Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to pull the plug on Eurovision?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

It needs more necrolesbocest.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

archipelagic icicles - That's all i'm saying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Lilygilly

I was at the Eorovision in Helsinki at the weekend. I have to say that while our song wasnt that great, it definitley did not deserve getting only 5 points. Now I believe it sounded very flat on the tv, couldnt tell live, but even still, Chris Doran put in a shocker of a performance when he took part and he still got 8 points!!!!!!!
    Also I have to say that many of the press we were speakin to complemented us on at least doing our own thing and not prostituting ourselves the way Donna and Joe did.
    The problem with the Eurovision is definitley the voting system, but as the person already pointed out there is huge revenue in it. I cant even remember the song that won and I was there.
    What was even more shocking than the result on Saturday was the result of the Semi Final. If you marked out the countries that qualufied you can clearly see a dividing line between East and West. Switzerland and Denmark demonstrated all that the Eurovision is today and they did not qualify totally based on bloc voting.
    I also met Johnny Logan over there and rumor amont big wigs in RTE is that they may approach him to enter next year, and while he is totally reverred in the world of Eurovision, I dont know if he could get over the political votes!!!

Who you gonna call?

425952785_l.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭AidoCQS

Thaedydal wrote:

Yeah, you liked that too, that was nice

Here is the plan, stop the progress towards peace in the north, stop that maddness immediately. The Eurovision is on the line

Next Munster can claim independence followed by a little civil war where Cork finally declares independence from the rest of Ireland. A few bombs in Dublin should see the re-establishment of the pale, and lets build a 'Peace wall' around it while we are at it - its only a matter of time before the outer burbs realise its not worth the commute. Leinster can separate from Connaucht, Donegal from Ulster, they have always been talking about Independence from both, let them have it. Who is the next Slobo - Cowen would fit the bill, Arkan and his Tigers - McDowell & the PD's, organized crime, well that’s a toss up between Ferris & Bertie, let them kill each other over it. Throw in a few concentration camps and mass graves.

We can all kiss and make up in a few years and then create a voting block whereby

Cork, the Independant republic of.
    Munster (Limerick still under UN control).
    Connacht (Rumours Osama is in the mountains up there).
    Leinster (location of all the concentration camps)
    Dublin (Under constant sniper fire for twelve months)
    Ulster And don’t forget Donegal

all give each other 12 points. Its our only chance.
    If Yugoslavia can do it, why cant we?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

What exactly is the purpose of eusrovision at this stage? Does it have one? Other than to give Terry and Marty the chance to snigger and sneer for a couple of hours while the rest of us cover our ears at the crimes against music blasting from our tv.

There was a time when you van tune in expecting to even a few half-decent songs. These Eastern European countries are not only dodgy voters they're musically disabled.

Kudos to all the girlies in hot outfits though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

I thought Bulgaria should have won too. Or Belarus, but I´m biased. As for Ukraine, he/she got votes (ok, forgetting about the political voting too) because he is a superstar in Eastern Europe. That song sounds like it was written in 5 minutes but in general they´re good to sing along to. The drag character is just a comedy invention though, it´s like if we entered someone from gift grub. Or Father Ted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

only good thing to come out of the eurovision: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf1f5V_PeYY

still enthralling, and able to fill one with a nationalistic pride.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭bget

i think any one who is calling the eurovision a load of sh** and what not should keep any other comments to themselves and leave the discussion to people whio actually like the competition. While i will admitt that political voting does happen i'll also say live with it.. In the past when it was decided by judges the same thing happened so now instead of a couple of people who think they are all high and mighty decided what polical vote to make the citizens themselves are.
    On the note of Irelands entry, no disrespect intended, but it was predictable that it would not do well in eurovision. the eurovision has become all about specticle and not directly about the song.. The closest we have come recently was in the semi final of your a star a few years ago jean elliott had a song that could have won eurovision because it was up beat and catchy and could easily have been dressed up to make a real specticle out of it but instead who did the irish public choose to send??? a man, singing a slow song standing on the middle of the stage on his own!!!! That was a huge mistake.
    I think if Ireland are to compete competitively at eurovision level again a new committee which fresh ideas needs to be set up in Ireland and all if any influence from Linda Martin has to be ceased NOW!!! She does not know what she is talking about

Advertisement