric report furnished. Either any psychiatric assessment found him to be sane, or he should have gotten a better barrister.

That said 5 years does seem a long sentence compared to the 3year suspende the rapist got.

Maybe I'm not successfully making the point that 5 years was about spot on, while the other eejit should have gotten 10 for killing 3 people.

Rapists as mentioned by Traumadoc should just be hung from electricity wires for all to stone! No amount of time is enough, but that's not for this forum

ninty9er wrote:
    Maybe I'm not successfully making the point that 5 years was about spot on, while the other eejit should have gotten 10 for killing 3 people.

Rapists as mentioned by Traumadoc should just be hung from electricity wires for all to stone! No amount of time is enough, but that's not for this forum

I know it escapes some, but for most ordinary people getting 3 years time in portlaoise is pretty much a life altering event, and is not exactly easy. I think if you did something stupid which involved a car (which may have resulted in people getting killed), getting 3 years is severe enough.

This idea of giving out mad long sentences of 10 years to someone who is not likely to re offend, and is genuinely remorseful is not going to do anything other than cost the state a fortune. It sounds good, politicians say it, Joe Duffy says it, the people who are "tough on crime" say it, but frankly they are talking utter sh1te.

I have been in prisons, and by Christ they are not places I'd like to spend 3 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Onkle wrote:

You have a point in what you say but Drink Driving to me is one of the most serious things someone can do.

The man that killed the people should have been given 15 years "5 years per person "MINIMUM" right up to 20 years.

logik wrote:
    The man that killed the people should have been given 15 years "5 years per person "MINIMUM" right up to 20 years.

Why? Is the drink element? Or just a general rule you believe should exist?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

maidhc wrote:
    I'm with logik on this one. The current drink driving punishments are not acting as sufficient deterrent and long, lifechanging custodial sentences might get it through the thick heads of some of the 350 people who will get caught drinking and driving betwen now and this time next week that they could kill someone simply because their judgement was impaired by as little as two pints.

Any loon who burns somones car, whether as a result of a direct order from God (who we know speaks Hebrew BTW and not english) deserves to spend the rest of his life pondering his stupidity. Being Albanian is not an excuse, being mentally unstable might be but there are ways of checking for either...

'cptr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

I'm with logik on this one. The current drink driving punishments are not acting as sufficient deterrent and long, lifechanging custodial sentences might get it through the thick heads of some of the 350 people who will get caught drinking and driving betwen now and this time next week that they could kill someone simply because their judgement was impaired by as little as two pints.

Any loon who burns somones car, whether as a result of a direct order from God (who we know speaks Hebrew BTW and not english) deserves to spend the rest of his life pondering his stupidity. Being Albanian is not an excuse, being mentally unstable might be but there are ways of checking for either...

'cptr

Exactly, i just feel the current way in which the Irish LAW deals with drink driving is ridiculous. This crack you hear of a man getting a Suspended 5 year sentence and crap like that are a complete joke. The LAW system needs to be firm and not budge on rulings made.

maidhc wrote:

It's the drink element for me, though I can see where you're coming from on the nastiness of prisons. In fairness though drink driving and killing someone, then saying it was an accident, is like blowing up the Palace of Westminster and saying, "oh I was aiming for Buckingham palace"

Advertisement