Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to pull the plug on Eurovision?

Options
  • 12-05-2007 11:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or does the eurovision get more embarrasing, cringeworthy and more trashy with the most horrible music ever to be heard by the ears of mankind?

Is it fair to say that this has just turned into a political block love affair bewtween former soviet countries?

Wasn't Terry Wogan's comments on the UK/Ireland and that horrible woman in the green room dressed like a princess pretty amusing but at the same time quite sad.....

I think all of the major countries should pull out (or have two seperate comps) this is just focking ridiciouls

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

How about a rule that states that you can't vote for a country with which you've either been invaded by, ruled by or at war with in the past 20 years :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

the only way it could continue with any credibility at all (becuase to be honest I thought it was moving in the right direction last year with Lordi - wether you like their music or not it wasn't a political vote for Finland.....)
    anyway back to the point the only way would be to completely change the format and have musicians from the countries voting for the best songs - cause right now it's so far from a song contest it's sad...........last night was the worst yet I think........what amazed me most was Marty Whelan still being shocked on country no 39 not giving us a vote, if Ireland are just going to try and send over people that have no chance in the world of keeping us in the top 10-20 you may as well pull out anyway, because even if voting on best songs we'd have come nowhere last night.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

They're not going to change the format. About one billion viewers and votes at about 60c each = a very tidy profit, even if only 1% of the viewers vote. I don't think there's any reason for the Irish to get in a huff over the dismal display last night. The song was ****, the performance was ****, it was twee and forgettable and had nothing that would appeal to the kind of people who are actually spending money voting for this crap. It was a modern interpretation of what Dana did 30 odd years ago. The Eurovision is all about entertainment, about being catchy, fancy dances about mild titillation and putting on a show. The Irish entries for the last few years and been dull, insipid and getting further and further away from the kind of thing that's winning. It would appear that it's kids who are voting. Kids don't listen to twee ****e about blackbirds. Remember how they took the piss out of Mael Mordha a few years ago and then Lordi win with something similar? The people who decide what the Irish entry is haven't got the balls to try something different and need to cop the **** on, stop trying to live on whatever legacy is still there. The competition has changed, if they ever want to win or even do well again, the Irish entry needs to change too and change drastically. Time so find someone at least moderately attractive, who can do more than an awkward shuffle you'd be embarassed to see in Copperface jacks or get down on one bleedin knee, show some flesh, add a beat and put out something that will give people a laugh or at least get their toe tapping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

I thought the UK had the right idea but they didn't do much better

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

In the current format, I cannot see Ireland, UK, France, Spain, Portugal, Germany, Belgium, Luxembourg, Holland winning.

Yes, the Irish song wasn't great, but it wasn't the worst song of the night either.

I think we should follow Italy's example.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Nordie

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    In the current format, I cannot see Ireland, UK, France, Spain, Portugal, Germany, Belgium, Luxembourg, Holland winning.

Yes, the Irish song wasn't great, but it wasn't the worst song of the night either.

I think we should follow Italy's example.

What did Italy do???

• Registered Users Posts: 7 KOD

Eurovision is the biggest load of crap ever! Our song was far from the worst and at least it reflected our culture as opposed to half the contestants that didn't even sing in their native language. The people that vote are mostly brown-nosers licking up to their neighbours. Look at the Irish vote, the only reason Lithuania and Latvia got our top votes is because the huge numbers of their nationals in our country. [Not opposed to them being here but last night was tactical voting; and it's not racist to point that out.]

Why should we bother wasting our money and insulting our performers by sending them to a contest that they've already lost before beginning.

Pull the plug on it.

Nordie wrote:
    What did Italy do???
    Italy pulled out of the eurovision in 97. Haven't competed since. Political voting was deemed the reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

KOD wrote:
    Eurovision is the biggest load of crap ever! The people that vote are mostly brown-nosers licking up to their neighbours. Look at the Irish vote, the only reason Lithuania and Latvia got our top votes is because the huge numbers of their nationals in our country. [Not opposed to them being here but last night was tactical voting; and it's not racist to point that out.]

Why should we bother wasting our money and insulting our performers by sending them to a contest that the huge numbers of their nationals in our country.

Pull the plug on it.

You're wrong: "mostly brown-nosers licking up to their neighbours" is racism

Your wrong: " the huge numbers of their nationals in our country" is xenophobic" is 'racism lite'

Your wrong: " the huge numbers of their nationals in our country" is race based prejudice

Q: Did Ireland waste money on your education?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

You're wrong: "mostly brown-nosers licking up to their neighbours" is racism

Ehh ... where exactly in that statement is a racist remark? I could call you a "dumb f*ck" but that doesn't mean it's racist. There is no remark singling out a trait of a given ethnic population in that remark. Simply the comment that most of the people voting are sheep.
    Your wrong: " the huge numbers of their nationals in our country" is xenophobic" is 'racism lite'

Your wrong: " the huge numbers of their nationals in our country" is race based prejudice

Racism-lite? Is that like throwing an egg at someone's head instead of a brick? :rolleyes:

Get off your moral horse. The poster was correct in his assessment of why the top votes were going where they were going. As Noam Chomsky commented at his talk in Trinity College a couple of years ago; "Facts Matter. Even when we don't like what they say". We don't have facts per-se to show the voting demographic in this country, but it's a fair pinch to say that the large numbers of eastern european nationals living here are voting for their own countries or their neighbours. Nothing racist in it. Unless you then attach a remark like "Id jus wish dey'd f00k off home n'stop stealin' our baleedin' jobs" in which case you move from being a dumb f*ck to a dumb racist f*ck.
    Q: Did Ireland waste money on your education?

Evidently money was wasted on yours. You've shown you haven't a clue what racism is and is not. It's like governments claiming a burglar is a terrorist now. Every criminal is a terrorist so they can try them with harsher powers. You'll break the speed limit and become a "terrorist", etc. Same thing with racism. It's become the new bogeyman accusation to call people.

On a side note, I didn't see the Eurovision last night because I couldn't be arsed and had better things to do.

• Advertisement

MOD EDIT: Take a banning to cool off Sonnenblumen!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Lemming-you're such a modest person and how lucky the sheep must feel for you to leave them all alone to take time out and share your blah blah or is it bleat bleat logic with others.

Spare me with the high hills wooly vision.

I didn't see the euro but I can smell a sheep shagger a long way off.

I guess that nail I hit on the head in with the hammer must have hit a nerve on the way in .... Good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I enjoyed what I saw of it. I suppose you don't have to watch it if you don't like it.

Lemming - it does exactly what it says on the tin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Ban dancers (well anyone on-stage who doesn't contribute with an instrument or their voice) and introduce a new voting system where its a combination of the jury + public vote, a la strictly come dancing + the like.

BRING BACK JOHNNY!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

KOD wrote:
    Eurovision is the biggest load of crap ever! Our song was far from the worst and at least it reflected our culture as opposed to half the contestants that didn't even sing in their native language. The people that vote are mostly brown-nosers licking up to their neighbours. Look at the Irish vote, the only reason Lithuania and Latvia got our top votes is because the huge numbers of their nationals in our country. [Not opposed to them being here but last night was tactical voting; and it's not racist to point that out.
    Dervish sang a song entitled "They Can't Stop the Spring".....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

"Lemming-you're such a modest person and how lucky the sheep must feel for you to leave them all alone to take time out and share your blah blah or is it bleat bleat logic with others.

Spare me with the high hills wooly vision.

I didn't see the euro but I can smell a sheep shagger a long way off."

Whoever said the above hasa really covered themselves on glory, you actually feel this strongly about eurovision to mount a personal attack on someone. Fair play.

Anyone who watches eurovision for music and not comedic entertainment needs to lighten up. The only way to enjoy this is get a group of friends over, a few bottles of spirits and everyone pick a country or two and shots when you're country gets 12 or 6 points.

That and terry wogans banter should see you through... Also a note on the irish entry. I thought last years was pathetic but John Waters you have infact 'bettered' it. Is there anything you can't do? (Well apart from save his marraige with Sinead O Connor...)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

the Irish entry was woeful. A seasoned group like Dervish...she could not sing at all, tone deaf and as flat as a pancake (musically ;) ). Anyway who picked Dervish to represent us? Not the public anyway.

In fairness the winner has an excellent voice and was probably one of the better songs there.

I agree with Reactor, join Italy and pull the plug.

Question: But would we be still giving out if Ireland had won it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

KOD wrote:
    Our song was far from the worst and at least it reflected our culture as opposed to half the contestants that didn't even sing in their native language.

Thats exactly what was wrong with the Irish song. Nobody gives a **** about our culture, and they certainly showed they don't care about a woman who sings like a cat being raped. Its not about culture anymore, its about being completely off the wall, having a flashy stage show and a good song behind it. Look at the **** we've sent over the last few years:

Donna And Joe: A crappy ballad
    Brian Kennedy: A crappy ballad
    Dervish: A steaming pile of ****

Its time to wake up and realise that we are never going to get past last place again if we keep this trend up. Next year IMO, we need to send an act (possibly rock) with a pyrotechnic stage show and some eye candy dancers. Its the only way we're going to get anywhere with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

i wouldnt like to see it go, its so funny!!! i mean last year, lordi with their terrible lyrics: "the day of rockening" and "the arockalypse". i only seen 4 songs this year, thought the uk's one was really funny!!

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭crybaby

Dervish really were terrible but in fairness to the band it was largely down to the lead singer, you could barely hear her and in general her performance was terrible

Its a fairly ridiculous competition now at this stage, if we want to win it with the way it is now we would need to send some sort of novelty act like Richie Kavanagh or whoever did the Jumbo Breakfast Roll song, all these soppy weak ballds really dont fit the format of the thing anymore

Its a pity that no one takes it serious in the slightest bit, it actually does have the potential to be amazing if people were interested in making good music for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

The visual highlight of the performace was her walking off to get a bodhran. Last year it was yer man getting down on one knee for a verse. There's much to be said about the effort that goes into the Irish performace :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Why can't we go back to the old format of groups writing songs, sending them in then having the top 8 or so perform and let the public pick the winner (singer and song). Instead RTE decide either who will represent us or what song they sing. We should really enter as RTE instead of Ireland in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

crybaby wrote:
    Its a fairly ridiculous competition now at this stage
    It was always a ridiculous competition and we're slating it now that we aren't winning. And asking for the rules to be changed just so that we have a better chance of winning is silly.
    DarkJager wrote:
    Thats exactly what was wrong with the Irish song. Nobody gives a **** about our culture, and they certainly showed they don't care about a woman who sings like a cat being raped. Its not about culture anymore, its about being completely off the wall, having a flashy stage show and a good song behind it. Look at the **** we've sent over the last few years:

Donna And Joe: A crappy ballad
    Brian Kennedy: A crappy ballad
    Dervish: A steaming pile of ****

Its time to wake up and realise that we are never going to get past last place again if we keep this trend up. Next year IMO, we need to send an act (possibly rock) with a pyrotechnic stage show and some eye candy dancers. Its the only way we're going to get anywhere with it.
    Didn't a crappy ballad with absolutely no stage dancers and showbizzy malarky win it this year? And wasn't Donna and Joe's song an uptempo ditty?

Anyway, for a nation of people that claim we don't give a flying fook for the Eurovision we certainly all have very strong opinions on it.

I think the reason why we've been doing so badly over the last few years is down to one simple fact, the quality of the songs that we are sending over.
    If the song's were good enough we'd have a chance instead of this constant second guessing of what we think the Europeans will go for.

And as for people complaining about the Eastern Block countries voting for each other, funny how it's only a problem since we aren't winning it anymore.

RTE need to stop using the audience of the Late Late Show to pick the song, I'd think we'd have a better chance then.

BaZmO* wrote:
    And as for people complaining about the Eastern Block countries voting for each other, funny how it's only a problem since we aren't winning it anymore.

Its only now a problem since about 20 more of those countries got into the competition and telephone/text voting became de rigeur.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Its only now a problem since about 20 more of those countries got into the competition and telephone/text voting became de rigeur.
    That's fair enough about the Eastern countries but the point I was making was that neighbours always voted for each. Down through the years it was hilarious listening to Terry Wogan giving out about the likes of the Cypriots giving top marks to the Turks and vice versa.

The fact of the matter is that Europeans have an appalling taste in music and that fact is showcased every year in the European Song Contest. And unfortunately we've sunken to their level by trying to second guess what they'd like to hear rather than just sending over a good song.

Just looked at the Irish performance on Youtube and it's hilarious. Total brainwave to have giant flowers on the screens behind the performers, it really did make them look like leprechauns. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    But out of that bunch Germany was the only one to submit a decent song but it wasn't the type of song that fits in with Eurovision.

Stop sending over shi*te and the block voting really won't matter.

Look at the UK.. they usually give us a good few points, but not this year because it was absolute unmitigated bilge! And the Irish entry was clearly the worst song of the night and deserved it's place on the score board...

I know I'd hate to hear the music charts in Albania if they thought our song was worthy of 5 points.

It really should go back to songwriters submitting a tape of their song sung by the musician of their choice... I wrote one once... RTÉ said no to me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Alanthroneus

okay ... if we each build a rocket. attach it to the side of the country blast off and aim to land somewhere in the vicinity of Serbia we may have a chance to win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

pull the plug? Not a chance!!!
    It's huge now in Eastern Europe, as they've cracked what the public want! Asking to pull the plug is just a way out because we're crap at it now and it's a total fall from grace. We have to move with the times!
    We should enter Podge & Rodge or Dustin and then we'd probably win... then watch the Eurovision hysteria come back to these shores! :D

Just checked something - half of all the viewership on Sat night in the UK watched the Eurovision!

Advertisement